A memory for life

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a summer afternoon spent in a treehouse.... view prompt

0 comments

General

“So, I heard that Gabriel likes you.” 

Sara’s words leave no space for different interpretations, as we march together the 100 meters that separate our homes to that of our classmate Rosie, who celebrates her tenth birthday today.

“Marybel and Gabriel are getting married. Someone’s looking harried. They are having many babies…” she sings as a mock towards my red cheeks.

“Sara stop! We’re 10, nobody is gonna marry anyone.”

Sara frowns. Her porcelain complexion darkens, and she sizes me with a look of disgust. She always does that when someone contradicts her. I almost hate her when she mocks me, and I don’t know why she has to do that. She is supposed to be my best friend. We were the best of friends. 

“Why not? Don’t you fancy Gabriel?”

“You fancy Gabriel,” I reply.

She looks at me bitterly. “Who do you fancy, then?” 

“Nobody! I just want to celebrate Rosie and play in that wonderful treehouse of hers. Can we do that?”

Sara shrugs. “You are such a child!”

That hurts. We’re the same age but recently she started acting like a grown-up. She doesn’t like playing dolls anymore and she talks about boys all the time. Especially Gabriel. Even if it’s not like I’m really into him. I guess he’s a pretty kid and brilliant too but fancy him in that way... ew that’s just gross. I must have told Sara someday and after me and Gabriel were assigned a science project together started making fun of me. 

It’s like she’s not my friend anymore. She is mean and always a bit angry. What is happening to her? Even her breasts are getting bigger. I don’t know if the two things are connected or not, but if that’s the case, I don’t want big tits.

We reach Rosie’s house and her garden is like a delicious explosion of pastel pink. Even among the giant balloons, the confetti, and the towers of food I can spot my favorite corner of her garden: the treehouse. 

The house sits on the branch of an oak which makes it quite high. The type of height you could really injure yourself if you fell from it, but that’s exactly the reason why it’s so pretty.

It’s a one-room house with a front porch and a fence to stop you from falling. Two windows near the door and one on the side. Rosie and her mom furniture it together with pink chairs, pink flowers, shelves, and books. It looks like a real adult house and that’s why we always pretend we are adults when we play in it. Another wonderful feature of the house is that the stairs don’t just go up straight from the ground but rather twirl around the trunk like spiral stairs with small platforms to interrupt the climb.

We salute Rosie and her mom and later I make my way to go play with her and other friends from school, but Sara has other plans.

“This party is so boring. Should we make it more fun?”

I stare at Sara with both wonder and terror. “What do you mean?”

Sara scrolls her shoulders. “Just wait for me on the first platform to the treehouse with your eyes closed.”

“What?”

“I’m bringing the good people.”

“Who? I wanna go play.”

“Trust me. Don’t be a child.

But I am a child. I think as I do as she says. I’m not really convinced but it’s clear that if I don’t do that, I’m going to lose her friendship and Sara is like my only friend.

So, I climb the first tranche of stairs and I sit cross-legged on the platform which is positioned in the opposite direction with respect to the party. 

The summer heat comes in waves and my auburn hair flow in the breeze. The sun is up high and its rays kiss my freckled skin. I glimpse at the treehouse above me and long to go up, yet I wait for Sara and her good people. At last, I close my eyes and all my ears become my only connection with the world.

I hear people approaching. Some are laughing, some are chattering but I can’t distinguish their words.

There are footsteps on the stairs and finally, Sara’s voice is near me. 

“I was right about Gabriel,” She whispers in my ear, “he’s near me and asked me if I could arrange a kiss between the two of you.”

A kiss?

“What?” my whole body tenses and like a spring I’m ready to jump off my feet. I don’t know why I standstill; I don’t know if I fear losing Sara or actually want to know what it’s like to kiss someone who is not one of my relatives.

“Trust me. He’s coming.” Continues Sara. Her warm breath leaves my ear and I linger mid-air, waiting. More steps on the stairs. Someone’s body who’s approaching mine.

My black and white polka-dotted t-shirt flats on my sweaty back and I prepare like princesses do in cartoons with my lips sprung forward and ready.

Laughter grows around me and something very tense and plastic-scented nears me. When my lips touch the new surface, I realize how dumb I am. I open my eyes and see an Elsa balloon staring at me.

Sara is shaken by chuckles and all my classmates stare as if I were a clown. Only a face is unflappable: Gabriel’s.

My eyes fill with tears, but I swallow them back. I’d do anything not to give her the satisfaction.

“Well, fuck you, Sara,” I say and continue climbing to the treehouse.

I can’t believe I dropped the F word. I heard it once in a movie scene that mom was not quick enough to change and wanted to use it ever since.

I feel powerful. I feel dreadful. I guess me and Sara won’t be friends anymore, after all.

As I enter the treehouse, I feel like I were in a nest. Terrified by the outside world but still protected. I’m not going down until my mom comes and drags me with force.

Why did Sara have to do that? Why?

They don’t teach you those kinds of things in Disney’s movies.

I grab a book and start reading to take my mind off Sara and her weird behavior. Pippi Longstocking is so cool, I’m gonna ask mom if she can buy me this book. I want a horse inside my house too.

I’m completely focused on words when I hear the treehouse shake. I drop the book and stare at the door, kinda hoping to see Sara’s face come up.

When the stranger appears, I’m shocked: it's Gabriel.

He enters the house and sits in front of me. I scrutinize him. His biscuit color skin and curly black hair collide with the greenest eyes I’ve ever seen.

“I’m sorry for what happened before.”

I shrug.

“You should come down to the party. It’s almost cake time.”

I shake my head. 

“I’m at my own party,” I say and show him my new favorite book.

“I love Pippi. My mom used to read me that book every night.” He replies. “I agree that your party is better than the one below. Do you mind if I sit next to you?”

I shake my head again and Gabriel is near me. Our arms touch and his skin is hot against mine. I feel some kind of electricity where our bodies meet; Sara’s talk about boys start to make sense. I look at what I wear and think that I could have worn those nice jeans that mom got me the other day. 

Gabriel seems calm and slightly smile while reading Pippi’s adventure.

“When Sara came near you, before.” He bursts out suddenly. “It looked like you were ready to kiss someone.” 

I flush red. “Yes. Sort of.”

“Not Elsa, I guess.” He continues.

“No.”

“Who then.”

I look him in the eyes and consider whether to lie or not but that would put me in the same position as Sara.

“Well…” I lower my eyes. “You. She told me you liked me and wanted to kiss me.” I take a deep breath. “Weird right? I mean, we’re ten.”

Gabriel nods.

“If she had asked me, I would have said yes. I would have kissed you.”

“You would have?”

He takes my shaky hand in his.

“Do you want me to kiss you?” he asks.

“I have only kissed my parents and my dog,” I say. 

“Me too. But grown-ups always kiss. Must be nice.” He adds. “I mean you wouldn’t mind trying to kiss someone else with you.”

I smile. “Ok. Shall I put me like before?”

He helps me stand and places himself in front of me. We’re the same height so I see as he prepares by slightly parting his lips.

We both close our eyes and draw closer and closer until our lips, finally, meet. 

They touch for mere seconds; the bare enough to feel the wet of his drool, the softness of his lips, and the awkwardness around us.

I don’t understand what the fuss is about. I don’t think I like kissing.

We part.

“I think I’m not ready.” He says.

 “Me neither,” I admit.

“But now you have something to tell Sara.”

I grin. “So the question now is cake or Pippi?”

Gabriel winks. “Pippi.”

And just like that, we sit side by side lost in books. 

On that summer afternoon in a pink-lover treehouse, I possibly lost a friend but made another and create a memory to last for life.

July 16, 2020 11:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.