0 comments

Mystery

"Becky! Will you go to the store and grab some milk and eggs?"

"Sure, Ma!"

I flew out the front door. I loved going out to the store. It made me feel like I was all grown up and ready to take on the world. As I opened the door to the store named "Supplies Forever", the store bells jingled.

"Howdy Becky! How are ya?"

"Fine, Todd. Thanks."

"What can I get for ya today?"

"Just some milk and eggs."

As I waited for Todd to come back with the items, the store bells jingled again. I turned my head to see a young man of about 25, I would guess. He instantly made me nervous. He walked somewhat mechanically. His face looked fake, like he was wearing a mask. Then, I saw it. Underneath his fake face, there was a bit of metal jutting out. When he saw me looking, he winked at me. I quickly turned my head. When Todd came back with the items and I had paid, I walked out the door as quickly as I could without arousing suspicion. After the door closed behind me, I sprinted home. I didn't look back. If I had, I would have seen the robotic man coming out of the store and following me.

After coming home, I closed the door quickly and locked it. Then, I slumped to the floor, exhausted from all the running.

"Becky? You all right?"

"Fine, Ma."

"Okay. If it isn't too much trouble, I'll need you to go out to the store again for some vegetables. I thought the car would be back by now, but Dad's taken it out for the day to go down to the lake with your brothers. Sorry Becky."

"Oh, it's alright. But, can I go later?"

I hoped that by that time, the robotic man would be gone.

"All right. Oh, and just so you remember don't go to Supplies Forever for vegetables. Their veggies are always rotten."

"Okay."

I went up to my room and pondered. Who was that man? I had never seen him in town before, and our town was a small place. Was he a robot, or had I just imagined him? I didn't know. I told myself to stop thinking about him, because the more I thought, the more I worried. I took out my book and started reading. Once I had decided that I had read for ample time, I decided to go out again.

"Ma! I'm going out for veggies!"

"Okay! Just remember: go to Town Shop, not Supplies Forever."

"Got it."

I walked towards the shop. I took deep breaths. I looked behind me. No robotic man. Once I had made it to the shop, I opened the door and made a quick survey around. I didn't see anyone that looked like the man. I took another deep breath. Everything would be all right. I went to the veggies aisle, and got some tomatoes and potatoes. I was about to get some cabbage when I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. It was the man. But, this time I saw his full robotic body. His whole body was made out of metal.

I screamed. My heart was racing. I couldn't move. Then, just as if I had imagined him, he was gone.

"Little girl? Are you alright?"

"There was a man...no, a robot..."

"Seems to be like someone's been reading too many science fiction and mystery novels," the cashier guffawed.

"No! I'm serious."

"Little girl, I think you should go home."

They would never believe me. I knew he was real. He'd come after me. He'd kill me. When I got home, I stormed past my mom, went up to my room, and locked my door. I turned around.

"AAAAAAA!"

"Becky? What happened?", my mom yelled.

"Nothing Ma! Just imagined something!", I lied.

I had seen him. He had been right on my bed.

That night, I couldn't sleep a wink. Every noise that I heard got me thinking about the robotic man. How had he just disappeared? I dreamt about him running after me...killing me...

The next morning, I made a decision. I would tell my parents. I walked down the stairs slowly, thinking about how I would tell my parents.

"Ma?"

"Yes, Becky?"

That wasn't my mom's voice. I slowly turned around.

It was the robotic man. Suddenly, robots were magically appearing out of nowhere.

"Is your name Becky?"

"Yes," I said meekly.

"Please come with us."

"Where are you going to take me?"

No answer.

"I didn't know robots existed!"

Still no answer.

"Are you going to kill me?"

"Maybe. Now, please no more questions."

We walked through my front door and down to our yard. There, I saw robots coming in and out of a hole in our yard.

"Follow me," a robot said.

The robot went into the hole, and I followed. What choice did I have?

We walked further and further. Then, I saw a man. No, a robot. It was a gigantic robot.

"BECKY, IS IT?", he boomed.

"Yes sir."

"YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO ACCOMPANY US ON A TRIP TO MARS."

"Why me?"

No answer.

"I'm sorry. I can't sir. Will you please tell me why you're going to Mars?"

"CAN'T EXPLAIN. NOW, ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO COME WITH US?"

"Yes sir."

"TEAM! KILL HER AND HER FAMILY! SHE KNOWS TOO MUCH. SHE CAN JOIN THE OTHER 200 PEOPLE WE HAVE ALREADY KILLED. THESE HUMANS ARE JUST SO STUPID SOMETIMES."

"No! Please! I'll come with you!"

"KILL HER!"

"Please! AAAAAAAA-"

"Becky? Are you going to wake up? I've been asking you to get up and go to the store for the past hour!"

I lifted my head up. There was a pile of drool from where I had been sleeping.

"Ma? Have I been sleeping this whole time?"

"Yes! Now please wake up!"

I rolled around in bed. It had all been a dream. Thank goodness. Maybe I had been reading too many science fiction and mystery novels.

"Becky! I'm going to ask you for the last time! Will you go to the store and grab some milk and eggs?"

I smiled. This was how my dream had begun. Of course it had been a dream.

"Sure, Ma!"

I walked out the front door for real this time. I walked into the store, and asked Todd for some milk and eggs. The store bells jingled behind me. I gasped. The man from my dream was behind me. Was I still dreaming? I pinched myself.

No, this was reality.


April 13, 2020 18:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.