3 comments

Drama Romance Teens & Young Adult

 Why did it have to be today? I know Colorado’s weather is unpredictable, and it’s January, but things were fine yesterday. A warm 64 degrees with no storm in sight, and today I look at my phone and there it is. WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY snow fall and low visibility in affect until 12 am midnight. Great. And where am I headed now? To the airport to catch a flight I have been planning on taking for months now.

I arrive at Denver International Airport or DIA with plenty of time to get through TSA security, and cram in my lines for my upcoming Broadway audition. I have lived in Colorado my whole life, but always dreamed of the big city. The big apple. The city that never sleeps. Call it what you want, but its where all my dreams are going to come true. If I can get there first. 

I watch the snow fall and silently pray that it stops. One by one planes are getting grounded, one by one flights are being delayed. One by one they are canceling plans and rerouting lives. 

“Attention DIA passengers, due to low visibility and harsh winds, we are grounding all flights. I repeat, all flights are delayed until the storm passes.” An over worked employee announces. Well there it is. I called my mom to see what she thinks I should do and to complain.

“Well, Pearl, I can come pick you up and you can fly out tomorrow. Or you can sit tight and wait for the storm to clear. But if you wait until tomorrow you will miss your audition.”

She was right. I couldn’t miss this chance. So I get ready to hunker down and wait out the storm. I go to the bathroom and change into some sweatpants that I had packed. Then I decide to go to the gift shop and look around. Some novelty sweatshirts, headphones, magazines, and other travel essential line the walls. I go over to the book section and pull down a Nicholas Spark story. I saw the movie so hopefully it will be easy to follow along. On my way back to my corner of carpet I notice someone has taken a liking to my area and spread his things around like he was a dog marking his territory. 

“Excuse me, sir, these are my things here. You can’t just move in.” I say assertively. I try to look bigger than I am and seem tough, when in reality I am probably the most passive person you have ever met. He so much as raises his eyebrows at me and I will probably fold. Hopefully if i get this part, I will grow a backbone and not get taken advantage of by the hustle of New York.

“Sorry, I thought this was left behind. Mind if I just lay over here, my flight was canceled and this corner looks quiet and comfy.” He looks sad. He is handsome though. Tall, muscular, and bright blue eyes that peer into my soul. 

“Yeah, My flight is delayed. We can share the spot, just keep your stuff on that side. My name is Pearl.” I try to sound stern and in control of the situation.

“Thanks, I’m Ryan.” He starts moving his things in a more controlled circle while I arrange my bag to serve as a pillow, and my sweater to act as a blanket. I pull my newly purchased book out and get settled in for my wait. I will admit its nice having company. Even if we aren’t talking, having someone in the same area makes me feel safe. 

“That’s a sad one.” Ryan says.

“What?” I respond 

“The Notebook, that’s one of his sadder novels. Great choice though.” He nods in approval at the book. I am in shock. This young man has just openly admitted to me that not only has he read a Sparksy novel, but liked it too! Well color me impressed.

“Oh, right, ha. I liked the movie so I thought I’d check out the book.” Why am I all of a sudden so nervous? 

“So where are you headed?” He asks.

“New York. I have an audition for a Broadway show. It’s only like the biggest opportunity I’ve ever had and may be my only chance to achieve my dreams. No big deal.” Oh gosh is this how I flirt? Anxious banter? 

“Wow that’s impressive. Are you from Colorado originally?” He asks smoothly ignoring my word babble.

“Yep, born and raised. You?”

" Yep. So you’ve heard the rumors?” He gestures around him pointing to nothing in particular, but somehow at everything at the same time.

“About DIA?” I confirm.

“Yea, you know that there are lizard people. Underground tunnels that hold experimental medical equipment. Military grade safe rooms.” He says in a mocking tone. 

“Ha, yes I know the rumors. And you can’t forget the one about Bluecifer, the giant blue horse outside.” 

“Oh yes! That it killed its creator and now haunts the airport. How could I forget that!” We are both laughing. I really like the sound of his laugh, and he has the most gentle smile. 

“Should we go look around?” He asks smiling. How can I say no. I have only just met this person, but he is so charming that it’s hard to say no. I nod my head and start to get up. He stands quickly and reaches out to grab my hand to assist. We walk in silence for a while. Honestly I am not sure what I am looking for. Ghosts? Lizard people? Other confirmations of ridiculous conspiracy theories? After walking a for a good distance we approach a section of the airport that has a Starbucks on one side and the gates to a light rail on the other. End of the line I guess. But I don’t want it to be. Not yet. He feels familiar, like I'm walking alongside someone I have known for years.

“You want some coffee?” I ask.

“Sure, since we haven’t found any aliens yet.” He laughs.

I lost track of time sitting there with him. Hours went by as we talked, laughed, even cried. How was I falling for someone I had just met? Somehow he now knew all my dreams and nightmares. If I could have lived in that moment I would have died happy and in love with a perfect stranger. He tells me about his parents and that he traveled for work a lot as a software engineer. I told him about my first theater production and how I’ve been hooked ever since. 

" Well should we head back to the corner? Get some rest?” He suggests. Truthfully I didn’t think I could sleep, but laying next to him sounded nice. We stand and he grabs my hand to walk together. I gush with anxiety and happiness. 

“Pearl, do you believe in timing and that everything happens for a reason?” He asks sounding sad again. 

“Like fate? Actually, I do.” I respond. Hoping he is feeling the same way I am.

“Good. I know this sounds a little cheesy, but I really like you. I am very grateful for this night.” 

We reach our spot and curl up next to each other. I feel warm and safe and to my surprise I drift off to sleep. 

“Attention DIA passengers. We will begin boarding flight 329 to San Francisco boarding class A.” The same over worked employee announces, and wake me from my sleep. I see Ryan packing his bag and preparing to leave. He doesn’t notice me looking at him, and pulls out a piece of paper from his pack and begins writing something. He wipes a tear from his eye and places the paper where his head had been. I quickly close my eyes so he thinks I am still sleeping. I am a coward, I cannot say goodbye. If I stay asleep the night would still be here and I wouldn’t have to face the reality that we were just strangers headed to different places, to live different lives. He kisses my forehead and turns to leave without saying goodbye.

“Attention DIA passengers. Good news, the storm has headed south and we are able to start preparing more flights at this time. Please make your way to your gates to check in.”

After a few more minutes, I open my eyes and see that any trace of Ryan had disappeared. All that remained was me, and a note. I raise and wipe a tear from my check as I read. 

“Pearl. Tonight was magic. I am sorry I didn’t say a proper goodbye, but nothing I could say would fully explain how I feel. I am not sure I fully understand myself. I fell in love with you tonight. Is love a conspiracy? A man and a woman meet as strangers against all odds and all obstacles. What if it hadn’t snowed? What if you were sitting by your things when I approached and just kept walking? we could fill a book with the possibilities of ‘What if’. But They fall in love, and live happily ever after. But the truth will always find a way out of the illusions. That the man is already promised to another life. Waiting for me in San Francisco is a woman that I will be marrying in three short months. And for you in New York awaits your dreams. Our futures do not align right now, we met too soon. I believe in timing and I believe everything happens for a reason, so I believe that we will meet again at the right time. You have opened my eyes to my future, and for that I am forever grateful. I love you.”

“Attention now boarding flight 679 to New York.”

I fold the note up and put it in the book that I didn’t read. Another time and another place maybe we will meet again. I wipe the last tear from my eye and grab my things as I head to my gate, to travel to the opposite side of the airport to board my flight. 

February 01, 2023 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Wendy Kaminski
02:18 Feb 07, 2023

This was really cool, Cody! I enjoyed that note - not the ending I was expecting, but a little thrilling with the "some day when..." certainty. Thanks for the enjoyable read, and welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Cody Reed
02:42 Feb 07, 2023

I appreciate that so much! I was feeling very insecure about it being my first try at the contests.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:46 Feb 07, 2023

My pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.