The story of a heartbroken boy, who killed his sister.

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write about a person trying to see something from another’s point of view.... view prompt

0 comments

Suspense Thriller Crime

That night was picture perfect like someone decorated the velvety sky beautifully with the glowing stars. The snow, which was whiter and smoother than form, covered the whole town, Whitebridge. The moon sat peacefully over Whitebridge, but then suddenly a young girl’s warm, fierce blood filled the whole cold street. Someone threw her from her sixth-floor apartment.


The golden sun peeked through the clouds. Everyone got to know about the goosebumps giving murder of Kiara Lancaster. She lived alone in an apartment on the sixth floor of Solaris Apartments. The Police detectives came to Solaris Apartments; they found a suicide letter by Kiara, the reason for suicide was stated as pressure from a disagreement with her boyfriend, Riley Norwich.


Detectives arrested Riley under the allegations of murder of Kiara, but Riley had an elder brother named August Norwich, who believed that his brother truly loved Kiara, so much that he would never scold Kiara, and having a disagreement with Kiara was unbelievable.


August was a detective’s assistant, so he begged help from a legendary detective. The detective was a famous detective, but once because of her wrong report, her named was Naomi Everly. Then after, never her reports were taken into serious consideration and they gave her small jobs like investigating cat murder and several others like lost and found cases.


But after hearing August’s request, she considered taking the case, but before doing it, she wanted to speak with Riley. The conversation with Riley made her convinced that the case was mistreated, and an innocent was jailed. She wanted the case to be re-investigated, but nobody was interested. So, she started on her own.


August and Noami started the investigation. They started their investigation by taking a look at Kiara’s apartment. The apartment was beautiful and nicely decorated. But then suddenly August noticed a lovely clay vase was missing then he check a photo of Kiara on social media, it was a ravishing vase and something Kiara definitely cherished more than her life. He told Noami about the vase and showed her the photo.


The next spot they stopped was the security guard post because Noami wanted to check CCTV recordings. There was a recording of a parking plot showing someone wearing a black jacket with a bucket cap and wrist-length gloves. That person came just 15 minutes later than Riley. The CCTV showed the person went and stayed outside Kiara’s apartment and when he saw Riley coming out of Kiara’s apartment. He enshrouded till Riley was out of his view.


Then he knocked on Kiara’s apartment door. Kiara opened the door, and it seemed she knew who was he and allowed him with her full willingness. And while he was in the apartment, Kiara’s body was lying on the ground, lifelessly. But the biggest shock was after he went inside the lift; he was not seen in any CCTV.


Noami asked the security guard. He explained to her about a backdoor, there were no CCTV cameras there. Noami and August left the room. Noami, she instructed August to spot a CCTV camera near the backdoor and to revive it. She herself went to Riley.


Noami knew if Kiara entered the stranger with willingness. Then it meant the stranger was her family member, or at least someone she knew. She asked Riley about Kiara’s family. Riley said “Kiara has a small family, her parent and her younger brother, Adam Lancaster. Adam hates his sister because their parents saw Kiara as more capable of handling their family business than Adam. This is one of the main reasons she left her family and settled far away. She was not interested to take over her family business and live her life locked with responsibilities. She wanted to be like a free bird flying in the beautiful blue sky, above the misty white clouds.”


After hearing Riley’s statement, Noami left. She went straight to August, who didn’t spot a single camera near the backdoor. Both of them returned to Kiara's apartment. There Noami saw the whole situation from Adam’s point of view, and she began “Adam came with the full preparation to kill Kiara because she was a hindrance to him and his family property. But when he went near Kiara’s apartment, he heard Riley and Kiara having a vocal war. Then he realized it was perfect timing, so he made a plan on the spot that he will kill Kiara and blame Riley, as they were having a disagreement. The story sounds crystal clear.”


August understood everything and continued, “Then he went knocked Kiara’s door. Seeing her brother, she opened the door willing, and then while talking she must have turned around for something and seeing the golden chance, he must have smashed her head with the vase and threw the dead body out the balcony. If this is true, he must have written the letter.”


 Noami nodded her head and said, “ But, first let’s confirm everything. You check with the forensic department if anything like a few pieces of vases is on Kiara's hair or if she has a fracture. This place is too neat cleared, it is impossible to find a clue. I will check about Adam’s whereabouts. We need a recording show where he dumped the pieces of glasses.”


But before leaving the apartment, Noami collected a page of Kiara’s diary in the evidence bag. She went to the Whitebridge train station and checked Adam’s information. As he was a visitor in Whitebridge, they wrote the hotel he logged in to and his other important pieces of information in the visitor’s register.


Adam stayed in Purple Orchid. Noami reached out to Adam. He was perfectly well. He gave an excuse of being too tired to talk to Noami, but when she showed him, her identity card, he agreed to meet Noami.


 He started, “Officer, why this urgent meeting?”


“Are you aware that your sister has died?”


“What...I was going to meet her today.”


“You are under the inspection of the murder of your sister. So, you are one suspect, can you tell me where you were in yesternight?”


“I was in the hotel because that morning I reached, one day journey in train makes our body sour.”


“Can you prove it?”


“Yes, you can check the CCTV but, wait, now I remember taking a

walk down the street to admire the beauty of the gorgeous night sky.”


“Do you have anything to prove it?”


“No…. I don’t think there is any way to prove my alibi, because the Street Seventeen was closed due to snow.”


“Okay… Thank you for your cooperation, but can I ask you a personal question?”


"All right but make it fast?"


"Do you not feel sad….I mean your sister had passed away. How can you be this calm, it would be a murder.”


“Yes, I feel sad….after all the differences, she was my sister.”


“What kind of difference?... Can you please explain ?”


“Actually, when we were young I really loved my sister, but once I heard my parents that they will give they will shift the ownership of the business to my sister, but she told them, she didn’t want the business but still they stuck to her. This made me angry. Do they think I'm a street dog, who will lick his sister's legs till the end ?”


 “But have you never felt that should I kill her. Then I can take over the whole property easily.”


“Thought about it…. Not once, twice, or thrice but several times.”


“Thank you for your cooperation. I will take my leave for now. But before that, I need a written agreement from you, that you do not leave the city until we caught the culprit.”


“Okay… Do you have a piece of paper?”


“Yes.”


Noami passes him the piece of paper, and he wrote the agreement. She left Purple Orchid with the agreement, she took a taxi to Street Seventeen and while she was in Taxi, she took out a pen from her front pocket. It was grandeur looking pen; there she recorded Adam’s statement. The murderous look in Adam’s eyes was significant evidence and there was no sadness in his eyes, his eyes were dull and emotionless. The creepy smirk he gave, the moment Noami mentioned his sister had died showed he was proud of his art piece.


Every moment was enough to prove that Adam was a psychopath who killed his own sister.


Street seventeen was the only route connecting Solaris Apartments and Purple Orchid, which was the center of marketing for the whole Whitebridge, but as the street was crowded with people all the time, the shops didn’t have CCTVs. Then also Noami wanted to check it once.


Her taxi left her there, and to her surprise, a gold jewelry shop had a short-range CCTV camera. Noami went to the owner and told him everything and requested him for the recording. He was an old man; he showed her the recording.


In the recording, that bucket-cap-wearing man took out a blue plastic bag, which had something in it, probably the pieces of vase along with his blood-soaked jacket and wrist gloves. He threw the bag into the dustbin and covered it with dry leaves; the janitor came and picked up the things the next morning. In the night darkness, Adam couldn't sense the CCTV and the cap was clear. So he kept it instead of throwing it.


As the recycle bin was in the other town, there was no use in finding the bag but the man’s height and cap were exactly matching with the man from the parking plot. This was enough to prove the parking plot man and that Street Seventeen spotted man was the same. And that height and cap were identical to Adam’s height and cap. She left Street Seventeen.


She reached the forensic department office, where August was already holding a report. In that report, it was written that Kiara had a fracture in the back of her head. The puzzle was now perfectly complete.


The moment, Adam smashed Kiara’s head from the back, she had a fracture in the back of her skull and when he threw her, there was a fracture in her nose and forehead. And Noami knew the evidence was more than enough to verify Adam as guilty.


She soon reported this to her friend, who is the team leader of the team that was investigating Kiara’s murder. And after carefully analyzing all the shreds of evidence and recordings submitted by Noami. The whole police department was astonished by Noami's intelligence and speed of investigation. Noami’s position was restored.


Court also dutifully declared Adam as the murder. And before going to prison, he gave a statement to his parents through the media “This is all due to you guys; you never gave me the opportunity…. Which you gave her… I know you, know I’m talking to you….Still, I will say I have no regrets after killing her…”


After some days, on a rainy day, the tears from Ms. Lancaster’s eyes mixed with the raindrops, nobody could differentiate tears or raindrops in her face. That day, she went to meet Adam in prison, Adam was shocked after seeing her mother like that. Before he could say anything, she started “You know you are adopted…It was a rainy day like today…. Somebody kept beside a garbage bin….we took you in for that day, then we decided that we will leave you at an orphanage.”


“What?.... Then why did you adopt me?”


“Because Kiara told us she wanted a younger brother to play with. And somehow she convinced us as well.”


“Why are telling me now?”


“Because Kiara wanted us to never let you know, but now that my child has left the atmosphere…. Nothing can stop me…. Your father didn’t even want to see you. Didn’t even think of dying now, you bastard... Live your whole life rotting in this prison, and thinking about what you have done. ”


Adam didn’t know how to react. His mud-blocked head couldn’t process all of this. It was at this moment, something knocked him. He changed, his eyes became filled with emotions and endless tears started flowing from his dessert-like dry eyes.


Ms.Lancaster left the visiting booth and never turned back. The only thing that could be heard was the painful shouting of a heartbroken boy, who killed his sister.

August 04, 2021 19:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.