0 comments

Inspirational Kids Historical Fiction

May all beings be peaceful, may all beings be happy, may all beings be well, may all beings be safe, may all beings be free from suffering - Metta Prayer (There are several versions of this prayer but this one is a beautiful one)

It was the celebration of the New Year. The traditional ritual was conducted by grandfather (the tribe’s oldest person) and his orphaned grandson - Smooth Stone and Five Stones, respectively on December 22nd (the winter solstice). In the white man’s world, they were named Jason and John Treebeard but on the reservation those names were not used. The ritual began with a sweat lodge ceremony that the elders of the tribe participated in. Young Five Stones waited outside and sat under the large oak tree behind the lodge. He prayed for a guardian spirit animal to take him through the following year and sat quietly to see who would appear. Grandfather Smooth Stone had taught him the ritual three moons ago, but it was the first time he had said the words alone. Five Stones calmed his breathing and thanked whoever would appear to him in advance. Finally, from out of the shadows he saw Jaguar. This was indeed a powerful guardian. He knew from his studies that if Jaguar appears one is to trust spiritual gifts, honor and trust one’s personal power. It would be an interesting year. Five Stones kept silent as the elders left the lodge - it was tradition that no one spoke for an hour afterward. He poured his grandfather a cup of peppermint tea and sat in silence with him. The tea would help replenish the liquid lost in the sweat lodge. After the silent time had passed, Five Stones told his grandfather about the Jaguar appearing to him. Smooth Stone shared his own vision after the boy had finished – his was Cat, which told him to seek wisdom within.  

“It is interesting that we both had feline visitors, grandfather. Does that happen a lot in family groups?”

“It can happen. It is unusual, but it can happen, yes.”

Five Stones nodded in understanding. Both then stayed awake to see the sun rise on the New Year so they could send blessings to the sun, the planet, and the tribe. Also included were prayers of thanksgiving for the return of light, warmth, seedlings, and food.

“Happy New Year grandfather.”

“And the same to you young master. This year will be a challenge - it is a nine year which is a time of endings; but like the wheels that turn it is a time of new beginnings as well. Keep alert.”

         “I will, grandfather.” Five Stones respected his grandfather but thought his ideas were a little off the wall sometimes. Maybe he would understand them if he lived to be 98 like Smooth Stone.

         The two returned to the village center after the prayers and looked forward to the New Year feast - a day of great joy and anticipation. The main meal consisted of a bean and corn soup which had lots of herbs that the women of the tribe gathered, strips of deer meat, and fry bread. His tribe also prepared a special tea made from ginger root. Younger members of the tribe had a little honey with their ginger tea, but most drank it straight. There was dancing, feasting with more soup and fry bread, and storytelling around the fire in the evening. The young ones were given a talisman to help them during the year - given to them by the tribal elders. It was a ritual that everyone looked forward to and treasured whatever talisman was received. Sometimes the talisman was a stone, sometimes a feather or a piece of string. Five Stones received an eagle feather that year – this brought a chorus of “ooh and ah” from the tribe since it was a powerful talisman.

         Young Five Stones had an instinct for knowing the plants and their purpose, so he had been taught the shaman ways during the previous summer. He soaked up all knowledge. His parents had been killed in a head on collision on their way to a marriage ceremony in January of that year. His father was a minister who was to preside at the ceremony and his mother was a chef who was going to cater the event. They would have been proud of their son and the man he was becoming. Grandfather was a well-respected elder who had a knowledge of all things spiritual. He loved each member of the tribe, but his grandson was his pride and joy. Throughout the spring and summer, grandfather taught him the secret ways - ancient rituals, healing ceremonies, and formulas. Five Stones was amazed that his grandfather knew so much. It made him respect his grandfather even more.

         Relatives on Five Stones father’s side wanted to adopt the boy and have him move in with them. Five Stones reluctantly agreed to go with them to keep peace in the family but was not happy. He would much rather stay on the reservation and learn the ways of the ancients from his grandfather. The night before they arrived to collect him, the tribe had a feast to thank the young boy for all he had done for them during his short nine years with them. It went long into the night. One thanked him for sweeping her patio which he used to do when he thought the kind lady was asleep. Another acknowledged that he helped his son “come out of his shell” by being a friend. One by one each acknowledged how their lives had been blessed by the boy. Grandfather saw five stones in the shape of a hand - a sign of saying goodbye he felt. He had an uneasy feeling, but no clear image appeared. No more would the boy be referred to as Five Stones. He would be called John Derringer. Five Stones would ask his ancestors for help - he wasn’t sure he liked that name.

         A week later grandfather got a message from the tribal police that Five Stones and the Derringers had been killed in a massive bombing in Oklahoma City - they were in court to finalize the adoption when the explosion took place. A day of celebration for the Derringers had turned tragic. It had taken several days to find everyone since the building where the court was situated was now rubble. The whole tribe mourned the loss of their precious Five Stones.

         Smooth Stone had no other relatives but was taken care of by all members of the tribe - it was their way, and they were happy to help any relative of Five Stones. One evening the old man spotted five stones in the shape of a paw print. He smiled - knowing it was a message from his grandson. In his honor, grandfather sent blessings out and prayed for forgiveness for allowing the relatives to take the boy. The words spoken in Zuni translated as “so very sorry, please forgive, love all, thank all”. It was a universal prayer of forgiveness that many tribes and many groups of people used. Hawaiians called it “Ho oponopono”.

         As soon as he had prayed the prayer of forgiveness, a stray cat came onto the old man’s porch, settled on his lap, and purred. The last thing Smooth Stones saw was the full moon reflecting off the lake. He was at peace. The cat had five grey patches on its fur and was made an honorary member of the tribe. Grandfather was right - it was a year of endings including his own passing, but also of new beginnings. The tribe named the cat Five Spots.

November 20, 2020 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.