139 comments

Funny High School Teens & Young Adult

I know it’s a stupid decision, yet I took it. Why do I always do things, which embarrass me in the end?

 Sitting on the sidewalk, seeing faces that are strange to me, is my favorite pastime. On top it’s the Valentine season, young love blossoming, couples rolling their tongues into each other, making fake promises. I adore this drama, also I used to be part of this whole brainwashing stunt some years ago, but right now, I am single ready to mingle.

 First, I needed a stable job, and money to pay my rent and bills. The pandemic ruined our company, which took a toll on all the employees. I did not get my salary for the last few months and my company shut down. So, I am jobless and soon will turn into homeless.

To start afresh and to bring out some change. I considered perming my silky straight hair. I wanted luscious locks of curls falling on my forehead, but the perm turned out to be a disaster.

 Now, my hair is looking like noodles, and it’s ruined my whole look. I spent 100 dollars on the whole process. Still, it did not come out as I expected.

I have rent to pay, bills, and study loans over my head. Then why did I invest it in such a childish whim? Sometimes, I have to consider rethinking before making impulsive decisions.

In this whole lockdown, I watched Oparah, you know, to get the boost of motivation you need. Instead of getting excited about my life, I got driven to mimic her hairstyle. I think my brain is wired differently, I always see the world in rose-colored glasses.

I was also kinda hit away by the new trend of #NewMeInNewYear. But why did I choose my hair?

 I could have chosen a weight loss or fitness regime. Why did I choose this stupid yet expensive hairstyle? Even I don’t have answers for my stupid actions.

My stomach rumbled, signaling me about my hunger. I check my wallet. I have only 4 dollars with me. I can buy some donuts and a diet soda. I rise from the bench progressing towards my favorite bakery, but a strange smell stung my nostrils. I turned a whole 360 degrees to whiff the source of the smell but could not find it. I gazed at the sky and the ground to see if the source of the smell is nearby. I couldn’t find it anywhere.

“Put on some deodorant, miss,” a blonde girl shoved me from the pathway. While spitting the words on my face. I smelled my hair, and bam my nose burnt. The chemicals were still lingering on my hair, and now it was blazing the nostrils of people surrounding me. My style goes with a rule. I am told not to wash my hair for the next 48 hours. I think I should try to murder my landlord with this smell and solve my problem of rent debt.

I smiled upon my immature idea and marched down to the bakery.

“How much for the donuts, diet soda, and cookie.” I haste my words because my hunger was at its peak.

“It's 6 dollars and 50 cents,” said the cashier.

“It's Valentine's day, isn’t there any discount and donuts are 4 dollars, right?” I ask her with dismay.

“It's our policy when we put the discount board that means that there is no discount. We have these special donuts, not the regular ones, so it's expensive.”

“Just give me the cookie and the soda.” My stomach made an upset groan, even it was expecting the sweet donuts.

I turned from the counter with consternation and a growling stomach, when something icky got spilled over my shoulder. When I saw the source of the cold coffee spray, my eye's balls rotated 360 degrees. Its Max. Max Taylor, captain of the football team, a serious jock, an A grade student, a handsome hunk, a model, and whatnot. He still has those fox eyes with ocean color in them, his jawline was still in shape like it was 6 years ago. My heartbeat raced, blood rushed to my cheeks and a smile popped on my face. Do I still love him? I don’t know.

“Miss, I am sorry, this day is going worse for everyone,” he speaks with a honey voice while handing the tissue.

But I was gazing at the Greek god in front of me, feeling the butterflies like I used to 6 years ago.

“Are you going to gaze at him, like a raccoon for the next two hours too?” The voice interrupted my flow of thoughts bringing me back to reality.

I flushed more and apologized to the cleaning lady. The cold coffee was spilled on his navy blue suit and it stained his white vest.

“I apologize miss, I was not looking where I was going,” He had a sour tone in his voice.

“It's your habit, it can't be changed,” I murmured to myself.

“What?” He tensed his forehead while asking.

“Nothing, it's just…” The cleaning lady interrupted our conversation, even before I could continue.

“If you don’t want your parcel, can I take it?” the cleaning lady taunted me with fire in her eyes.

“Sorry, I will take it.” I took the package without even looking into her fierce eyes.

“It's just a cookie and soda. Can I buy something from you? Like a coffee or a donut.”

“I would love it,” I say without thinking.

We took a small table and he ordered a black forest pastry and warm chocolate milk.

“So, miss can I know your beautiful name?” He asked with a selfish grin.

“It's Rose, Max.”

“Ok, wait how do you know my name?” His body postured tensed.

“Max Taylor. Student of St, Joseph. A valedictorian with a famous personality. Had more medals than the hair on the head. Loved his girlfriend Veronica like Romeo to Juliet.”

“How do you know all that?” He flashed a charming smile.

“I was your batchmate. The girl who wrote a poem for your birthday.” Tears swell in my eyes while recalling the incident.

“Ya, that’s why I felt that I have seen you somewhere before.  I remember you had an amazing smile and such beautiful eyes.”

“You used to tease me about my braces and once called me owl because of my specs.” I correct his narration.

“Ahh…” he paused a bit.

“I think, I messed up your description. But I remember you used to have these awesome grades and topped our English class always.”

“I flunked most of my subjects, and once you called me a donkey for getting the least score in the class.” Why am I recalling this and yelling in the public?

“Ohh, I think I messed up again,” His body language changed.

He continued to stuff his mouth while I kept talking.

“Let it be. The past remains past, by the way, how are you?”

He lifts his head and gulps down a huge chunk of my cookie.

“It's great, how is your life going?” A few pieces of cookie fly out of his mouth and land on the table.

“I am good. Are you still dating Veronica?” I don’t want an answer, but still, I ask.

“We kind of broke up a few days ago,” His face drops.

“It's ok, time will heal it. I think you may now feel the effect of my heartbreak. Just like I had felt 6 years ago.”

“Excuse me, what instance are you picking on?” His brows tense.

“It was your 16th birthday. I composed a poem for you and gathered some courage to sing it in front of everyone. But you poured a whole bottle of Mountain Dew over my head and made fun of my feelings. It's ok, it's not sensible to dig the past.”

“Umm, I hate girls with curly hairs,” he vaguely points in the direction of my hair. “ That’s why my behavior was kinda odd to you.” He again flashed his selfish grin.

“Wait, I had extra straight and smooth hair in my high school. You don’t remember me, right?”

I looked into his eyes with fierce emotions and balled up my fingers.

“It's tough to recall you. But I am trying,” he ate some of his words and spoke some.

“ Why did you buy me food if you could not recall me,” I gave him a confused look.

“Well, sorry to cut in your chit-chat, but it's 8 dollars in total,” said the waitress.

“I forgot my wallet in-home, can you pay?” he asked me without a pinch of shame.

“ You sat with me. So, I could pay for you, am I right, Max?” I stand up and place my hand on the table and fix my eyes on his face.

“Its.. n-o-o-t wh-at y-ou thin-k” he stammers.

“You know Max, you stammer when you lie. Am I right?” I want to punch his face, but control my senses.

“N-o-o, its n-o-t-t lik-e t-hat..”  Before he could complete his sentence, I threw the water from the jug on his face.

“ You kinda deserve this.” A heavy feeling took off from my chest after doing it. I feel I took my revenge for his past deed.

“Excuse me, I think you forgot, but I am standing right here. So, who’s going to pay for the bill?” the waitress is controlling her laughter, and the whole café is recording, and having a good laugh seeing us.

I just don’t want this to go viral now.

 

 


February 20, 2021 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

Writer Maniac
11:55 Mar 09, 2021

Hey, could you please give me feedback on my story 'Black and White'?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
12:23 Feb 21, 2021

It was a lightly humourous story. I felt however like the dialogue was a bit forced and the events that happened in the store confused me a bit. I'll read it back again and see if I can make sense of it. But I found the part where Max tried to chat her up really funny. And when the narrator kept correcting his narration, that part was really funny as well. Even though there is room for improvement, it's a good first try! Well done! I also posted two stories recently called 'Still Have Each Other' and 'Love is Enough', and I would appreciate ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
11:37 Feb 21, 2021

I tried my baby steps in humor so please tell me if I could do it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
User_2443 0967
16:48 Mar 09, 2021

HAHAHAHAHHAA Radhika, this is gold!! Amazing, I would adore seeing this as a movie, lollll Superior storytelling, Radhika!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:01 Mar 10, 2021

Thanks, timber, I loved your comments on my stories. Thanks for reading them.

Reply

User_2443 0967
14:02 Mar 10, 2021

No problem!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
User_2443 0967
14:02 Mar 10, 2021

No problem!!! They were awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

This was a fantastic story, Radhika! The small details and imagery you added to illustrate the setting and feel of the story were great. The main character's financial situation connected the reader with her, her struggles made the reader be more invested in her story. You also did a great job of making the reader hate Max for his rude, arrogant behavior. If you want feedback, my only suggestion would be to maybe change the punctuation on some of the sentences so they would flow a little better. For example, maybe changing the placement of...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Aww bye when are you leaving? (Even though you don't know me much XD)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:19 Mar 05, 2021

I have written this 2 weeks ago. I just came here to read stories and will go again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
01:11 Feb 23, 2021

DON'T BE SHY, THROW SOME MORE WATER Wow, I adored this story! It made me laugh at parts, which I really enjoyed! And I have developed an absolute hate for that Max dude, I mean like what kind of person is he??? You should be very proud of this :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
04:58 Feb 23, 2021

Thank you, Kate, you are a lovely girl too. I will miss you very much. I just had a request for you, can you read my first story and give feedback to me in your free time.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:41 Feb 23, 2021

Aw thank you! :) As will I Ofc, anything! I will leave some feedback ASAP!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
00:51 Feb 23, 2021

RADHIKA. YOU'RE LEAVING??? I really don't wanna force you to stay, but you've been one of my closest and oldest friends on Reedsy that I cannot imagine it without you. I don't want to beg, but it would mean a lot to me if you stayed. We (especially me) will miss you tons if you leave, but if you feel like that's the best thing for you, then don't let me stop you. And yeah, when I joined Reedsy I joined because I wanted to improve on my writing skills, but now it's overrun by clubs (no hate). But I'm still going to stay here for the hope t...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
05:01 Feb 23, 2021

I will miss you a lot too. You are the co-founder of my club, you inspired me to make it and brought people to the club. I am grateful to your eternity. Thanks for describing my stories in such a wonderful way. You are a great writer too and I love you a lot.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:55 Feb 23, 2021

Awww thank you so much! Well, they are wonderful <3333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:20 Feb 22, 2021

YAAAAAAS Ok, I know you probably want tips; my tip is you should use semicolons, since there are some run-on sentences; like I'm doing right now in my run-on comments.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:48 Feb 22, 2021

Thanks, I would definitely keep it in my mind.

Reply

13:57 Feb 22, 2021

Ok! Could you check out mine???

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:13 Mar 07, 2021

I did check out, was my comment helpful?

Reply

11:16 Mar 08, 2021

Yes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:02 Mar 17, 2021

this was humongously humorous and also a bit of horrorly but instead of the 'pls, let she escape the monster' kinda thoughts, my head was freakingly filled with thoughts like 'pls, this can't end in an happily ever after together!' from the time she met max.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
09:19 Mar 17, 2021

And behold it didn't turn to be a happily ever after. This was my first attempt at humor. I loved that you found my story hilarious.

Reply

09:56 Mar 17, 2021

Thank you. my first attempt in humor was, i dunno, kinda based on the frog and the princess XD tho it didn't end up this funny (it was titled "The (Virtuous) Princess and the Frog") , would you mind if i asked you to read my new stories and leave feedback, i would love to hear what you think =)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
10:52 Mar 17, 2021

Sure, i will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
23:44 Mar 16, 2021

Hiiiiiii!! Just wanted to let you know that my newest TSD featuring you is out today!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Izzie Q.
01:24 Mar 16, 2021

AMAZING!! You have such a powerful way of expressing emotion and sitations <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
20:32 Mar 14, 2021

Also, this may sound weird, but if you were to have a password for people to know its you, like a code word, what would it be?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
20:26 Mar 14, 2021

hey, radhika. I think you forgot to tell me what your character's hair color is. if you don't mind, could you tell me?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
01:29 Mar 15, 2021

Lilac color, with blue streaks in it.

Reply

Lilliane Wei
02:16 Mar 15, 2021

Awesome, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
17:38 Mar 13, 2021

Hey! I liked the not so fairytale ending of this- it was cool. A couple grammar edits, even though it's too late... "On top it’s the Valentine season, young love blossoming, couples rolling their tongues into each other, making fake promises." I would say "On top of that" "out some change. I considered" you need a comma, not a period. Your plotline, characters, and monologue are great, but I suppose my only critique is your grammar. You might want to consider getting Grammarly if you don't have it already. (no shame- I have it) Your dialo...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:40 Mar 13, 2021

I use Grammarly and to tell you the truth sometimes my application does remove some things. Sure I will keep the points you mentioned in my mind.

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:41 Mar 13, 2021

Ah, okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
00:03 Mar 13, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:04 Mar 13, 2021

Thanks so much, Kate.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:52 Mar 13, 2021

Ofc! It’s very true

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
21:08 Mar 12, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:04 Mar 13, 2021

Thank you so much tiff. How are you by the way? Long time no see.

Reply

TJ Squared
03:07 Mar 13, 2021

pretty good, now that I got my feelings on paper, it feels better. If you don't know what I mean, scroll down on this story's comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
21:07 Mar 12, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:05 Mar 13, 2021

Hi Felicity. Thank you so much. You are back?

Reply

Felicity Anne
03:42 Mar 13, 2021

Yep!! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
18:10 Mar 12, 2021

part 9 out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
22:37 Mar 11, 2021

part 8 out

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.