A Hoarding Gentleman

Submitted into Contest #185 in response to: Someone’s beloved collection is destroyed. How do they react?... view prompt

2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Thriller Suspense

"A person once told me, hoarding is being greedy," said a tall man in a black suit.

He jet-black hair was smooth and pinned back, and he was wearing a pair of white gloves embellished with blue gemstones. And on his wrist, a watch.

The man stands beside a wooden table; a sheet covers it as it occasionally shakes. His surroundings consisted of: broken glass shards covered in liquid spillage from the shattered jars containing a yellowish and green fluid. The wooden walls and floors are covered with animalistic markings, and there is one single window to look out of.

"Well I'm here to tell you, they're right," the man said, pacing the room as he spoke. "I am greedy. A very greedy man indeed. And I just love collecting things. Beautiful things that is, mind you. My name is Arthur. And this is my take on 'Hoarders." As Arthur continues to speak, a muffled cry of a girl can be heard. "I'm an artist, a special kind of artist. My art is something only an exquisite person would understand. Everything I've made mine, became such a sight to behold that I couldn't possibly put it away. What a waste of time and effort. Only the foolish would need validation from others. I suppose though, it's pleasant every once in a while, seeing the talented and those lacking talent clash. But nevermind their fruitless adventure. I'm here to speak about my love for hoarding. Not their failures. Here, let me start from the beginning."

I had gone away to visit my mother's grave, while I relaxed at a luxury hotel as a bonus. However, before that, there was a problem. I needed a house sitter. Someone who could monitor my collection, while I was away. And so I hired Grace, although she had not fully developed in the area of taste. She's young, in her teens; her ashy black hair is striped with streaks of blonde. Quite bold of her really. Her slender figure hidden beneath her heavy black coat. Sadly, with ripped jeans it seems the charm of older days are lost on the youth. It was tragic, at best.

"Good afternoon Mr. Arthur, I'm here to watch your house," she said, looking up at me.

"Splendid timing my dear girl," I replied, gesturing to her. "Do come in."

"Thank you," she gave a brief nod as she stepped pasted me to have a look around.

Afterwards, I closed the door behind her. Grace seems to be getting her bearings, having a glance around. My home being two–stories, simply put, is as straightforward as I am. There's an upstairs: two bedrooms, a washroom, an laundry room, while downstairs has everything else I need and want; a kitchen, a lounge room, a dining room, and a storage room. Nothing more and nothing less. There's also my favorite, being the attic, which is my collection room, a quiet and reserved spot only for me and myself alone. I didn't truly expect her to go up there for any particular reason. even if she tried, she couldn't, I had the only key. Once satisfied with a look around, Grace turns to me.

"Wow, your place is amazing!" She beams enthusiastically. "Mind if I go ahead and settle in Mr. Arthur?"

"Not at all," I responded. "Your room is upstairs and two doors to the left."

Grace thanked me again and headed upstairs to the guest room. "Such a pleasant child," I thought at the time. And her eyes. Wide, beautiful blue eyes. Perhaps, I could consider introducing her to my collection. It would've been lovely having a little helper around. One who follows rules and guidelines so excellently and without delay. It warmed my heart to see such an orderly child. I put it in the back of my mind for the time being. At that moment, I needed to finish with her list. As I'm writing it, making sure Grace's list contains everything I want done, I can hear the floorboards creaking and groaning.

Her footsteps tell me she's quite fond of her space, which is good. A worker that's happy is an effective and useful one. As I've wrapped up her list of chores Grace hastily came down stairs, practically grinning like a fool.

"Mr. Arthur, the room is beautiful!" She exclaims. "You really didn't have to go through so much trouble."

"Nonsense my dear," I explained. "Think of it like.. an exchange. The more effort I do for you the more you do for me. See? I am after all a fair boss and fair as I am, I wouldn't want my workers unhappy for any reason that I can help it."

"You really are amazing sir," Grace told me. "Well I'm all settled in now. Is there anything specific you want done?"

"Yes actually," I said, handing over the list I've created. "Read over this and tell me if there is anything on there you can't do, or hadn't done before. I'll either show you how or cross it out."

"Okay then, give me a sec," Grace then looks over the list of chores.

Her eyes seemed so intrigued as they scanned over my writing. Her focus as she stared intently at the list, made me want her as my assistant even more than ever. Having one with beautiful eyes like my mother's would've been more than appealing. it would be perfect. Absolutely astounding. As I thought over these thoughts, I failed to notice Grace staring at me with concern.

"Mr. Arthur," Grace spoke, gently, tapping my shoulder.

"Ah yes..ahem," Clearing my throat, I look at her having become aware of my surroundings. "My apologies dear girl, I've seemed to have wandered off in thought."

"Yeah, no kidding," Grace chuckles to my little mishap. "So the only thing I really don't get is what plants you want me to take care of. I've looked around and hadn't seen any."

"Right, you hadn't seen the backyard," I say, excited to see her response. "Right this way then."

Taking the lead, I led Grace to the backyard from the kitchen. There I revealed to her my vineyard of grapes and families of the peppermint herb. Grapes for the finest wine, and peppermint for keeping vermin away, but also useful for a great variety of teas and meals. Truly, I thought, a fabulous design crafted by a god above. As Grace seemed to be very captivated I checked my watch for the time. Only a quarter hour remained before traffic became unbearable. I had to go, and glanced now at Grace with a pleasant smile.

"Grace my dear girl, I hate to leave in such a rush, but I must really be going," I told her. "Will you be alright?"

"Of course Mr. Arthur, you've done more than enough to help me get settled in," Grace said reassuringly. "Please enjoy your vacation while you're away sir."

"I will, my dear girl," I then headed back inside to grab what little luggage I planned to bring with me. "There's food in the fridge, but if for whatever reason you need to order anything I've left a wad of cash on the table. Do use it wisely."

"Thank you again Mr. Arthur I will," Grace comes to see me out as I put away luggage in the trunk.

With a wave good-bye, I got in my classic black Sudan and drove away. As I eased away, I saw Grace in my rearview mirror, closing the door behind me. Such a good little helper. First things first though, I begin my travels to the finest hotel and that's "Kuala Lumpur." It's one of the best yet more isolated hotels, due to the fact it's near a graveyard. Not many want to look out their windows to see the dead, so it's perfectly solitary for my taste. Once I arrived, I got to my room and settled in for the night. The next day, I went to my mother's grave. Such a tragedy it was. A woman's eyes being her prize jeweled.

Without them, they are soul- sucking vampires. You see as a lad, myself, I adore staring into my mother's eyes. Those pearly blue eyes reminded me of the sky. How persuasive and expressive they could be. However, just remembering how they look wasn't enough. My mother was blind due to health issues I did not care to dwell on. But as a boy, I could not stand by and watched as her beautiful pearly eyes became empty. Simply void of anything. So I decided I would do everything in my power to safeguard them. When I got older, I had taken her to the best physicians to care for her eyes. But alas, they could do nothing.

Absolutely nothing for her! And my mother lost her sight! I was devastated, still am, and while she calmed my mind by allowing me the honor of caring for her then, I could not stop the need I felt to find her perfect eyes. And so began my quest. I became an ophthalmologist, simply put, an eye doctor. And I've discovered so many wonderful, wonderful eyes people have. All different colors, shapes and sizes. All from the same species no less. Humanity is truly fascinating. And so after becoming a well-known physician myself, I had begun the hunt for my mother's eyes.

It was easy enough to stage someone's disappearance, and even easier to stay busy till they were no longer of thought. That's when I took the pleasure of harvesting them. And while I was not a fan of festivities, I celebrated with my mother with a feast. So many, many delicacies not gone to waste. And yet... and yet... not one of them could save her. Ultimately I am the reason for my poor mother's death. I remember it quite vividly.. because I could not bear the sight of my poor mother struggling in her worsening condition, I put her to sleep. It was enough time mourning over my error of the past. I had come to visit my mother to assure her of my well-being, therefore, I felt it was no longer necessary to remain there. Bidding her a good morning, I left.

I headed inside for breakfast. The hotel was now filled with tourists. Mindless, walking drones just looking to gossip. It was disgusting then and it's disgusting now, how low people will sink. Not being able to bear much of their friendly idiotic ignorance, I decided to end my vacation. After paying the worker, I grabbed my things and left. After all, I've done what I set out to do. Bid mother a good morning, and tell her I'm doing well. In return, her sleeping soul continues to rest.

As I'm on my way back home, I decide to visit a store to reward my little worker. With her colors in mind I picked out a lovely black and golden gown. Something as elegant as to match her hair, should do more than enough to repay my show of gratitude. And with it, I returned home. However, things were not as I left it. For that matter at hand, there was the animal control car leaving with what I assume was a vermin. Big, chubby, with the black markings of a thief. And there my little worker stood, having caught said thief. Truly, a remarkable girl. As I pulled up though, her grateful smile to the animal control car turned sour quickly. she fled inside the house acting rather odd, unlike her usual self. It was at that time, I realized my little worker's usefulness had reached it's expiration.

Perhaps something had happened that my little worker didn't want me to see. Perhaps not, no matter, I shall deal with the issue as appropriate as it calls for. Turning my car off I get out to gather my luggage and her gift, then I head inside. As far as tidiness goes it could use some improvement, but as far as I could tell nothing was broken. It had seemed she was well suited for the job after all. or so I thought…

And so I called out to her, "My dear child I've returned and I have brought you a gift."

"Mmm.. Mr. Arthur what are you doi..doing back so soon?" Grace asked with a great deal of concern.

Whether that concern was for me or what's been done I cannot know for sure. Slowly she walked downstairs, clearly nervous.

"It became crowded my dear, and unfortunately I don't like crowds," I explained. "Now before I hand you your reward, do tell me, why so gloomy?"

"Well..well you see sir," Grace stuttered, the first sign of trouble. "After you left, there was a great deal of ruckus coming from the attic, so...

Before she finished, as soon as I heard the attic was involved, my heart sank and my skin chilled to the bone. With haste, I rushed upstairs to find the door ajar. Once inside, horror struck me. My collection! My beautiful collection is now scattered on the floor! That monster, that filthy animal! It has ruined my life's work!! Staring down at all those countless eyes, I admittedly, lost my composure. There are ones that's been mashed, bleeding ones, ones that are impaled from debris, and others I don't even have the words to describe. All damaged goods, because of that animal. It's a good thing my little worker was here to catch such a vile beast. As I stared defeated and utterly crushed, I had gotten an idea. I began to smile fondly at the thought of a new project, with Grace as its theme.

Grace, poor girl, was very disturbed and frankly unsure if this was my doing. She had heard the reports, I'm sure. And therefore I couldn't allow her to leave.. alive.

"Mr. Arthur I… I think I should be going and let… let you get settled in," Grace said with trembling legs, stumbling backwards into the doorway. "I… I'll be back tomorrow for my pay."

"Nonsense my dear," I chuckled, bemused by her pathetic excuses to get away. "Stay, I need to give you a rewarding gift for your hard work. And what better way to do that, than to allow you to be part of it."

"Sir…Sir Please I just want to… ahh!

Without delay, I rendered her unconscious with my backhand. As a gentleman I must say I regret laying a hand on the young woman, but you should know. Gentleman tendencies only go so far.

"And so I bring you back to where I left off," I say, standing beside my worker strapped to the table. "Grace is now the start of my new collection. What did my story tell you about hoarders? If anything at all, as a hoarder, I take great pride and care into what I collect. Just as you treasure your belongings. I treasure mine. With that my story comes to a close."

Removing the sheet from Grace's body, she wears the gown I bought her. Her petite figure seems to tremble and quake, but those eyes... Those pretty blue pearls of eyes stare at me, swelling at the roots, ready for me to pluck them out. And so I do.

The End.

February 15, 2023 21:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Russell Mickler
03:51 Feb 23, 2023

Hi Ruby! Very well-written and had a pretty diabolical ending! "My mother was blind due to health issues I did not care to dwell on." Great para! A great read ... very thrilling ... R

Reply

Ruby Pix
19:02 Feb 23, 2023

Ruby: Thank you. I am glad you think so. As a writer I am proud to say I was truly embodying the role of this Character deeply. I look forward to many more fulfilling ones like this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.