0 comments

Adventure Christian

From the Sea

Kai staggered, fighting against the waves, determined to reach the beach. He collapsed on the wet sand just above the surf. Caution tried to rouse him, urging that the sea would drench him, maybe drown him again, if he didn’t move up the beach. Unable to respond, he sprawled oblivious to his surroundings, like rotting seaweed on the black volcanic sand. 

= = =

The surf had been half flat that day, nothing special, just enough waves to tempt a surf bum like himself. He frequently surfed alone. No problem. But a wave had hit just right, at the wrong moment, and the board had struck him in the head. He had awoken deep in the water, unable to tell which way was up, head reeling, lungs already filling with water. Searing, stabbing, ripping pain in his throat and spasms in his chest.

= = =

He woke again on his back, arms and legs spread wide.  No sound. No water. Breathing comfortably. Surprised, his eyes sprang open. No color.  No shapes. He checked himself. No pain. All his parts moved freely at his command.  He sat up and looked around. 

The cavernous space extended as far as he could see, without color or shape, no features to identify his surroundings. But not far ahead, the dim outlines of two doors incongruously stood unattached to walls. Giant men flanked each door. Their skin glowed intensely, like a dazzling sunset reflected on still water. It hurt his eyes to stare at them, but he was too wary to look away. Ramrod straight, like statues carved from frozen fire, they did not look at him or respond in any way.

“Hey, man!” he said to the closest guard.  

No response.

“Hey!” he called louder. 

No response.

“Where am I?”

“Talk to me!” Kai tried a command voice. “Look at me! Where am I?” 

No response.

Maybe I’m invisible, he thought. But he was growing angry at being ignored.  

He got up cautiously. He expected a headache after the crushing blow to his head. But no pain came. And no sore throat or sore chest. Amazing after that brutal pain so recently.

But was it? How long ago was it? No idea.

He stood tall, stretching himself out to his full 6 foot 2, but felt like a midget compared to these Goliaths. 

Who are they? Why don’t they react at all?

He lunged for the closest guy, thinking he might catch him unprepared.  After all, he had been a star high school football tackle not too long ago. Instantly, a razor-sharp sword appeared in the giant’s hand, crossed with his comrade’s sword before the door.  The others matched their actions. There was no hope of reaching a door without those swords impaling him. They could drive straight through and pin him to the floor like a struggling beetle.  These titans were all muscle.  They looked deadly serious about their business, whatever that was.  Kai wouldn’t stand a chance of going around them, through them, dodging them or tricking them.

Can I negotiate?

“OK, let’s talk. Where is this place? Why am I here?” 

No response.

“Who’s in charge?” 

“Who brought me here?”

“Who can I talk to?”

“This is getting pretty annoying!” he barked.

No response.

He decided to explore. He needed to find other sources of information – and some way out.  But, when he walked to the left, the space ahead was no longer roomy. It was getting pretty cramped.  He found himself forced back to his initial spot.  

Has some giant ameba swallowed me? Or am I just insane? 

He tried walking to the right. Same result.

Getting mighty steamed over this! he thought.

He decided to try some psychology. Ignore them. Then maybe they’ll talk.

He turned to the rear of his original position, opposite to the doors. Another door appeared. Unguarded. He ran toward it, but it receded into the distance. There was no guard. He put on a burst speed but couldn’t close the distance. Finally admitting this, he stopped, stood still, trying to come up with a strategy. 

He looked back to see if the guards were following, suddenly concerned that he might be ambushed. The doors and guards were the same distance from him as when he first saw them. There was no response from the guards. No weapons visible.

What is going on?” Kai bellowed, enraged now.  

No response. 

In a fit of anger, he threw himself down on what passed for a floor and closed his eyes.

Too angry to sleep, he thought, as he slid into sleep.

= = =

He awoke to the sound of a bell: crystal, pure but strong, only a single toll but it seemed to persist, as if it would go on forever, resonating, building, and waning. It reminded him of the sweet mournful tones of a gypsy violin (which he secretly loved, though he’d never admit it to his bros.) 

He stood, facing the enigma of the doors and their fiery guards.  

The bell tolling ceased.

One door opened a sliver without assistance. The space around him was filled with vivid color: beautiful, joyful, enchanting shades. Sounds enveloped him, exhilarating music, rhythm, singing, the rapturous tones of violin, cello and oboe, like angels’ voices echoing through the space around him and in him. It seemed to go on for a lifetime though it ended far too soon.  Heady aromas stirred memories of tasty morsels and hinted at all the pleasures he had never quite experienced. Smooth, shiny, clean, cool, friction-free surfaces, over which the hand glides freely came to mind. Ecstasies for all the senses and emotions exuded from behind that door. He fell to his knees for some reason. He felt intense gratitude, more than he had ever known. He realized he had never been truly grateful for anything before. He felt dirty but knew he could be clean if he could just reach that door. He stood and ran toward the door. He longed desperately to enter that place. But the swords reappeared, barring the way. No anger was possible while the joy, the singing, the rhythm, and the melodies bathed him, soothed him, lulled him. But it was the worst disappointment he had ever experienced – in a life filled with disappointments.

The door snapped closed. Heartbreak! Misery!

His eyes were drawn to the motion of the other door. A dark space appeared.

Cacophony!  Clamor!  Clanging! Screams of terror, shrieks of pain, cries of agony, bitterness, and despair.  Harsh reds, blacks, oranges, and yellows, jagged edges, slicing and pummeling all thought. Searing heat. Foul stenches, putrid fumes, stinking smoke. Endless excruciating disease. No music.  Even dirges would be too beautiful. No potential for music. It was a music vacuum. A picture rose up involuntarily in his mind of himself thrown into a stinking slime pit filled with decay, poison ivy, razor blades, and scorpions. A suffocating sense of loss invaded his senses and emotions, flaying him, dragging him over hot coals, driving him insane. He turned to run, walls crowded in on him.  No place to go! He beat against the giant guard, not caring if he were gored, just desperate to escape the filth escaping from that door. Then he knew no more.

= = =

He awoke when a wave washed over him. Sputtering, he crawled up the beach to dry sand.  Exhausted, he collapsed, then slowly, painfully, rolled onto his back. The velvet of the night sky was draped with billions of pulsating diamonds. He drank ravenously of the glorious sight like a parched and dying man at a desert oasis.

“Please God!” he cried. “Don’t let me see that bad place ever again… Please let me see the good place again.”

The stars soothed him, bathed him in their gentle, twinkling light, whispering that their Creator lives. He hears and cares.

The heavens declare the glory of God;

And the firmament shows His handiwork.

Day unto day utters speech,

And night unto night reveals knowledge.

(Psalms 19:1-2 NKJV)

February 28, 2021 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.