3 comments

Mystery Suspense Friendship

“Let’s play a game” Shane says breaking the silence that has been hanging over the room. We have decided to hang out at Seth’s place. Since school has started we barely get to see each other; and our friends group is pretty split. “Sounds boring” Seth says not looking away from his phone, he is laying in the chair his head at one end and his feet hanging off the other. “Oh come on Seth, it’ll be fun” I tell him hoping to change his mind. “Fine” he replies sitting up looking at both of us. “What did you have in mind?” I ask turning my attention back toward Shane. “Well we can play truth or dare” he suggests. “Sounds fun” Seth says sarcastically. “Let’s do it” I say after throwing him a a death glare. 

“Ok, ok truth or dare?” Shane asks me, I tap my chin as if lost in thought. "Dare" I say "I dare you to send an ebarassing picture to your crush" Shane says. My eyes grow wide as I retrive my phone from my pocket, I snap the picture and after sending in I hide my face. Shane rolled out of the chair laughing. “Ok my turn, truth or dare?” I asked Seth, he looks off as if thinking about my question for a second. Before he has a chance to answer me, my phone starts to blare ‘black hole sun’. I look over at Seth and Shane who are looking at me, turning my phone over I see the caller ID reads unknown. I ignore the call. “Don’t reconize the number” I pause “Let’s get back to the game” I say, Shane and Seth both agree. "Truth for me” Seth says. "Is it true that you kissed Emma under thr bleachers at last weeks football game?" I ask knowing the answer. Seth is about to give us an answer when my phone starts to ring again same unknown number. “Should I answer it?” I ask them. “Yeah and just tell them they have the wrong number or something” I shrug and swipe over to answer. “Hello” I say. “Seth is such a slob, kissing someone elses girlfriend, wouldn't you agree?” the person says. “Who is this and why are you calling? Don’t call again!” I respond, I was terrified to say the least, hanging up the phone I slam it down of the coffee table. “What did they say?” Seth asks me, I look up. “They are watching us I think, whoever it was they know we are playing this game” I say.

Both guys look at me like I’ve lost my mind. “Remember the question I just asked you?” Seth nods. “Well they said that Seth is a slob, Emma has a boyfrined I guess. How else would they know that unless...” I pause standing up and walking over to the sliding back door “unless we are in fact being watched” I say pulling the curtain over the door. “It’s probably just some damn kid pulling a prank, just relax ok come sit back down” Shane says. “Yeah I guess your right, maybe it is just a prank” I say joining them in the livingroom again. As I sit my phone rings again. “Hello” I say picking up the phone. “Why did you close the curtain” the person asks. “That’s it I’m calling the police” I say, I was just about to hang up when the person spoke. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you Caree” I froze. “How do you know my name, who are you?” I say “The one who’s going to make you pay” suddenly the power went out. “Ready to play?” the voice spoke “Listen you need to stop or we really will call the police!” Seth yells. “I wouldn’t do that” the person said. “They won’t get here fast enough” they said. “Now who’s ready to play?” We all look at each other I mute the call. “Ok we don’t know what this person wants let’s just play get it over with” I say to them. “Got it” they both say I unmute the call. “What game did you have in mind?” I ask them “Let’s play hide in go seek if I find you...you’re dead” they pause “You have thirty minutes to hide” they pause static buzzes through the phone “go” they say ending the call we jump up without saying a word and find a spot to hide. Not wanting to get to far apart we hide close I crawl under Seth’s bed and slide all the way to the wall, I see Seth  hide in the closet and Shane hides in the bathroom. A few moments later I hear the door open down stairs and hear footsteps coming up the stairs I slide back more until I feel like I going to push through the wall I see a shadow and stop breathing the figure appears in the door way of the room walking toward me. A pair of mud covered boots stand just inches from my face I cover my mouth slowing my breathing hoping praying even that they don’t find me, I look over and see Setg moving to a different spot but he stops when he sees the person standing in the middle of the room his plan turns bad when he steps back and hits his heel on the door. He turns the corner before they have a chance to look over at him, now all the attention is turned on the bathroom. They peak into the doorway I can hear Seth yell I don’t want to help because it could mean death for me, “please let me go!” He yells at them “I don’t want to die!” He continues but it’s too late his finally scream is cut off by him gasping for air. I start to cry quietly and soon relies it’s not over Shane is now moving I wave at him to go back but he doesn’t listen to me and tip toes down stairs. His plan was not as plan I heard him scream in pain as he stepped on something the person flies out the room and is at Seth in no time “wait, wait, no stop!” I hear him say not knowing what to do and frozen with fear I cry some more wishing this night would end already or maybe the person would leave. I don’t hear Shane anymore all I hear is someone slowly walking around down stairs “come out come out where every you are” they say I don’t want to move to afraid but I know they will leave soon I pull out my phone and dial 911 “911 what’s your emergency?” the lady asks me “I need help” I whisper “Mam what’s going on are you hurt?” she asks me “No there is a stranger in my friend’s house one of friend’s are dead and the other is still alive but hurt I think” I whisper to her “Ok I have your location we are on the way be there as soon as we can” she comforts me “Ok thank you” I whisper before hanging up the phone and not a minute after that I see the stranger is coming back up the stairs. But instead of walking toward me they turn the other way  and walk slowly around the corner knows my shot I scoot out from under the bed not wasting anytime I run down stairs and tip over something looking up I see Shane barley breathing and lying in a bloody mess. I help him up but soon come to the realization that he is to heavy so I drag him instead, I put him in a closet down stairs “Stay here ok” I tell him he nods weakly after closing the door I tip toe to the kitchen and search for a knife but there were none to be found. I hear sirens about a block away “Yes” I say to myself just as I’m about to go get Shane the stranger runs down the stairs and I met with him “Oh my God it’s you” I say shocked “Ryan what did you do, why did you do this?” I ask him “It’s about time you take the blame” he says tossing the knife on the floor at my feet and running out the back. I stand there not able to move covered in blood as the police come through the door, I tell them where Seth is and what happened to Shane then by surprise a pair of hand cuffs soon become all I knew and now I am sitting in the back of a police car watching two body bags being carried out containing my friends all because we wanted to play a game. 

August 14, 2021 17:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

00:02 Nov 10, 2021

i love

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ayush Kakar
08:16 Sep 07, 2021

Yes

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:34 Aug 23, 2021

Such a great story! 🖤🖤🖤

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.