4 comments

Teens & Young Adult Suspense Drama

“Cara and Dan were the best couple in their high school,” Dill says as he starts the next chapter.

“Dan? I’m not sure if you’ll agree to this but...I am going to do soccer tryouts…” Cara says with a shrill voice. Cara doesn’t know if Dan would like this because Cara is the most exuberant girl in school. 

“Is that why you were acting differently? Ya know. It’s fine…” Dan says, unsure of his choice to say that. What could happen to her if she gets hurt? What if she gets hurt!?

“Thank you so much for understanding! I’m so relieved and excited for Tryouts TOMORROW!!” Cara says with a bundle of energy. Now Dan is beyond worried! Tomorrow!

“Cara-” Dan starts before Cara completely cuts him off.

“I am SOO EXCITED!!!” Cara screams joyfully before, running off to Akiva’s house. I can’t let her get hurt, she is too rare to play soccer! Dan thinks to himself.

Cara

I awake with normality, this is the first day I am allowed by Dan’s words to do something sporty! I put on my very first sweatshirt! Yes yesterday when I was with Akiva, we went shopping for sports stuff. This is so exciting! I am gonna go to Tryouts with my best friend/best soccer player in the school! We also got sweatpants, knee pads, soccer shoes and my very first Soccer Ball! I slip on my new clothes including the knee pads. They fit perfectly. I rush downstairs! This is AMAZING!!! I can actually do stuff in these clothes. I gobble up my pancakes and bacon, put my health homework in my bag, brush my teeth, grab my phone and head out. I text Dan saying I’m at school already because I ran. My gut is twisting, it always twists when I’m nervous and excited. I see Akiva and JJ hanging outs so I hang with Stephanie and Katie. 

“I feel so bad because I want to do this…” Katie says biting her lips.

“Katie, do what you wanna do. If you wanna do that then do that,” Stephanie says supportively to Katie, Not noticing me.

I move away from Stephanie and Katie and go to Akiva and JJ. 

“Is Katie mad at me for something? She just walked passed me while going to school without a single beckon! She isn’t even hanging with me!” Akiva yelps.

“She’s probably excited for badminton and wants to think about it a bit more,” JJ says casually. 

The bell rings, I get inside. First Period GYM!

 Yes I’m excited for the gym class because I'm finally wearing Gym clothes. We do 5 laps around the gym before playing...DODGEBALL!! I am the last one standing but no one can hit me! Normally I’m out first because of my clothes, BUT I’m wearing proper gym clothes!

2 Period FRENCH 

“Bonjour à tous, s'il vous plaît, sortez votre manuel de français pour moi s'il vous plaît,” the french teacher says. I put my french textbook out and put it to the side of my desk as asked. 

“Que faisons-nous aujourd'hui Mme Dellour?” I ask. She smiles like I said something extraordinary, I just asked what we were doing today. 

"Nous faisons quelque chose de spécial aujourd'hui! nous allons pratiquer le français avec un partenaire.” Mme Dellour says way to happy. Ughh I don’t want to practice my french with Violet! Why does Mme Dellour think that’s special?

RECESS

I am so excited for soccer practice at lunch! But that’s in 1h 40m from now.

This recess I’m hanging with Akiva and Dan. Dan doesn’t say much because he isn’t into girly gossip, but he listens to what we say.

“I’m so excited for Soccer Tryouts!” I giggle. I really wanna make it on the team, but I know it is unlikely.

“I Love how your Sport wear looks and fits! It looks stylish and Comfy,” Akiva says, but she’s not giggling back like usual. Is something on her mind?

“Yeah Akiva, you have the best stylish taste in the SCHOOL! I’m so lucky you helped me pick this outfit. Even these shoes are amazing!” I say with eagerness yearning for her to get unfazed. 

3 Period English

“Grab your books and read till chapter 7,” Mrs. Reader says sternly. So I opened my book, Dragons Force by Zuko blue. I’m on chapter 3 because each chapter is 20 pages. 

4 Period health

I grab my homework from my bag about Smoking and Vaping. I know some of the “Cool girls” Vape, but why would people do those things if they know it’s wrong and could damage them FOREVER!! Well it’s not like I know so whatever. All I can think about now is Soccer Tryouts this recess. I'll just Daze about that till it’s time.

Soccer Tryouts/Lunch

I head to Soccer Tryouts. It’s finally time! So when I got there I was so unimpressed to see Dan standing there. He said it was fine that I could go, but why does he have to be here? Like he could do anything else! He doesn’t need to protect me, I will have a big chat with him tomorrow. I see Akiva arrive and I smile, but she doesn’t notice me. I feel bad for whatever is happening. Wait...I see Katie? Ohhhh I get it! This morning Akiva was talking about badminton and how Katie was gonna do it, but she also said that she doesn’t know why Katie was ignoring her/mad at her. It all makes sense now.  

"Think quick!" Ms. Soccer says to Akiva. I think Akiva was dazed about Katie and the ball hit her right in the face! she looked at all of us and I frowned, this isn’t the Akiva I know. Katie started laughing at her! Others joined in including Dan, all laughing at her! I heard Dan mutter about her face and how goofy it was. It was gut wrenching to see Akiva like that. She probably feels embarrassed that she got hit in the face and now people are laughing? I am disappointed at Katie for starting to laugh in the first place! "Tryouts are over," Ms. Soccer says. "I am proud MOST of you joined tryouts today. You'll find out who made the team tomorrow, It'll be on the gym doors." I don’t care about making the team but I know Akiva does. Akiva was so distracted by Katie that she became very sloppy! Well, not AS sloppy as me though.

I sit on my bed with my blond curls in my face and my pink nightgown on. Even though I looked good I didn’t feel good...poor Akiva, how am I gonna forgive all the harsh things people said in the Tryout. I’ll never see Dan or Katie the same. It’s just the sad truth.

Dan

Sometimes I don’t know what I’m thinking. Like why would I let Cara go to the Soccer Tryout all alone? She could get hurt, Think differently about the sporty guys A.K.A Me. I Love sports and being competitive, but I love Cara more than any sport there is in the world! I want to take back my words about saying okay, but I saw how happy and overjoyed she was. I regret that I said that because if I didn’t say that or didn’t say anything I wouldn’t have to see her reaction. I am heading to gym class, but it doesn’t seem so bright as it usually does. I move my shaggy brown hair out of my eyes and continue to run laps...when the teacher said we were doing dodgeball I couldn’t help but think about Cara and her Red tank top and a light blue skirt. Sure it clashed against my “Perfect” outfit according to the girls in history class. Cara was my own angel in heaven. I feel light and on top of the world with her and her animated style. without her I was a Monster working with a bunch of hot coals burning my flesh and that I did the worst thing any Monster would do, let her get hurt. I shove the thought behind me, I have to win this game for her. 

“I Love Cara Fred and that means I don’t want her to get hurt in any possible way. What do I do? I already said I was fine with her doing this and now I’m not sure…” I tell fred. We have always been by each other's side for as long as I remember.

“Come on Dan, does Cara really need your help? It isn’t even time for basketball Tryouts and you need a pretty clear mind to play basketball,” Fred responds. He’s a Genius!

“Yes Fred, you gave me the best Idea ever! I’m gonna do Soccer Tryouts with Cara so I could look after her if she gets hurt! Sorry that I’m gonna miss Basketball Tryouts, but thank you for giving me the best idea in the world!

“Bu-” Fred starts, but I’m not into whatever he has to say. Tryouts are in 1h!

I head to History. The last block before Soccer tryouts! I hope Cara sees this as a good surprise. I make myself comfortable in my seat, just chillin till the end. I see Akiva and JJ looking at me, they’re whispering something about me. I don’t really mind, but they’re friends of Cara so they should know I’m NOT for them. I am so incredibly bored it’s not funny...Like who WANTS to know about how society works in the 1600s like bbbooorrriiiiinnnngggg.

It’s time for Soccer Tryouts and I arrive with Katie, I wave and she waves back sluggish like she’s waiting for something bad to happen. I wonder if I look the same because most people don’t act like that around me. I see my Cara arrive and she looks very confused to see me but then a little angry. Shortly after Akiva joins, she stares directly at Katie and looks a little pale. I push Akiva from my thoughts  and look at Cara. just the sight of Cara makes me feel awful to think that she couldn’t do this alone. She has the clashing unmatching style of her own sweatshirt and sweatpants, leaving her own mark on the place. I smile at that thought. We do some easy kicks and blocks and other practicing stuff. Akiva was Horrible she was so much more sloppy than ever before! I see Katie doing just a little better than Akiva and Cara enjoying herself, the most I've seen her ever!

 "Think quick!" Ms. Soccer says to Akiva. Akiva didn't hear a sound! The ball got kicked into her in the face! That was soo FUNNY! she looked at all of us in horror and Katie laughed so hard! she whispered that Akiva’s face looked so goofy! I snorted so hard and couldn’t stop laughing! Others saw her reaction too and joined in the laughter. Katies laughter is definitely contagious because No one couldn’t stop laughing...except for Cara, she didn’t even laugh. How could’ve she not laughed! Like that was the most pure thing Ms. Soccer did for us EVER!!

"Tryouts is over," Ms. Soccer says. "I am proud MOST of you joined tryouts today. You'll find out who made the team tomorrow, It'll be on the gym doors." Ha I know for a fact that I made the team. Others including Akiva were Horrible! I’ll probably drop out if Cara doesn’t make it. My point score is 83 so I’m pretty confident.

Next Day

I head to school in no rush and a few minutes before the bell. I talk with Katie and then the bell rings. I walk with Katie to the gym door. She gets close enough to the paper to read it so I don’t bother going up though the crowd. 

“YESS!” Katie says very happily but a little quiet after getting back to our spot “I barely made it and you made it too!” 

Katie leaves the gym door and I see why she left. Akiva looks like her mind is blowing and she says, “Katie Welt 77 points! Ugghhh she ruined me! I’m 76 points!” 

I snapped out of my Daze of Akiva because Cara turned me around and gave me a very unimpressed glare. 

“Why did you go to Soccer tryouts when you could do anything else?” Cara asked, completely serious. 

I couldn’t tell her the truth because she might not see me the same. So I said, “I did it because soccer is my passion.” 

“No, you did it to protect me!” Cara says with anger. “I don’t wanna be with a liar that doesn’t believe that I can do anything without getting hurt!” 

“But Ca-” I started.

“No, Bye Dan…” Cara says sadly.

November 14, 2020 21:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Adrian Solorio
13:44 Nov 22, 2020

From my understanding this is a story about trust and faith. Ultimately Dan doesn't have faith in Cars to be able to take care of herself. There's a line when she says that Dan gave her his approval to try out for the soccer team, and he also shows up to the try out to make sure everything goes alright. Dan seems like a control freak and it's good that Cara dropped him. The opening sentences had a character reading lines from the story as if it was a book he was reading to somebody else? Why was that a necessary to the story? Ther...

Reply

Monica D
15:10 Nov 22, 2020

Thanks for you comment and there's a person reading the story to other people about what might happen if they were the characters. The other characters were in part 1 as Akiva's and Katie's friends are the other character's in the story. Part one of the soccer tryout was Akiva and Katie's perspectives. The other loose characters were put into the story because the story wouldn't make sense without some of the same lines so it would effect part one.

Reply

Adrian Solorio
19:20 Nov 22, 2020

Ahhh,,, okay, I see.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Monica D
21:55 Nov 14, 2020

the Soccer tryout parts don't matter in the order because it is the same thing that happens but different perspectives

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.