0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

The kingdom of Anaka is on earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is still evolving about 800 years behind. A committee of the Governing Council was in session with the King and his Prime Minister (PM) present. Jellon the prosecutor was making a case against wrong doings.

Jellon addressed HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS (HRH) and  PM and said “People of Anaka have our king as protector. He has largely ruled wisely and well. Still there are some cases where citizens are unhappy. I will bring before this Council those cases. I will start with the construction of the lighthouse. It was awarded to citizen Janga at an estimated cost of 20,000 Gecks. The construction was considerably delayed and finally cost 30,000 Gecks. HRH had approved the extra expenditure.”

Sundu, one of the council members said “I had opposed awarding the contract to Janga who is PM’s nephew. Also because Janga is close to Chili.......”

PM cut in and said “Sundu you mustn’t drag in names of people who aren’t here to defend themselves.”

Jellon continued “The construction of household wells was subsidised by HRH. A very big sum has been claimed by citizens who said they had to dig deep as water was also needed for agriculture. PM had allowed the expenditure which HRH had approved. We know that such deep wells weren’t needed as water for agriculture is being fed through channels from the dam on the river Keet.” After a pause Jellon continued “HRH had ordered that there should be no betting on chariot races, but it was allowed by....”

PM said “Your RH, nobody allowed it. Certain persons did it for private gain.”

Sundu again got up and said “The betting went on under....”

PM said “Sundu, please don’t mention names of people who aren’t here and can’t be questioned based on hearsay.”

Jellon continued “We recently faced flood havoc when the river Keet over-flowed and people who lived near the banks were washed away. Many houses were destroyed, some becoming totally unfit to live in. Compensation was authorised by HRH and as against an estimate of 400,000 Gecks another 100,000 has been paid.”

PM said “In fact even that amount was inadequate as fishermen who had lost boats and earnings had to be compensated. Farmland was submerged and farmers had to be helped with money. There is still a shortage of 100,000 Gecks to pay to those who had suffered.”

Councillor Pico got up and said “I fully agree with PM. I am a cultivator and have 2 farms with labourers working under me. I had to help them out following the river’s flooding. PM has asked me to wait till he can get funds.”

Sundu got up and said “Pico is exaggerating. Money has been siphoned off by PM and Chili.....”

PM said “No personal attacks. For instance, I haven’t even heard of anyone named Chili.”

Sundu shouted “How dare you say that! Everyone knows Chili. She organises dance events at festivals and has a big group of girls working for her. In fact she......”

PM said “We can’t waste time on wild allegations. Jellon, please continue.”

Jellon said “The 10th anniversary of HRH’s reign was celebrated. Of course it was done in grand style in which citizens of Anaka participated in a big way. There was feasting and dancing over three days. The money spent on the event was far in excess of the budget. The bill for food went through the roof.”

PM said “It was natural as our people love HRH and practically every one of them attended the event.”

Sundu said “Chili got a big amount of it. How? Let me explain. There was.....”

PM again said “We don’t recognize an outsider named Chili. Sundu should stop mentioning her name and alleging her doings. Mister Prosecutor, please continue.”

However Sundu said “I won’t be silenced. Let PM explain why Mench was murdered.”

PM said “Sundu has been using names of various people who are not connected with the Governing Council. He must stop.”

Jellon continued “I have almost closed my arguments. If appropriate, HRH may order an inquiry into  financial irregularities if any.”

There was silence for a few moments after which HRH announced “I nominate Councillor Sundu to inquire into all the allegations.”

PM said “Your RH, Sundu is not competent to take up such an onerous task. May I suggest Councillor Pico as the right man to inquire.”

HRH said “I’ve heard you but Sundu will be my nominee.”

Sundu started the inquiry separately. He summoned Chili, a woman of about 35. She came and stood before him in her usual dress which covered her only from waist down. Her spreading abdomen could be seen with birth narks prominently exhibited as if they had been tattooed.

Sundu said “Chili, I want the truth. You can speak openly as you will have HRH’s protection.”

She said “Sir, I’ll confess. I am a simple citizen who cannot read or write. When I depose it will all be in my unpolished tongue. I was PM’s mistress and one of my two children is his. He organized the betting on chariot races which brought me a big sum but he left only a third to me. The rest went to him. Pico sided with PM to grab as much public money as he could. PM gave up sleeping with me as he was inadequate in bed. At the birthday celebration of HRH he got drunk, and got a few of my girls to dance naked before him. I feel strongly about it. If I were a man I wouldn’t have done it as girls have nothing to show whereas men carry their family jewels concealed with them. I don’t know what made PM look at naked girls. Women’s private parts are meant only for midwives to handle and not for men to ogle. Mench was also my lover and often visited me. It was not only because of my innovations with him in bed and cooperating with him when he sometimes failed, that he would discuss many matters with me and seek my advice. Mench was planning to become PM after getting the present PM out. Suspecting such a happening, PM had Mench killed making it appear he had been trampled by a wild elephant. Through my sources I have learnt that PM was planning to kill me as well with Pico’s assistance.”

Sundu called various witnesses who exposed PM’s misdeeds which he reported to HRH.

HRH said “I feel sorry that I had taken the advice of PM who was so corrupt. I order seizure of all his possessions and sentence him to go into exile never again to return to my kingdom. I sentence Pico to prison for a year for having sided with PM in his misdeeds. I also order that Pico’s property be seized, never to be returned. I appoint you to be PM in place of the exiled member.”

Sundu sid “Your RH, I am pleased to accept. But justice has to be done for the loss of public money. It is Your RH who had approved all of the former PM’s actions.”

HRH said “I was misled by him. How do I make amends?”

Sundu thought a little and said “Your RH acquired the priceless Maze diamond which you had presented to your daughter the Princess. If it could be transferred to the treasury, that would be amends.”

HRH was absorbed in thought for a little while and then said “I agree to your proposal. I’ll get the Princess to transfer the Maze diamond as reparation though I know she would be reluctant to do it.”

END

April 05, 2021 10:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.