2 comments

Contemporary Teens & Young Adult Fiction

The day Raven Mackenzie graduated, she spotted a familiar face in the crowd. She had not seen her father Travis, since she was about ten. He and her mother Carly got divorced a few years before that. Raven once spent every weekend with him, but there just wasn't the same kind of closeness they used to share. In the end, the two of them lost contact with each other. She didn't even know where he was anymore.


Carly eventually met someone new. He and Raven got along really well. Noah had a daughter of his own, who wasn't living with him. Alyssa liked Carly straight away. She also began to think of Raven as her younger sibling. Her father was happy, so they received her full approval...


####

Raven accepted warm congratulations from her friends and other family members, but she kept her eyes on him the whole time. Travis stood very still, looking a bit uncertain. Her mother caught sight of him. She whispered in Raven's ear. "I had no idea he was going to show up. Are you okay?" "I'm fine. Should I go over?" "It's entirely up to you. Wait, here he comes."


Carly and Noah walked away. She took a deep breath as he slowly began to move towards her. He stopped and smiled at her. "I am so proud of you. Quite the young lady now, aren't we?" Raven knew he meant what he said. He always told you exactly what was on his mind, which aside from looks, was something they had in common.


She didn't realize how much she'd actually missed him. "Thanks Dad. We all have to grow up some time." The tension faded ever so slightly. "I was wondering, could we find somewhere nice to sit down and have a chat? We have quite a bit to catch up on." "Jose`s Diner is still doing business. I need to tell Mum." "Of course. I'll wait by my car."


Although she felt off balance and not much like herself, Raven was sure she could handle whatever happened next. She found she truly wasn't angry or in any way upset, that her father just came back, seemingly out of nowhere. The fact that Travis was even here, could only be a good sign.


He looked as he always did; tall and muscular, messy hair and stubble, with an abundance of freckles. Sure there were a few wrinkles around his bluish-green eyes and faint traces of grey in his ginger locks but at least he wasn't going bald.


Raven had grown several inches over the past couple of years. Her own hair was a similar shade and cut to just above her shoulders. Her eyes were green. She was in decent shape, but sometimes she wished her tummy was flatter.


She used to hate her freckles when she was a kid, but these days, they ceased to bother her. Carly often commented on how much she resembled her father, although Raven always insisted that she was a lot prettier, which made them laugh.


####

Travis seemed genuinely pleased to see her and she felt the same way. Things clearly hadn't changed too much. "What will you do now?" "Volunteer at the library. You know I enjoy my reading. I plan to take driving lessons some time next year. My step sister Alyssa has a part time job for me.


She started a business from home; handcrafted items of all kinds. I will probably be doing the paperwork and answering the phones." "Not an awful way to begin. One step at a time." " She does like my photography skills. Maybe I could have prints made available for sale.


Her customers usually order stuff online, but Alyssa is going to have a store you can walk into, up and running within the next couple of months." "You do love your books. I remember when you were younger, that you brought your camera with you everywhere. I hope this all leads to more promising ventures. Good luck with your driving too."


Are you still working at Uncle Calum's construction company? I noticed a pretty bad limp earlier." "I had an accident. He was kind enough to give me the necessary time off. I should be back there soon." Raven sipped her iced coffee, no longer caring that instead of delving into why they didn't keep in touch, they spoke of other things.


She never really doubted her father's love, but she was pleased to have it confirmed once more, all the same. The last time they spoke, Travis was single. She wondered if that were still so and asked him. He smiled again. "Something else I had been meaning to tell you. I met a woman about a year ago.


Before her, I had gone on dates, but nothing ever came of it. Until Hazel crossed my path. She may be older, but there were definite sparks between us, when I first saw her. I just knew instantly that she would become someone special to me. I miss her terribly. I haven't felt this way for ages. You would definitely like her." "Does she have children?"


Travis frowned. "No but that was more her ex-husband's fault. Gino didn't want kids, so he convinced her to have her tubes tied. Then after almost twenty years together, she found out he was cheating. That was it for her.


She served Gino divorce papers and threw all of his stuff out. He tried to change her mind, but Hazel did not budge an inch. She had been more or less on her own since then. FYI, that wasn't what split your mother and I up." "I know." "We came to the realization that we were better off as friends rather than a couple.


We don't regret having you, but our separation was inevitable. We left each other on good terms. Not all marriages break up so smoothly." "Tell me about it! According to my best friend Erin, her parents are still fighting after they officially divorced a couple of years back." "No-one ever said that relationships were a walk in the park." "True."


Travis then turned the tables, asking her about a boyfriend. She blushed, but shook her head. "No such luck. I am only seventeen. I don't really think I am ready to date. Perhaps after I establish whatever career I can, I may reconsider."


"You're young, there's plenty of years left, for you to find the right guy." Raven couldn't help laughing a little, as the last bite of her chicken club sandwich went down. "It would be something of a miracle if I found him the first time around." Her father scooped what was left of his pasta off the plate. "I doubt anyone is that lucky." "Pretty sure it only happens in movies." "Yep."


SEVERAL MONTHS LATER...


On the 16th of November, there were no clouds in the sky. The sun shone brightly, yet the temperature was only mildly warm. In a secluded area of the Cloverdale Botanical Gardens, a white shade had been hung up over the rows of seats, which invited guests were beginning to fill. Pink and white rose petals were scattered on the green grass. There were tall vases of the same flowers and a ribbon of pale fabric that made a pathway to the alter. Everyone in attendance knew that this day had been a long time coming.


####

Noah paced back and forth like a madman. He pulled at his collar, as if to tear it off. His daughter grasped his hands. Her sharp tone brought him to his senses. "Calm down, you're making a big deal out of nothing!"


His best man Mason and his groomsmen chuckled quietly. He closed his eyes and breathed in and out slowly, feeling a bit foolish. "It's not every day I get married you know." Aunt Chelsea popped open a bottle of champagne. "Liquid courage?"


In another room, Carly was fiddling with her veil, trying to make sure it was secured properly. Raven held the bouquet. Her grandmother and the bridesmaids continued to assure the future Mrs. Kenyon, that she was stunning and the dress fit her just fine.


It was ice blue in color, with beads and lace, framing her hourglass figure and falling to about ankle length. Carly's hair was swept back into a low ponytail, with an embellished filigree clip. Her makeup was carefully applied; light foundation, smoky eyeshadow and a rosy pink lip. She added sparkly heels and diamond stud earrings.


Raven hated dresses, but for this, her mother's wedding day, she was willing to make the sacrifice. To be honest, she thought the turquoise gown with short sleeves was lovely and it made her look very grown up. But she drew the line at wearing high heels, which Carly allowed her to get away with. Danielle the wedding planner, came rushing through the door. "Ready ladies? Let's get this show on the road!"


As maid of honor, Raven was paired with Mason. He was Noah's cousin and openly gay. Of course there were those among the Kenyon clan, who wanted nothing to do with him anymore, but he was fiercely proud of daring to 'come out of the closet.' He was the kind of person Raven herself, wouldn't mind getting to know better.


And so, as soothing piano music played, she and Alyssa, with teary eyes, watched two of their most favorite people in the whole wide world, finally tie the knot. Cheers erupted when the couple kissed and enthusiastic applause followed them all the way to the nearby reception area.


After the traditional bridal waltz and a whole bunch of speeches, the DJ soon had everybody up and out of their chairs. Even some of the older guests were dancing like fools. A golden orange sunset was beginning to peek through the tree tops, and it provided a beautiful backdrop for photos. All in all, it was the perfect ending to what had been a very memorable occasion.


THE END




February 01, 2021 01:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Crystal Lewis
10:20 Feb 07, 2021

What a sweet story. I liked it and the description of the wedding. However, just a small note to make reading a little bit easier - when a new person starts speaking, you start a new line and usually so who's talking. I was able to read yours okay but it wasn't always clear who was saying what. Example: She didn't realize how much she'd actually missed him. "Thanks Dad. We all have to grow up some time." The tension faded ever so slightly. "I was wondering, could we find somewhere nice to sit down and have a chat? We have quite a bit to ...

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:28 Feb 08, 2021

Thanks for reading it and the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.