0 comments

Adventure Romance Holiday

“ I know it’s a little different, but that could be a good thing Em. We wanted a change afterall, to make a difference and escape the rat race...well here it is.”

Tugging anxiously at her tightly drawn back hair the young woman, newly graduated with her Bachelor in IT majoring in sustainable technologies simply smiled...albeit a little grimly at her fiance as she studied her surroundings. The coolness of the underground dwelling was surprisingly soothing on her skin yet it did nothing for her claustrophobia. When Jake had suggested they try this 6 month project building sustainable agricultural technologies in rural communities Em had jumped at the opportunity.

After going straight to university after highschool and spending 5 long years of studying intensely and working in dead end hospitality jobs Em knew she needed an escape, a chance to ‘broaden her horizons’ before she got stuck in the rat race...climbing the corporate ladder and doing what was expected of her. Jake’s proposal mere days before their acceptance into the program had worked well, at least she had someone to keep her sane as she attempted to ‘push her comfort zones’.

While she knew she was going to be uncomfortable at times on this trip she had hoped that...well she had assumed that wherever she would be living would be her safe space, a place she could relax and rewind in. She had always been heavily introverted and needed her space. The oddly beautiful yet quirky cavern she stood in had her engineering side geeking out while her more withdrawn persona internally freaked out at the fact that she was expected to live underground for the next 6 months.

Jake, being a typical architect, was already running his hands over the copper coloured rock walls, his face slack in pure wonder as he took in his home for the next little while.  The only good thing about this whole experience was that she had the opportunity to use her hard earned degree to build an entirely solar powered commercial farm, the first of it’s kind to be trialled in the Southern Hemisphere. The other good thing was that her best friend seemed happy...well ecstatic was the better word. 

His almost blinding grin thrown in her direction as he started chattering about the ‘miracle’ that was Cooper Pedy had Em’s anxiety slightly releasing it’s hold on her. If Jake was happy then perhaps this trip wasn’t going to be as bad as her inner introvert thought. After the past year’s events...especially his battle with several viruses and his major engineering project, he had been exhausted...drained. This trip was good for both of them in different ways, she just needed to keep reminding herself of that. Especially when her fiancee seemed truly carefree for the first time in almost a year.

Inhaling deeply as she attempted to ignore the musty scent of mould and clay in the air she attempted to fake at least some level of believable enthusiasm, at least for his sake. If he suspected that she was unhappy or anxious he would do anything to help her, even if that meant giving up on the experience of a lifetime.

As Jake ran her through the more scientific side of the underground housing in Cooper Pedy Em simply studied her surroundings with a more simplistic view, while she wasn’t an artist she could appreciate the natural beauty of the house, of the town itself. Her new home sparkled in the soft yellow lighting, the mineral and crystal fragments embedded within the Earth walls glittering like the incredibly clear Milky way visible through the glass sky light above the dining room. 

Despite hating the outdoors, detesting exercise and having a unhealthily codependence on her laptop Jake and her seemed to fit together perfectly despite their almost opposite interests. Perhaps this trip was a good opportunity to test how they worked as a couple, as a married couple. Sure they had been staying at one another’s student flats for years but they had never had a house together, they couldn’t afford it...no one could afford a house in Sydney these days, especially near the universities.

Living together in...in different circumstances, it would be a good test...a good indicator of their strength as a couple. While her initial view of their new housing arrangement had been negative, perhaps she could see the positives after all...even if it was for her fiance's sake.

As the program coordinators left to allow the couple to settle in for the night Em watched in amusement as Jake sorted through the hefty collection of DVDs that were stacked in an alcove carved into the Earthy walls of the room itself, next to the small but modern flatscreen. Despite the lack of reception it appeared that they weren’t at a loss for entertainment. Especially when he held up several boxsets of television shows they had both binge watched hundreds of times before.

With a genuine smile Em looked at her future husband as she pointed at the Monty Python box set, it was going to be okay..better than okay, they were going to be great. They were going to have the experience of a lifetime and make great leaps in sustainable farming technologies. 

“ Apparently the pantry is stacked with our favourite foods, that’s why we had to complete that weird form as part of the application process. I’m going to go and grab us some snacks before we settle in for the night.”

Nodding back at him, Em watched him leave the room. Allowing herself a moment to simply relax she headed over to the spacious couch as she wrapped herself up in fluffy blankets, Cooper Pedy’s version of internal heating...a much welcomed reprieve from the rapidly cooling air of the desert night outside. Looking up at the starry sky above her she took in the surrealness of it all...the incredible detail of the twinkling heavens away from the skyscrapers and light pollution, the surprising cosiness of her underground house. The fact that she was about to make a significantly positive difference in terms of environmental sustainability with the love of her life by her side...it made her feel like the luckiest woman on Earth at the moment.

September 14, 2020 11:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.