0 comments

Romance Fiction

“I remember. Oh, I remember terribly well.” 

If looks could have killed, I would have sliced the tall, broad shouldered, raven haired man standing in front of me, in half.

“I beg your pardon?” Chocolate brown eyes glared back at me.

“No need for begging.” My head cocked to the side as golden locks fell over my shoulders. 

“I don’t know where you come off, Miss Hughes—”

“Oh, so we are back to last names now, are we Mr. Collins?” I leaned back into the plush mahogany chair.

“I—”

“By all means. It would make what I have to say next much easier.”

“Cordelia, I—“

“No, no, no.” I lifted my hand, flicking my index finger left to right.

“Mr. Collins. I don’t know where YOU come off …” I repeated his words right back at him and leaned forward, resting my elbows on the table in front of me. “Correct me if I’m wrong—” Stopping myself, I jerked my hands up. “On second thought, don’t correct me.” 

“Cordelia—”

“That would be Miss Hughes to you.” The way my name rolled down his tongue sent pleasurable shivers down my spine. Pleasurable shivers I did not need now or ever again. “You claim I am responsible for your wandering eye.”

“Wanderi— Cordelia, that is not what I said.”

“Oh, my apologies, your exact words were and I quote …” 

That got an eye roll from Theodore Collins or as everyone liked to call him, Teddy.

“You said,” I continued, “‘You infuriate me so much, I can’t stop thinking about you or what you are doing.’”

“Yes, and?” His hands rested on his hips. Hips my hands wished to explore.

Dragging my eyes back to his, I forced myself back into our conversation. I had to stop thinking about his hips or any body part of his for that matter.

“So you agree you are holding me responsible for your actions?” I said.

“What? No? I’m simply agreeing with you. On the contrary I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“Typical.” I hoisted myself up from the chair. “Never taking responsibility for your actions.”

“I just agreed with you.” Teddy flung his arm in my direction. “You see. Infuriating.”

“You have been pursuing my sister for weeks only to break her heart mere hours ago and somehow I’m to blame for it?”

“If I may?” A small voice echoed from the corner of the room.

Our heads simultaneously turned to the owner of that voice – my sister.

“Teddy has been nothing but a gentleman—”

“Thank you, Emmeline.” Teddy bowed his head.

“And as much fun as our dates have been, I truly don’t see him as more than a friend. There is no need to defend my honour, sister.” Emmeline left her place in the corner to stand in front of me.

“It’s the basic principle—” I was interrupted by Teddy’s library doors swinging open.

“There you are.” Emmeline’s friends occupied the width of the door frame. 

“Oh, hello.” Their eyes travelled between the three of us. “We didn’t mean to interrupt. We were only looking for Emmeline. A few gentlemen have been asking for her to dance.” One of her friends continued.

The remark had Emmeline dribble her feet in excitement.

“You see. No harm, no foul.” Teddy pointed to the girls by the door.

“But—”

“I am perfectly fine, sister and would like to go dance.” Emmeline’s eyes glistened. 

Contemplating the two in front of me, my shoulders heaved as I said, “Alright. Off you go.” My hands brushed her away.

Very unladylike, Emmeline rushed towards her friends, slamming the door behind them and leaving Teddy and me alone in the dark lit, spacious library.

“Don’t think because Emmeline is gone you are off the hook.” I straightened my back, ready to fight. “She may have forgotten, but I remember—”

“You know, you say you remember, but I don’t think you do. Frankly, my dear, you got hold of the wrong end of the stick.”

“I assure you I have nothing—”

“We kissed.” 

His words hung in the air. At a leisurely pace he took a few steps towards me.

“A kissed which should never have happened. And don’t call me dear.” I added the last part half-heartedly. 

“We kissed.” He repeated under his breath.

“It wasn’t …” My heart rate accelerated and my palms felt clammy.

“And once my lips touched yours, I couldn’t think of being with anyone else.”

“That has … I don’t know … You!” Shifting blame back on him seemed like the way to go.

“I have enjoyed the company of your sister, yes. But I didn’t make her any promises.”

“But—” 

Words failed as he placed his gloved index finger on my lips.

“But nothing. Did I tell your sister I was looking for more than going out on a few dates?”

My head shook left to right.

“Did I ask her to marry me?” 

“No.” I puffed against his finger.

“No.” He dropped his hand. “And didn’t she say she thought of me only as a friend?”

Set out to stay in control, I said unsuccessfully breathless, “Maybe.” 

“Maybe, huh?” He leaned in closer, our noses brushing against each other.

“Yes.” My eyelids closed on their own accord, electricity coursing through my body.

“I have tried to stay away from you, but you have made it impossible for me.”

“Is that so?” I said, his breath tickling my mouth.

“We can’t be in the same room without tearing each other apart, yet I want nothing more than to tear your clothes off right now.” He rubbed his nose ever so slightly against mine again.

“Oh?” A pathetic response, but the only one my brain could conjure up.

“Tell me to stop and I will.” Teddy placed his hand on my cheek, caressing it with his thumb. 

“I …” The large room didn’t feel so spacious anymore as heat engulfed me inside out. “I …” 

“Yes?” His thumb slid over my lips.

“Kiss me.”

The words barely left my mouth when I felt his lips on mine, encouraging me to open up to him. I gasped at the feel of his tongue on my lips which gave him the perfect opportunity to slip it into my mouth. 

Wrapping his arm around my waist, he pulled me closer to his hard, warm, needy body. My hands smoothly moved up his chest to his shoulders and around his neck, where my fingers stroked through his raven back hair.

The slamming of the library door had us both jump out of our embrace, only to find one figure standing in the doorway.

“Mother?” Teddy breathed.

April 01, 2022 20:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.