Coming Out Of Her Shell.

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

13 comments

General



Five years ago he had broken her heart and had not been forgiven, certainly not by her. She thought he would be reluctant to break any other girl's heart now.

She’d had him chained in a cellar for the last five years.

   Kate's own heart had hardened and formed calluses over the break until she was immune to his former pleading. Now an unchanging depression had settled upon him. He didn’t try to reason or argue with her anymore.


Unbeknownst to Richard, her captive, she praised him silently for her transformation. She had been a timid mousy individual when she had first met him. Although fearful and shy, her rich parents had left her very wealthy after dying prematurely in a car crash. For all of her wealth, Kate was ill-equipped to face especially a world that had designs upon her wealth.

   

She had met Richard whilst walking her two dogs in a park. She had later surmised their meeting with his poodle had been just a ploy, for he seemed to lack any real affinity with his dog. Indeed, after being with Kate for a few weeks, his dog conveniently ran away, never to be seen again. Kate fell for him, hook, line and sinker.


After her parent’s death, Kate continued to occupy the large house that had been built on a vast estate in the country. She chose cleaners from a contracting firm that came in at suitable times for her. Her supplies were delivered and placed in an adjoining annexe without any contact from her. Richard was the only person to enter her home on a personal basis two months after first meeting him.

   Kate was worth many millions and Richard was determined to not rush the association with her, too much was at stake. In spite of her timidness, she eventually invited Richard into her home for a few hours at a time.

 

He was a tall, handsome man and although very well educated and at ease in all company. He didn’t ever flaunt this sophistication before Kate. He was deliberately solicitous for her welfare but ruthless in his intention to take control of Kate’s wealth.

   

Kate had been completely out of her depth with the worldly and cultured man. This, Richard had seen immediately upon meeting her, her lack of maturity and took his time before finally seducing her. So skilled was he, that he led her to believe she had initiated their first sexual encounter. She became completely ‘head over heels’ in love.

   

Richard was a magnificent and accomplished lover. He lifted Kate to such orgasmic heights that she begged for more and more. He took her dining but never introduced her to any friends. She didn’t think this suspicious as she was experiencing a life that had been previously beyond her. Although she was much younger than Richard, she started to think of marriage.


Under Richard’s tutelage, Kate gradually emerged into a bolder and more confident woman. One day she was sunbathing naked in a secluded part of the garden when she heard Richard’s voice telephoning someone. It soon became obvious that the love of her life was scheming to find some way of stealing her many millions. With a supreme effort of will, she suppressed any inclination to immediately confront him and beg him that what she had been hearing was not true. Although her personal world had shattered, she refused to compromise her understanding and make excuses for the ‘love of her life’ betraying her.


Dressing herself, she made her way into the small wooded section and rubbed herself with dirt and deliberately fell into a bush to simulate an accident. Limping her way back toward the house in an apparent physically stressed condition, she let the pent-up grief pour from her.

   

Calling out to Richard he had rushed out and picked her up and carried her into the house. He laid her on their bed and took off her clothes to attend her minor wounds. She now had no need to simulate her distress. The implication of Richard’s betrayal spilled out from her. Richard was bewildered by this much anguish. It seemed inappropriate for such minor wounds, but nevertheless, he attended her tenderly.


The deception of Richard had a profound effect upon Kate and she developed a genuine flu-like illness. She refused Richard’s offer of bringing in a doctor, wanting only his attention. All during her illness, she pored over the changed status of her position and feelings. She was amazed at herself at how quickly her heart had hardened and how soon she had come to a resolution. 


Kate, in her changed status, was yet able to present a demeanour of a grateful woman for Richard’s ‘solicitous’ manner. It had taken a week for Kate to fully recover and in that time had resolved what she would do with Richard. Taking great care to do it properly, she drugged him and kept him in a soporific condition for a week whilst she prepared the house cellar for his incarceration.

 

The timidity and cautiousness that had previously ruled her life had fallen away as if just a cloak and a ruthless and determined woman was its replacement. She had purchased tools and chains and labouring for many hours produced a chained environment for her captive. 


It had been a dangerous hit and miss drugging of Richard using a great number of sleeping pills. The parents had accumulated the pills over the years which were never used. Finally, she was finished making the cellar ready. Richard was still in a drugged condition when Kate hauled Richard into the cellar to chain him up. The walls were very thick and she had further insulated the door leading to the cellar making it virtually soundproof. Certainly, no trace of Richard’s shouting did she ever hear in the upstairs part of the house.


                                                     *


Kate’s transformation progressed rapidly. She was always a very intelligent woman and now for her purposes needed a new wardrobe of clothes. She chose business wear and another set fitting her new image for leisure.  


She enjoyed sex, and developed a small coterie of men to consort with when out on the town. She had instructed them well how best to carry out their sexual function for her. She gave as good as she got, thusly always having willing participants when she desired it, but none did she get emotionally entangled with and none were ever taken to her home.

   

She had developed skills in computer coding and other branches of computerisation from a very young age, so set up a business in this I.T. area. She employed a large staff of only women and soon made the business very successful. By now she knew she had to do something with Richard. If he stayed much longer chained up, his depression could possibly lead to psychosis, or worse. She had contemplated killing him but really didn’t want to do that. She was sort of grateful to him for opening up a new world for her. She was sure she would have never contemplated the life she had now set out for herself without his unwitting motivation of her. She couldn’t just let him go, and as killing him was not an option at the moment, she needed an alternative. 


Although he was in apathy at the present, released from his present incarceration he would rapidly return to an attitude of his former ruthlessness and one of creating mayhem for her, or even death. However, the dilemma was resolved very easily for her by finding Richard dead upon her arrival home one day. Kate's immediate reaction was one of relief, but also of a little guilt. This man had saved her life in a different way. She was now many times the woman she would have been without his intervention. She strongly felt she should honour him in some way, not just bury him.


She was very conversant with the ‘Dark Web’ and indeed had made use of it when ‘needs must’ and it was ‘needs must’ now by her consideration.


After an extended holiday for the business, the women of the firm came back to a completely embalmed plasticised Richard mounted on a plinth in the foyer of their business. He looked lifelike if the light fell upon ‘him’ at different times in a particular way and looked happy and very urbane dressed up in his dinner-suit.

   

The legend beneath carved into the marble stand read:

‘A Mentor who gave himself unstintingly to the betterment of a young woman and enabled many other women to benefit from his generous teaching.’

   


June 07, 2020 07:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Jubilee Forbess
17:29 Jun 08, 2020

Wowwwwwwww. :D

Reply

Len Mooring
21:32 Jun 08, 2020

Hahahahaha. I know, I know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hope Wells
08:17 Jun 18, 2020

I thought chained up in a cellar was metaphorical at first. I think it would have read very differently if it had been a man chaining a woman up! I found it compelling reading. Very well written, funny and gripping. Loved the description of the dog; that made me smile! I was a little confused by the line about the man's education, wasn't sure if he was I'll educated. I look forward to more gripping tales!

Reply

Len Mooring
21:20 Jun 18, 2020

Thank you, Hope. I do favour the weird over ordinary where all the indelicacies can emerge. Good spotting re. your last point, that sentence needed attention.

Reply

Hope Wells
09:17 Jun 19, 2020

I like the weird too, although I never write about murder, I love crime novels. Glad to be of help re that sentence; this is where this critique circle comes into its own!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Steve Dolby
06:03 Jun 18, 2020

Excellent use of pace and macabre humour. Talk about putting someone on a pedestal.

Reply

Len Mooring
06:24 Jun 18, 2020

I'm afraid the pedestal's bare in my household. It was fun to write.

Reply

Steve Dolby
18:37 Jun 23, 2020

excellent

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pamela Saunders
20:24 Jun 17, 2020

LOL - just love the ending on this story. The beginning had me hooked too, from reading about him being chained up, it was intriguing.

Reply

Len Mooring
06:22 Jun 18, 2020

Thanks, Pamela. The marks on my ankles still haven't faded yet.

Reply

Richard Khamani
00:47 Aug 03, 2020

Nor the plaster cast..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Richard Khamani
00:46 Aug 03, 2020

For F...sake , why Richard, again? We never get a break. I am getting fed up with this. All ways Richard. Now I have to go into hiding. cheers. Nice well paced piece, enjoyable as always. I shall and will always remain a fan of your work — Richard (Lol) @*&%!

Reply

Len Mooring
21:43 Aug 03, 2020

I love you 'Lionhearted' guys. Now if you want to plumb depths, look at Len in fiction, idiots or beyond the pale. Lennie is Mafia for shit-jobs.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.