Dark Era - The beginning

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a ghost story where there’s more going on than it first appears.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Thriller Suspense

John walked down the room and removed his shirt off, got into his bath robe and entered the shower room. He turned on the shower and the cold water touched his already cold skin, he got goose bumps. In order to save himself from the cold, he turns on the hot shower line. The water was warm initially, then it got hot, his face showed how he felt uncomfortable, when he felt it was too hot, he tried to turn off the shower, but then he couldn't move. His hand froze, his body stood like a statue, and the hot water got hotter, then hotter, made his skin red, then redder, then swollen and burst, then blood oozed out from his skin, John screamed in pain, but none of his neighbours could hear him on that big flat.

Days after that incident, flat mates noticed a strange smell coming from John's room and called up the local police. They broke in the house and what they saw was John's body on floor swollen and the dead smell made everyone go out of the house. Inspector Merlin, entered the bathroom and touched his skin with gloves. He analysed the cause of death and looked at the shower cap, which was melt due to the heat. They enquired with admin team of that building and they were so sure such malfunction had never occured on that flat, except on that particular day, machine got turned off before John took bath. Things were complicated for the inspector. No clues were able to help the case of John. Merlin's assistant Raju was highly spiritual, he suspected this case has to be some superficial thing and asked Merlin to come with Raju to see a powerful man who can perform dark magic and tell them how this death had happened. Merlin was an atheist and never believed in such things, Merlin convinced Raju to help him if he suspects on anyone at John's flat and give him clues. No one his team believed scared Raju's statement. But Raju had suspected something and walked away in disappointment.

Merlin collected the analysis report from the hospital and turned on his car, it didn't turned on. He tried and tried and tried but the car didn't started, he came out of the car and opened his banet and found no problems. He walked back and opened the driver seat door and gasped when he witnessed a dark lady on driver seat, in a blink it disappeared. Merlin sighed and convinced himself that it must have been some illusion. He sat on driver seat and started to drive the car. After few KM's Merlin looked at the mirror to see a smiling girl face, Merlin frowned his eyebrows and asked who she was, but she kept smiling, Merlin turned to see the smiling women, but what he saw was a dark face which came close to his face, scared Merlin tried to stop his car. But he couldn't, the car was at high speed and several other police cars started to follow Merlin's car for over speeding, scared Merlin tried everything to stop the car but he realised he got stuck and opened his car door, then jumped from the speeding car into a park and rolled down as a dead body.

Raju was informed about the death of Merlin, before Raju arrives his assistant Fiaz had reached the place and he was the first one to see the dead Merlin without any scratch on his body. Raju reached after Merlin's body was moved out from the park. Raju checked the car and it was functioning well and good and the car was even stopped on it's own. several other police officers shared the complaint about how speed Merlin had drove the car. Raju got shocked as he very well knew Merlin is a slow driver, and he never got a ticket in all these years. In fact he always had a driver. Raju called Fiaz to check where was his driver, It was found his driver was fallen sick and had just passed away at the hospital. Raju rubbed his chest and felt goose bumps. Fiaz commented on Raju's reaction, not to react or take this into spiritual way. Raju felt something bad and told Fiaz to be careful at home. Fiaz replied that he will be safe as he always lived alone. Raju felt the goose bump again and warned Fiaz to not to live alone. But Fiaz ignored Raju's plea and walked away.

Raju prayed and went to the nearest temple and got himself a powerful rope to save him from all the darkness. As soon Raju walked out of the temple, he got a call and it was Fiaz, the ambulance that took Merlin's body had met with an accident and the entire people gone in ambulance died on spot, 2 cops, 2 nurse and a driver. Raju held his head tight and sat inside the temple and shivered. Raju closed his eyes and shook his head and constantly repeated to himself, this is not that, that is impossible, this is not the time, there is no possibility for such thing to occur, where and how, is it all co related?

All of a sudden Raju's head worked clearly, Raju called Fiaz and called him to come with him. Fiaz said he wanted to get back to office and report what had just happened on the highway. But Raju insisted Fiaz to come to his place. Raju then took Fiaz to a nearby place and entered a narrow street that was completely covered with blessed dolls. Fiaz was angry and yelled at Raju for his stupidity. Raju gave a hard punch on Fiaz stomach and warned him to come with him. Fiaz followed Raju into the narrow street and welcomed by two strangers thar dressed weirdly with scary piercings. Fiaz scared to see such people asked Raju to stop this nonsense and get back to office. Raju stopped Fiaz to talk and entered a door.

A man in the white was seen, and he was silent in his prayer, when Fiaz stepped in the man in the white suddenly stood up and opened his eyes and ran fast towards Fiaz and used his stick to pull Fiaz's leg and made him fall into a chakra he had in his place and yelled at Fiaz to not to move from that chakra for few minutes. The man in the white had closed his eyes and made some mantras and threw a hand full of kumkum on Fiaz a dark lady screamed out of Fiaz and floated above him and screamed to save, the man in the white shook his head and commented no way, and pulled Fiaz's leg out from Chakra. The dark lady stood inside chakra and saw all of them and disappeared. Raju thanked the man in the white and Fiaz did it too. They both were amazed at the skill of the spiritual man. Fiaz who never believed in such magical thing had witnessed a real magic in front of his eyes that too saving his life, Fiaz shared his heartfelt thanks to the man in the white.

He didn't responded, Raju and Fiaz bowed to bless them both. The man in the white finally spoke "No need to thank me yet, as I can do nothing about it. The beast has been unleashed, some dark power has unleashed itself or by someone, it has got it's full power after it has it's first 5 kills, and no one can stop it. I can only save you both now, but there is no end to it, not I can do"

Raju and Fiaz looked at each other and asked same question to the spirit man "Is there any end?"

He shook his head "Pray and hope that you are not one of them, whoever comes in contact with the dead and whoever sees the dead first will be the chain to continue and there is no end to it, It's a dark era that had just began, get ready to face it"

The End!

October 18, 2020 16:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.