12 comments

Horror Science Fiction Crime

My first day as a police officer began with a stomach ache and a decidedly absent appetite. I put on my brand new uniform, aligning the badge on my jacket and sliding my stun pistol into its stiff holster.

As I looked at myself in the holomirror in the living room, my roommate, Ginger, came out, stretching and yawning.

“You’re up early,” I said.

“I wanted to see you before you headed out.” Yawning, she shuffled to the kitchen unit and pushed the button for coffee. “You’re still sure this is your dream job?”

“Of course it is. You know how much it means to me.”

Ginger shrugged, eyes half-closed as if she was still asleep. “I know, I know. It’s just...nice people like you don’t last long here. I just want you to be sure this is what you want.”

I turned back to the holomirror and straightened my jacket for the tenth time. “It is.”

“In that case, have a good day, and bring back something good for dinner. I’m going back to bed.”

“Thanks for the sendoff,” I muttered to an empty room. Ginger snored loudly in response, the steaming coffee still sitting on the counter.

#

Although small, the Celestia precinct served a moderately extravagant portion of the greater Imagia area. It was everything I wanted, with just enough action to keep me busy without the constant fear of death police often faced. I was right where I wanted to be.

I stood in front of the entrance, looking up at the floating neon lights that glowed even at this early hour. A hot flash of pride rippled through my skin and I couldn’t help but grin as I strode up the stairs.

Inside I approached the help desk, the transparent glowing shape of a human turning to greet me.

“Good morning, and welcome to the Celestia Police Department,” it said in an excited tone. “How may I help you?”

“I’m Officer Alayna Clove, here for my first day.”

“Officer Alayna Clove,” the holo repeated. The image fizzed for a second before clarifying again. “Welcome to your new posting. Please report to Captain Vanil in Office Number 26.”

“Thank you,” I replied.

I found Captain Vanil’s office on the second floor not too far from the lift. I knocked confidently, and when the red strip around the door turned green, I turned the handle.

Captain Vanil sat at her desk, booted feet propped up next to the computer console from which a small holoimage emitted. As Vanil saw me enter, her honey-colored eyes flickered back to the holo.

“We’ll follow up later.”

The figure saluted and disappeared.

Vanil lifted her feet off the desk and sprang to her feet, coming towards me to grasp my hands. “I’m so glad you’re here. You’re Clove, right? The new officer?”

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied.

Realizing how tightly she’d been holding my hands, she cleared her throat and stepped back. “Your record is exemplary, and I'm excited you chose our little precinct. Your talent for resolving conflicts swiftly without violence is exactly what we need. I’ve got your first assignment already.”

I frowned. “Already? Is that usual?”

Vanil shrugged. “It’s not unheard of.” She nodded at my arm and I activated my wrist computer. “I’m transferring the information to you. A local baker has been robbed and something’s been stolen. Your task is to recover the stolen item.”

I nodded, scanning over the text she’d sent me. “Got it. Sounds easy enough.”

Vanil sighed in relief. “I’m glad you hear you say that. This particular bakery is a particular favorite among us here at the precinct and it would go a long ways for your local credit to solve this for us. Their doughnuts are particularly amazing, and I could really use a jelly-filled one right about now.”

“Sure thing. I’ll leave immediately.”

#

Following the directions on my wrist, I found the bakery just a few blocks away. The early morning traffic was just starting to thicken, and I enjoyed the attention as everyone’s eyes slid over my uniform.

The Cacao Cookie Club was a small establishment with that local hand-made feel to it that was so hard to find these days. Behind the window I counted thirty cupcakes, ten pies, three cakes, three dozen cookies in ten different flavors, and fifteen pastries. Each sat there in the early morning light, fluffy, and demanding to be eaten. The neon sign was dark, but I knocked on the door and a small woman answered.

“Excuse me, ma’am,” I said. “I’m Officer Clove. I’m here about the reported robbery.”

“Oh, good!” she said and stepped back to let me in. Most of the lights were off, but I could already smell the sweetness of baking cookies and pies. My stomach rumbled, apparently forgetting how disagreeable it had been just fifteen minutes earlier.

“I don’t recognize you, are you new?” the woman asked, eyes squinting at me in the dim light.

“Uh, yes ma’am,” I said, removing my hat. “I just transferred. This is my first day, actually. You’re my first case.”

Her face lit up. “Oh, that’s wonderful! I’m glad Captain Vanil picked you to help me. My name is Elesa, but everyone calls me Cookie.”

“Nice to meet you, Cookie. May I see the crime scene?”

Motioning for me to follow her, she led me behind the beautiful display cases and towers of delicious delectables to the kitchen. The scent of pastries grew stronger and I actually started drooling.

“The crime bots were here earlier, so you can touch anything you like,” Cookie said. I took a quick look around and didn’t immediately notice anything out of place. The spice jars lined up perfectly in their racks, each label facing outwards. The counters were completely clean and free of any hint of flour. Even the floors shined.

“What was taken?”

“Something...special.” She gave me a hesitant smile. “I’m sorry, it’s a secret ingredient and I’d like to keep it that way.”

I frowned. “I’m not sure if I can help much if I don’t know what was stolen. Can you show me where it was?”

“Of course.” Brushing past me, she crossed to the control panel on the wall by the oven and pressed a button. One of the panels on the floor opened, revealing darkness and a rush of cool air that brushed my hair across my face. It didn’t smell like any baked good I’ve ever known. More musty than anything.

I peered down the hole as Cookie moved around behind me, closing the door. I could just barely see the bottom, the floor cold concrete with strange stains on them.

“Everyone knows that I value only the sweetest ingredients,” Cookie said. “And you, dear Clove, are so sweet to come here and help me with my missing ingredient.”

She shoved on my back and I fell forward, arms flailing to grasp the edge of the hole. As the floor rushed up to hit me in the face, I realized why there were no nice cops left in the Celestia precinct.

December 06, 2020 03:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Molly Sickle
14:40 Dec 12, 2020

Oh wow that twist ending! This is beautifully written and has a great flow to it. Great job!

Reply

Lena Johnson
18:41 Dec 13, 2020

Thank you! It came together absurdly quickly and pretty much wrote itself. Thank you for reading and for the kind comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sjan Evardsson
23:25 Dec 16, 2020

Brisk, fairy-tale pacing and a surprise ending. Well done! Stay safe and keep writing!

Reply

Lena Johnson
05:52 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you for the comment, and you as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
16:42 Dec 14, 2020

This story is so smooth and everything fits together to make that spectacular ending!

Reply

Lena Johnson
05:52 Dec 17, 2020

Wow, thank! I appreciate the kind words :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
21:14 Dec 12, 2020

That ending just knocked me out completely.

Reply

Lena Johnson
18:42 Dec 13, 2020

It just jumped out at me when I saw the prompt. Thanks for reading and thank you for the comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Llind Kam
17:21 Dec 12, 2020

Woah! Did not see that coming. I loved that your story was short and to the point. Very effective too.

Reply

Lena Johnson
18:51 Dec 13, 2020

Thank you for the kind words! I luckily didn't have to mess with the word count and I like playing with how to give away some information but not all, so I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:00 Dec 12, 2020

I totally didnt expect that ending! That's Dark and Unsettling and I love it! Nice job.

Reply

Lena Johnson
18:51 Dec 13, 2020

Yeah, I don't usually write things this dark, but it just worked so well! Thank you for the kind words and for reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.