0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

"You know what I was thinking? The dez is like a simile for the world... I mean like, many people just see nothing, but in reality there's a lot of beauty if you just look... in one of the two most beautiful countries in the world (or at least outside of Germany and Austria)"

"Yah, that's very true, babe :) the dez is just great!"

"Yah it is (: you know what else is great, or even greater?"

"What?"

"You"

"I love you, you know that?" he said, smiling at her lovingly and taking her hand in his.

"I love you too" she replied, lovingly squeezing his hand back smiling at him lovingly back.

"This is what life is about... you and me, and mates and family, and nature... none of that whole who's got more money, fame, the latest whatever... none of that stuff matters at the end of the day, this does..."

"Well said, babe" he said smiling at her and seeing her do it too.


A little while later, nearing a town...

"We're gonna need to stop by the servo too, running low..."

"Okay, and good time to refuel on snacks and lollies too hey"

"Right heh"


Moments later... 

"That's strange... is that a person? out here alone?"

"Hmm... it seems to be..."

"I swear, if we're about to be attempted murdered... well, they'll fail miserably because I've watched way too much true crime for them to get anywhere with that idea. But let's not assume anything, we'll be fine..."

"Yah, for sure"

"Slow down, let's just see what they're about..."

"I don't know about that...

"We'll be fine, if anything, you can floor it"

"Okay..."

"Hello... are you alright?"

"Yes, yes... I just got in a silly argument with my partner and they took off... some people..."

She turns to see him rolling his eyes like "oh great..."

"Oh, well, we can give you a ride back into town if you need... good to get out of the sun for a bit too..." she told the man turning back to him, and feeling like a certain person is thinking "we're deffo gonna get murdered or something now..." "we won't..."

"Don't worry, I'm not a danger"

And on this they turned to each other like uhh... good?

...awkward silence...

"You know, not many people would stop to help someone in need, especially when there doesn't seem to be something in it for them..."

"That's true... But we should all be helping each other... human or otherwise... every life is important and valuable and capable of good things, even if humans seem to lose track of that.. that's also why volunteering is great, but it's fun too a lot of the time. And we always help whenever we can. And he's a lifeguard too, and I volunteer and donate all I can too. And it's nice to help the homeless where one is whenever possible too. It's needed more than ever and you never know who you could be helping or how much of a difference you could possibly make..."

"Very true indeed. You're wise. How old are you?"

"Ageless. Hah, no but seriously, we're young and old enough at the same time."

"Fair dinkum...."

"So where are you coming from?"

"Oh, just a town nearby... but I travel quite a bit... work and such, I'm sure you understand..."

"Yes... well that's nice. Hope things are going well for you."

"Yes, they're good, thank you. And things will get better for you too."

"Cheers for the vote of confidence. It's already great but I wouldn't mind things getting even better, of course." she said turning to her right, smiling at him to see him smile back at her.

"You two kids are blessed to have each other. After everything... So I hope you two remain well and happy together for a long time."

"Well, thanks mate. That's all I want as well. Anything for him hey... I love him"

"Same for me for her of course"

"It's beautiful to see young people actually in love, considering how many erroneously believe they are but aren't and it's all hormones and lust and the like... you can tell when it's real, yknow... if you know..."

"Right" he said.

"And... It took so long to get to him, and it was a needle in a haystack of the world, it seemed like it would take a miracle to get to him... but if I knew one thing, is that he is worth it... I've never felt that way about anybody before... well, mix of never felt that way and never thought I'd feel that way again or even be remotely happy... and I kept hoping and wishing and praying and everything, and doing what I could... and knew I wasn't going to give up on him, on us... and here we are. Happy and in love and everything... he's the best that's ever happened to me."

"And I'm happy she did. She's the best that's ever happened to me too, and I love her too." he chimed in.

"And I'm happy for you two. You two are special, and you've got something special, and it radiates out, youknow..."

"Yes, we know, but it's always nice to hear someone else say it too."

"I'm sure..."

"Random question, but are you vegan?" she asked the man.

"As a matter of fact, yes I am. The value of real nutritious is highly underestimated, especially lately. But of course, that also depends where I am. I travel quite a bit, as I've told you, so it's important to do your best and be living at one with nature as opposed to off it. So as long as you respect all beings, then that's what matters. But as I'm sure you know, people being earthly beings, make mistakes and that's alright. But as long as you all do your best and are happy and well."

"Exactly. And it's important to remember that and wish more people would understand that as well..." she told him.

As the servo came into sight, she turned around to give the man a head's up only to see him gone.

"What the-?!"

"What ba- the f? Where did he go??"

"He was just here! And it's not like he just fell out... maybe he was a spirit or something?"

"I don't know... maybe we just hallucinated him..."

"Nah, he was deffo here..."

As he pulled into the servo to fill up, he realised it's already full as if it's just been filled too...

"Babe, look at this! It's already filled up! But we were low..."

"So yah we deffo didn't hallucinate him... and I'm surely not complaining... there's so much to the world we don't know or understand yet... however strange it may be..."

"Yah... that actually happened to us though..."

"Yah... that's pretty great though, honestly..."

"Yah, it is... They're so not going to believe this!" he said.

"Maybe... But then again..."

September 11, 2021 03:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.