0 comments

Drama Fiction

The air was cold against her skin. Even her puffer jacket did nothing to ease the shivers that has been racking her body. She was trying her best to be discreet. She ducked behind the garbage truck, ignoring the acrid smell of trash. John was sitting in the corner under the pine tree with his soon-to-be wife, Cecilia. As usual, she was dressed impeccably even in harsh weather. Her glossy blond hair was adorned with pearls, and her face was covered in make-up that made her features sharper than they actually are. From her point of view, she could just discern the hint of boredom on John's face as he listened to his fiancee chatter about her boring life. She wondered what John saw in that woman, well except of course her breast. For her, John was an embodiment of beauty. His chiseled jaw, his hairless chest, and the size of his torso were proof of his gloriousness. Their few intimate moments made it difficult for her to erase him from her memories. After all, he was the first man whom she had a relationship with. Lisa stroked her face with her gloved hand, an unconscious mannerism she had developed during her childhood years. For most of her life, she had been bullied and ridiculed by people of different ages. Her pimpled face, flat nose, and weird protruded eyes made it difficult for her to be invisible.


John kissed Cecilia while squeezing her plump breast. Lisa wondered if those big balloons were real. Would they pop if he squeezed them hard?


The garbage truck in front of her burst into life. John glanced in her direction, and quickly Lisa ran towards the bushes back to her way home.

----------


Lisa sat at her desk in her cramped bedroom, staring at the pictures of John on her wall. John Mckinley and his hazel eyes stared back at her with indifference, just like the way he stared at her in real life. She rummaged in her closet and grabbed the leather notebook she had kept since she started dating John Mckinley. It was a journal or rather a documentation of the "significant events" in her life. She tried to write another entry, but it felt pointless knowing that John had completely disappeared from her life. Well, not completely. Since she still followed him and kept track of his itinerary. Her mom once described her as obsessive and neurotic. But for Lisa, she is just in love, in which by definition is "a state of strong emotional attachment". She had talked to her therapist about this, but all of them has the same opinion as her mom. Once when she was a child she developed a strong attachment to one of her classmates named Sarah. She followed her and stared at her countless times until Sarah finally reported her to their teacher and made up stories about her peeking at the girls bathroom and making obscene gestures toward the girls in her class. Without anyone to defend her, not even her mom, Lisa was put on a three-day suspension.


A beep on her phone brought her back to reality. It was a notification. Based on her radar app, John was on his way to Bloomsburg. Lisa wondered what it would be like for John if she crept inside his apartment and crouched on his bed naked. Would John send her away or would he just "let things happen" just like he always says. Lisa threw her journal on the floor and slumped on her bed, all the while plotting a plan to get the love of her life back.

----------------


Cecilia Smith is the daughter of the guidance counselor of MO High School and the niece of the City's most famous cop named Stuart Debaugh. Unlike her kin, Cecilia Smith is blessed with good looks and great hair. However, her lack of intelligence often made her vulnerable to opportunist, like John Mckinley. The first time she set eyes on John Mckinley, she had felt a flutter in her belly all the way to her thighs. John was smart and generous enough to give her what she needs the first night of their acquaintance. Cecilia Smith is not a slut. No. Although she had slept with a few dozen men she met, she prefers to be called as "passionate". Her aunt Lima, the wife of Mr. Debaugh, always reminded her to avoid vulgar words and "slut" was one of them. Like her aunt, Cecilia is a religious person, only a different kind. She believes that her body was designed for men. And since "men" are the principal species of the universe, she believes that they have the right towards her body. But ever since she met John, Cecilia had felt strange. She had described those feelings to her aunt Lima and how quickly her aunt defined it as love. Love was a huge word for Cecilia, she had found it difficult to explain and to even spell. Yet her aunt concluded it with an utmost certainty. The next day, Cecilia went to John's apartment and asked for his hand in marriage. John was hesitant at first, but after she offered herself in the most "passionate" way, John had finally agreed to marry her.


----------------

John Mckinley is so done with this shit. Everywhere he goes, girls and gays bat their eyes in his direction. He's so damn tired of all their attention. Sometimes he wondered why he is so blessed with good looks. Why him, of all people? Although he hates being the center of attention, he can't deny the fact that it gives him a lot of advantages in life. a.) People are drawn to him. When people are drawn to you, you have double opportunities than those who are average looking. b.) Mating opportunities. You don't have to chase girls. Girls chase you, literally. c.) He can be anything he wants. Almost all the time, people believe in his false sincerity. He can easily get money from ugly girls, widows and gays and make them in love with him. This was how he paid his bills.


Cecilia Smith, on the other hand, is a different story. Although she is packed with gold and came from a well-known family, John is uncertain in marrying her. He had regretted their first encounter and felt even more rueful with their untimely engagement. Although he enjoys having sex with her, he could not imagine being associated with her uncle who is a cop.


When he was a teenager, he stabbed a police officer, who was also his stepfather with a pencil. The pencil reached his sternum which immediately led to his death. John had given his defense of the said event. He stated that he was sexually harassed by his stepfather, and stabbing him was an act of defense. Her mother denied the allegations regarding sexual assault. And since his stepfather has some sort of a position in the police department, his case was never given any considerations. At 14 years old, he was confined in a Juvenile correctional facility. Since then, he had lost communication with his mom and his animosity towards cops became even more pronounced.


John walked towards his crimson volkswagen. It had been with him since he was 18. The windows of his car had accumulated scratches and cracks. The color that was once vibrant now appeared dull and muted. Cecelia was clad in a fur sweater and a dress that shows her cream colored legs. "So, you wanna go out tonight?" John stared at her for a moment, all the time wondering about what would happen if he broke his engagement with her. "John?" Cecilia asked. "Are you sick?, You look pale." She remarked. "I'm fine Cecil." he answered as he sat


October 30, 2022 14:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.