2 comments

Bedtime Fantasy Inspirational

There was once a mischievous fox walking about a pond. He smelled an odor, of which he was very fond. Not far away, a decaying rabbit was buried. Lured in, the fox followed the smell in a big hurry. At the foot of a giant oak, the scent was stronger than ever, but before he started digging, the fox paused in a stagger. Clever as he is, he knew who this delicious treat belonged to. And that if he wasn’t careful, he would be through. 

Nearby, a big fat toad was bathing in a swamp. Perfect! thought the fox, I just have to use this chump. The shrewd fox approached him with a polite greeting. He needed to be pleasant before compelling. “Good day to you, my dear Mr. Toad. Fine morning isn’t it?”

Unused to such tact, Toad replied: “What do you want? Out with it!” 

“ Dear Toad… You know that foxes too can be friendly? But now you mention it, I could use a hand.”

“Forget it! I won’t be part of your schemes, buddy. Your cunning tricks are famous throughout the land.”

“Oh come on… Aren’t you at least curious to hear my offer?”

“Fine but quick. My patience is wearing thinner and thinner.”

“You would just have to keep watch while I dig up a rabbit near this tree”

“Have you gone mad?! The wolf buried this loot, didn’t he?”

Because of his silver tongue, the fox could easily persuade. He knew that with the right words, the toad could be swayed. “You think the mighty wolf would bother eating a nasty dead rabbit? He must have forgotten it.”

“What if he intended to eat the poor beast? If he finds out we took it, you and I will be the feast.”

“Nonsense! I am sure he’s out and about hunting something fresh and alive. Even if it’s not the case, with your toxic skin, you’d be sure to survive.”

“Only a fool would take such risk unselfishly. So I’m still waiting to know… What’s in it for me?”

“Toad my friend... Don’t be so hostile. I’ll be sure to make it worth your while. Think of all the flies this carcass will attract. More than you can eat as a matter of fact.”

The toad drooled at the thought of this delicious snack. Fox knew that in front of food, he could not hold back. 

Once convinced, Toad stood guard while the fox dug up the dead rabbit. As soon as his meal was uncovered, the fox hastily ate it. When he saw the cloud of flies appear, Toad was delighted. More insects than his eyes could count — his wish had been granted.  After stuffing themselves heartily, Fox refilled the hole with sand to erase the traces of their crime. But then, Mr. Wolf arrived promptly. He had come to eat a rabbit he killed, for it was dinnertime.

At this moment, the two culprits realized the scale of their mistake. It was the type of monumental blunder no one wishes to make. “We have to tell him the truth. Let’s beg for forgiveness and he might spare our lives.”

“Don’t worry! I can deceive like nobody’s business. We’ll get out of this with lies.”

In only a second, Wolf appeared by the oak. Toad was petrified. Too scared to let out a croak. “What are you two doing here?” asked the wolf in a suspicious tone. “Just two old friends catching up”, replied the fox, as poised as a stone. When Wolf started digging for his snack, the two bandits took a few steps back. 

After burrowing 3 feet deep and finding nothing but soil, He knew that his dinner plans had been foiled.  Furious, the wolf turned around to face his two main suspects. To ease the tension, the witty fox immediately sought to pay his respects. “I can see displeasure in your face. Tell me great wolf… What troubles you so?” 

“My meal was buried in this place. Who stole my rabbit? I want to know.”

Like he always does, Fox concocted a clever lie to get out of this mess, but as it turned out, Mr. Wolf was not impressed.  “ A rabbit you say? It must have been the bear I saw this morning”, said the fox. “ He was carrying a small body and left without a warning.” The wolf knew something was fishy. He glared at the toad who had begun to worry. That’s when he noticed the swarm of flies where the hole had been dug. He thought, Only one thing could have attracted all these bugs

As usual, the brilliant fox was right! There were too many flies for Toad’s appetite. When he realized he’d been lied to, the wolf was enraged. Fox tried to reason with him, but his mind would not be changed. The fearsome wolf was no dupe. He jumped on the fox and killed him in a single swoop. 

The wolf turned around to face toad, with anger in his eyes. Poor Mr. Toad trembled, as his fear quickly started to rise. With no courage left to muster, there’s only one thing he could utter: “Oh please Mr. Wolf, please! Won’t you have mercy? I beg you to spare me. I wanted to tell you but you know how convincing the fox can be.”

“Daft Toad! Don’t you know that lies won’t get you anywhere? Had you decided to tell me, I would have been fair. Alas, you sided with the thief, and now my hunger is causing me grief.”

“Even so, You shouldn’t try to eat me… My skin is all nasty and toxic.”

“In these trying times, finding food’s tricky. I shall take the risk of getting sick. It is true, you may not look very appetizing, but your death shall serve as advertising. Let it be known throughout the woods, that no one should steal a wolf’s goods.” Toad tried to flee, but before it could jump out of sight, the wolf snatched him up and gobbed it in one bite.

Honesty is always the best policy.

December 05, 2020 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sive Rivers
01:37 Dec 13, 2020

Reminds me of Aesop's fables that I read as a child. I loved the narrative, and I agree with the message. Great job!

Reply

Francis Groleau
18:39 Dec 13, 2020

Thank you! Im glad you appreciated it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.