38 comments

Drama Sad Mystery

I take one last look at my room my brother's new room. I look at the walls that have had so many different posters over the years. I look at the carpet where my friends' sleeping bags had been rolled out on slumber parties. I look out the window that kept me cool in the summer.

One last goodbye. Then I would be gone from this city. The city where I had taken my first steps, where I had made my first friends and had the best moments of my life.

A tear escapes my eye and slides down my cheek. I stick my tongue out and taste the salty tear.

"Eek!" I try to spit it out after remembering that tears were made out of our body's sweat and mucus.

Sighing, I stroll out of my room and hurry downstairs. I see my older sister Sia with her textbooks and a glass of orange juice.

"Sia, I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry for stealing your clothes or annoying you when you had your friends over. I really hope you can forgive me before I leave and-"

"Not now Natalie, I have to study. Leave me alone, I have too much homework due," She flips the page and starts taking notes in her notebook.

"But I'm leav-"

"Did you not hear me? Go away and let me concentrate!" She doesn't even look up from the stupid textbook.

Tears sting my eyes and I walk out of the kitchen and head to the backyard.

"Tommy? Tommy, there you are," I wrap my younger brother in a hug but he starts to wriggle out of it.

"I am seven years old now. I'm too old for hugs," He humphs and crosses his arms.

I bite the inside of my cheek to stop me from laughing.

"Okay, big boy, I wanted to tell you how much I'll miss you. You always make me laugh and..." I trail off as he raises one eyebrow.

"When did you learn how to do that?" I ask him, he had always asked me how to do it but had never learned.

"Stop being boring. I'm going to go play with my friends."

"Just don't forget me after I leave, okay?"

He nods quickly and runs away.

Why does nobody care? Were they not going to miss me?

I walk inside and go up to my parent's room.

"Mom? Dad?"

"Did you pack everything? Are you sure you're not forgetting anything?" My mom hurdles question after question on me.

"Yes, Mom, yes. I have everything. Where's Dad?" I look around.

"He's inside the study working."

My shoulders slump.

"That's fine, I'll say bye to him later. Mom, I'm going to miss you so much. I love you to Pluto and back."

"Nat, I don't have time for this. I need to call your aunt and make sure she remembers when to pick you up from the airport. She never remembers anything."

"Yeah, um, okay. Just call me every day okay?"

"No! If I do, you'll just get homesick!" My mom exclaims. She leaves me standing there and goes to call my aunt.

"Knock, knock," I rap my knuckles on the door of my study. Dad always loved playing knock-knock jokes with me.

"Come in."

"You're not supposed to say that Dad," I scold him playfully.

He doesn't respond, just keeps on typing on his MacBook's keyboard.

"Dad, you know I'm leaving in a few hours. You're going to regret not talking to me right now," I smile knowing he'll turn around now.

But he doesn't and I frown.

"Dad, before I go, I want you to know that you're the best dad in the world, and I love you. I'll miss you a lot."

"Yes, I know. I have a lot of work and I'm really busy. I can't talk right now."

Nobody wants to talk to me. Not even my own parents. Maybe all of them never even loved me. They were just waiting to get rid of me.

I take out my hoodie and slip it on. I put my phone in the jeans pocket and go for a walk.

I'll go to the park. Yeah, that's a good idea. The park always makes me feel better.

I start running and the light summer breeze blows my hair around.

What did I do wrong? Was I not a good enough daughter?

I start running faster and tears run freely run down my face.

I start crossing the street and I hear a honk. I turn my head right just in time to see a bright red Honda coming straight at me.

And I see blackness.

*********

My eyelids feel heavy but I force them open.

"She's awake! Doctor! Call the Doc!" I hear a female voice yell. Some other person runs out of the door.

"Where am I?" I ask but it comes out like "Werami?

"Shhh. It's okay. You're in the hospital right now. Your family is waiting outside. The-" She gets interrupted by my mom rushing in. Her face is all wet and she sobs.

"My baby!"

"Ma'am, I need you to get out! The patient needs to rest."

"Natalie! You're awake!" my dad comes in with who I assume is the doctor. My siblings follow them with a red-faced nurse who looks like she just ran a mile.

"We're so sorry Natalie! We were trying to prank you but then you just left and then we got a call from Alessia's mom saying that somebody ran you over and... I'm so sorry!" My mom grabs my hands.

"Ma'am! She is not in any condition to talk right now!" the doctor sounds angry. "We don't even know if she'll make it!"

The room gets silent with those words.

"What do you she might not make it?" My dad grabs the doctor's shoulders and shakes him. "She has to make it! She can't just not make it!"

A sob escapes Tommy's mouth and my sister hugs him close.

My vision starts to blur and some machine starts beeping.

The nurse looks to the doctor, her eyes widening. Some kind of silent understanding dawns between them.

"No." My sister whispers.

"It's okay," I say. I'm vaguely aware that my voice sounds like a mouse, quiet and high-pitched.

"Don't," I take a deep breath. "Don't blame yourselves. I forgive you."

And with those words, all consciousness slips away from me.

April 16, 2021 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Mohamed Sarfan
05:41 Jun 17, 2021

Dear Writer, The value of life cannot be calculated in terms of dollars. Even the flowers turn into thorns and punish me as I read the letters of my tears in yesterday's smile in my mind. In the mind of every human being a few relationships are frozen as life. The path, the journeys can be restored as long as there are breaths in the pilgrimage of life. On the contrary, after stopping breathing, yesterday's man becomes like today's clay doll. A born-again writer does not rewrite the poem that once read the mind. Write more Congratulations

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
16:46 Jun 17, 2021

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! It means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
01:59 Apr 20, 2021

Amazing

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
03:50 Apr 20, 2021

Thank you so much! :D Your comment means a lot to me :)

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
06:02 Apr 20, 2021

Welcome, I am looking forward to learn a lot from amazing authors just like you bro

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
17:30 Apr 20, 2021

Oh wow! Thank you! I'm pleased to know you think that!

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
23:40 Apr 22, 2021

Kindly read my story I need to talk to a fairy

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
19:10 Apr 23, 2021

Sure! I'm kind of busy with school rn, but I'll do it later :D

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
20:39 Apr 26, 2021

I am a zero fairy , you are a real happy fairy stay blessed stay safe stay happy

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
20:45 Apr 26, 2021

You are not zero! You are like a hero Bia! I wish you all my luck and blessings! Stay safe!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฅฐ I feel blessed to have such a great and awesome friend like you! I don't even know if I deserve somebody so kind!

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
20:50 Apr 26, 2021

Keep living, keep laughing and keep loving!๐Ÿค— You are like an angel

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Riya ๐ŸŒบ
20:47 Apr 16, 2021

That was a sad story to write :| But it was all I could think of for this prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey! Since Whisper . had to leave Reedsy, she asked me to continue the Project Ignite series, but I've realized that I don't have all the characters. Whisper . gave me a list of Reedsy people who submitted characters, and I have a form here for you to fill out (If you still want to have a character in this series): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1T_vLLr3F7axq-aDvjKjZ8S3ns4P50DYfXmBZIp29IgI/edit

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
04:41 Apr 29, 2021

What? Whisper. left?! Why?

Reply

She said that Reedsy was taking up too much of her time, so her account is now inactive. :((

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:24 Apr 17, 2021

Aw, this is so sad. I hoped there would be a happy ending, but not all stories have a happy ending, sadly. I couldn't believe it was all a prank! The only thing I saw was this: "When did you learn out to do that?" I ask him, he had always asked me how to do it but had never learned. --> "When did you learn how to do that?" I ask him. He had always asked me how to do it but never learned. This is an amazing, but very sad story. Great job, Vrasti!

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
05:09 Apr 17, 2021

I am so glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, I didn't have any other ideas. I'll make sure to fix that. :) Okay, I fixed it. Tysm

Reply

18:35 Apr 27, 2021

New story out!!!

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
20:45 Apr 27, 2021

Ok, I can't wait to read it!

Reply

16:39 May 03, 2021

Hopefully, I'll get to see more of yours up here soon! I know in your bio you said you weren't posting anymore, but I'd love to see more of them!

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
02:32 May 04, 2021

Yeah, I'm going to post a sci-fi story soon. I've just been really busy with school lately :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moon Fox
23:32 Aug 26, 2021

I love it. (In response to your bio on weird fact. I'm basiclly a kid in a teen body.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
18:20 Apr 29, 2021

When will be your next story?โ˜…~(โ—ก๏นโŠ™โœฟ)โ˜…~(โ— โ€ฟโ—•โœฟ)โ˜…~(โ— โ–ณโ—•โœฟ)โ˜…~(โ— ๏นโŠ™โœฟ)หšโœงโ‚ŠโŽโแท€เบปเฝฝโ‰€หฬฎโ€†โแท€เบปเฝฝโŽโบหณโœงเผš*+:๊’ฐโ—โ€ขแด—โ€ขโ—๊’ฑ:+*โ•ฐ(โœฟยดโŒฃ`โœฟ)โ•ฏโ™ก

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
20:17 Apr 30, 2021

I don't know yet, I'm kind of busy with school. I think in 2 weeks?

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
20:47 Apr 30, 2021

I am busy in studies too I quit writing

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
00:50 May 01, 2021

Why? You can write some short stories. Are you gonna stay on Reedsy?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
20:39 Apr 26, 2021

Bye, Bye, I'll Try Not Cry,,,,yes I wish not a single tear reach your eyes I wish may your eyes be smiling forever ameen God bless you little innocent friend

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
20:43 Apr 26, 2021

Oh my gosh! I don't know what to say, you have made me speechless! Thank you so much! I wish the same for you Bia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
17:09 Apr 24, 2021

Bye, Bye, I'll Try Not Cry nice title is amazing it is wonderfully touching story, Good job

Reply

Riya ๐ŸŒบ
01:19 Apr 25, 2021

Thank you so much! Yeah, it just came to my head so I'm like why not?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.