2 comments

Historical Fiction Drama Suspense

This story is based on mythology of Galinthias, some detailes are true, some are added.

I was mortal once, they said I betrayed Gods but I was only trying to help my friend. They would let her suffer, ah, my dear Alkmene, continuous birth pangs put on her by Moirai and Eileithyia almost killed me watching it. I was her servant, but actually, we were best friends. When Heraklo was born, I felt like he was a nephew to me, I wanted to hold him, but I couldn't. Moirai was mad, he was furious that I stopped their spells and, together with Eilethyia, they turned me into a weasel. I thought my pain would stop, but soon I realized my curse. Three years ago I gave birth, 5 little weasels got out straight through my mouth, reminding me never to mess with Gods again.

It's been a few years since I was in the weasel body so I decided to mess with Gods again. I have been contemplating for a long time what should I transform myself into. My mind was stuck between alligator or some huge lion so I can more easily rip their heads of. However, I decided to be a bit more unexpected, but we will come to that. Since they also made me immortal, my kids will outgrow me soon. I was determined to be the weasel for the rest of my life with the most painful and disgusting births you can imagine. However, they don't know my powers, even as a weasel, I still hold the knowledge of the underground, from the times before, times when I was Gallinthias. I was thinking for a long time how to make them suffer since, unfortunately, no one still figured out a way how to kill Gods. And let me tell you something, Greek Gods are the worst, Ra from my fury friend in pyramids doesn't waste a time on some mountain, like some hedonistic garbage. So I ask myself: What is worse than death? I have to be original tho, no rock to push, liver to be eaten, even Artemis already did my idea of turning someone into deer and let dogs on them. But me, I have to be more creative, I have to make them suffer. I have to do this, for Alkmene, for Heraklo who built me this beautiful temple where I live, and for her, Hekate, goddess who protected me all this years. My thought process about transformation was intense, once I transform, my form will last for at least few years, also, potion that made me able to transform took a year to prepare. I always considered myself more God-like than mortal-like, therefore, there was only one logical solution:

I transformed into a cat.

***

Cats are amazing, if I didn't have my revenge, I would spend all day sunbathing on those big hot stones. I have been living like this for a week now and Alkmene doesn't know who I am and Heraklo doesn't know that I can finally live in this temple built by him in my honor. I love every part of this place as it is a symbol of love given to me by my dearest. The frieze above the columns is decorated with symbols of bravery, and pediment, the most beautiful of all, representing my protector Hekate. This temple is not ordinary, it has more details than the usual Greek style boring ones, also, it comes with the underground rooms. What more can I say than: My dearest Heraklo, you knew my plan before it even began.

Moirai and Eileithyia will come anytime. They think they were invited here by Zeus so I expect confusion in them when they arive especially with the strict instructions to go downstairs. However, Zeus always does crazy stuff, he is pretty weird so maybe they won't suspect. I had to make sure Alkmene and Heraklo are gone by now and I that I have the perfect timing for my potion and plan to work. I can make all kinds of potions, but this one, is my best one yet. With my little black and fury body, infinite lives instead of nine, I go to the underground rooms. They are completely dark and I am almost invisible in here. My potion is ready. I take my paws and put them in a large copper pot full of bubbles and green slime. I let my paws rest as long as I can and I listen for the slightest sound of someone going down the stairs, just a little longer Moirai and Eileithyia, just a little longer. I prepare my body, put the claws out and wait in the complete dark.

Steps are approaching. I always thought it was weird you could hear Gods, can't they just fly? Although I do forget Greek Gods are not as nearly as cool as the ones in the desert, and a bit stupid too. After all, I could trick them even as a mere mortal. Moirai and Eileithyia come to the rooms, I can feel their presence and I wonder if they can feel mine. They can't see me that's for sure, but the potion is hot and smelly, maybe they will come to the pot. They stand in the middle of the room and I can feel their confusion, stupid Greek Gods. I won't wait longer, my paws are ready. From the darkest corner, my little fury black body with paws full of potion comes on them, they start to scream and cover their faces. You can't kill Gods, but you can for sure injure them, and if you are a cat which knows potions, you make them suffer for the rest of their immortal life. I scratch their faces and whole bodies, enjoying their screams, and when I finish I step back. They are laying on the ground in pain, but pain is yet to come. Green slime from my paws penetrates their bodies. Their long hands start to disapear as well as their legs and turn into tiny pink ones. Oh, how adorable, meow! I can see their faces become covered in fur, I observe the formation of elongated snouts and tiny ears and I feel my saliva glands start to work. After screaming, it came silence, almost. I could hear the squeaking of my dinner. Two little mice are running around the dark room, but guess what you "Gods", cats can see in the dark! I start running and catching them througout the room untill I catch both, I feel them going down my throat, decomposing in my belly.

Don't worry you guys, you are immortal remember? You will come out of me when my bowels start to move, reincarnate again from my feces, and make my lovely dinner tomorrow, and day after that, oh how much time will we spend!

With my belly full of delicious Moirai and Eileithyia, I lay on the stones in front of my temple, waiting for Alkmene and Heraklo to return. My body starts to purr as I turn to the stars above my kingdom. Who is the king now you Gods? Purrrr.

March 02, 2023 07:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kandi Zeller
22:50 Mar 05, 2023

I loved the way you incorporated mythology into this prompt!

Reply

Marija Rozman
10:20 Mar 06, 2023

Thank you Kandi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.