Demons 👿 part 2

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Set your story in a Gothic manor house.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Fantasy Thriller

This story will not make sense if you don't read 'Demons part 1' If you have, or don't care, keep reading.  


JACKSON'S POV:


"What are we doing here?" I ask Arlo.

Chase is still driving, and we pulled up in front of a huge mansion. It looks old, and I don’t think anyone’s been living there. It’s incredibly creepy. The fact that it’s really dark outside is not helping.

Arlo, who’s been sitting in the back with me, says, “We’ve got to get something.”

“What?” I ask.

He shrugs. “I don’t know. Some kind of weapon.”

“You don’t know.” 

“Nope.”

“Of course you don’t.” I mutter, kicking the door open.

We’ve been driving for a week. We stopped at a store, and got some food, supplies, clothes and I changed my hair. Now it’s shorter then before, and dark blue. That was Arlo’s idea. He wouldn’t stop bugging me to dye it, so I did.

We haven’t seen any other angels, but Chase says they’re still following us. I’m not sure they really know where we’re supposed to go. They’ve gotten used to my rudeness, and either ignore it or reply with something else. They keep asking me a bunch of questions about myself, which got annoying after an hour.

We walk to the huge black gates. Chase pushes them open, and we walk through. It’s quiet, other than the crickets bugs.

We walk along the path leading to the huge porch. The grass doesn’t look like it’s been cut for a while. There are a couple of lights scattered around, but are flickering on and off. It looks like it was decorated for halloween, because there are skeletons everywhere, and bats flying around.

“Guys…” Arlo whispers. He’s walking in between us, gripping both of our arms. “This is creepy.”

“Really? What gave it away? The bones or the bats? Or both?” I hiss as we walk up the front porch. It’s got peeling black paint, and more bones.

Chase snorts, and tries the door. “Locked.”

“So?” I ask. 

“Oh yeah.” He nods before ringing the doorbell. 

“Oh my god.” I say, throwing my hands up. 

We can hear the bell echoing through the house. It’s the tune of the song ‘Happy’ which is weird. Nobody answers, and Chase goes to ring the bell again.

“Just break the door.” I tell him.

‘Oh, yeah that makes sense.” He says. He kicks it and the wood crumbles.

We walk over it into the house. We’re in a huge front room, decorated like a vampire lives here. It’s dark, other than the few candles lit.

“Still creepy…” Arlo whispers, still gripping my arm. 

I roll my eyes. “What kind of weapon are we looking for?”

“Weapons.” Arlo says.

I close my eyes. “Fine. What weapons are we looking for?”

“Umm...a dagger and a sword.” He tells us.

Chase nods. “Any idea where they might be?”

 “...No...”

I sigh, and we start walking through the house. The rest of it is just as creepy as the front was. All of the rooms at the bottom are empty. We walk up the tall staircase, and into a long dark hallway. 

“So we search the rooms?” I ask.

“I’m not going by myself!” Arlo says.

“Obviously.” 

We push open the first door. There’s a coffin in the middle of the room. Other than stacks of boxes, there’s nothing else, and I walk over to it. It’s incredibly fancy, and has the name Edward engraved on it in fancy letters.

“Chase, help me move this.” I say.

Arlo shakes his head. “Why would you open it?”

“I want to see what's inside.” I tell him as Chase walks over.

We push the lid off, raising lots of dust. I turn away, coughing. Arlo screams.

“What?” I ask, looking at him.

He’s pale, and he points. I follow his finger.

“Whoa.” I say. 

There’s a man sitting up in the coffin. He’s even paler than Arlo, and incredibly skinny. He’s wearing a black suit that hangs off his thin frame. He’s got a hand around Chase’s neck.

“Let him go!” Arlo yells.

The man sneers. “I don’t think so.”

“Let him go.” I demand.

His head whips to me, and he snarls. Fangs pop out. He lets go of Chase, but lunges at me. I dive out of the way. Is he a vampire? Seriously?

He jumps at me again, this time grabbing my shirt. He pulls me towards him, licking his lips. I kick at his legs, but he drops a knee on my stomach, making it hard to breathe. 

I glance over at Chase and Arlo. Chase is trying to run over to me, but Arlo’s not letting him. I try to hit the vampire, but he punches me.

“Stop moving.” He commands.

I ignore that, and try to hit him again. He snarls again, and goes to bite me, but jerks back.

“Seriously?” He complains.

I stop struggling. “What?”

“I find one mortal in two hundred years, and of course he’s a -”

“Nothing.” Arlo interrupts.

We both look at him. “What’s going on?” I ask.

“Nothing.” Arlo says.

I push the man off of me. “Who are you?” 

“Edward Fern Devon the fifteenth.” He says.

“Okay.” I say, getting up. “Why are you here?”

“Because this is my house.” He tells me.

I blink. “Then why didn’t you answer the door?”

“I was in a coffin, remember?” He snaps. 

 “Why were you in a coffin?” I ask. 

“I was sleeping!”

“In a coffin?” 

“Yeah!”

“Why?”

“Because!” 

“Oh my god.” 

I look back at Chase and Arlo. “What do we do?”

“Keep looking?” Arlo suggests.

“With him.” 

The man laughs. “You can’t do anything with me.”

“Why not?” I ask.

He whistles. After a second, I can hear something in the hallway. Arlo and Chase scramble out of the way as a creature comes bounding in.

“What is that?” I ask, backing away.

The man stands, brushing off his suit. “My...dog.”

“Dogs don’t have wings.” I say.

The creature is blue, with orange spots. It’s got sharp teeth, and huge wings. It has a long tail and sharp claws. It’s the size of a large dog, but definitely isn’t one. 

He nods. “Good point. He’s my dragon.”

“But..dragons don’t exist.” Arlo says.

Edward looks at him. “Then why do I have one?”

“Yeah, but, they all died…” He says.

The dragon growls, and comes towards me. Instead of running, I bend down. That surprises him. I reach out, and scratch behind his ears. He wags his tail, and stops growling.

“What are you doing?” Edward roars. “Eat him!” 

I look up. Chase and Arlo look surprised, and Edward looks mad.

I stand, and the dragon follows me. I walk over to Edward. 

“We’re looking for some weapons.” I tell him.

 His eyes flicker to the coffin. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Sure you don’t.” I say. I walk over to the coffin. 

In the middle, there’s a long, sharp sword. Beside it is a small dagger.

I look at Edward. “Really?”

“Please! Don’t take them! I was supposed to guard them!” He wails.

I pick them up, careful not to cut my hands. “So you slept on them?”

“They’ll kill me!” He protests, trying to take the sword out of my hand.

I back away from him. “You should have hid them better!”

“I thought I did!” He cries.

I sigh. “Listen, we kind of really need these, so we’re going to take them.”

“B-but-”

“Sorry. I’m sure you’ll figure something out.” I say, going to Arlo and Chase. The dragon follows me. 

“No, go back with him.” I say. He doesn’t.

“Take him.” Edward says. “He hates me anyway.”

I shrug. “What’s his name?” 

“Name?”

“Never mind.” I say, walking out the door. “I’m calling you Blaze.” I tell the dragon.

Chase and Arlo jog to catch up.

“Thanks for your help.” I say to them as we walk down the stairs.

Arlo walks beside me. “You didn’t need it.”

“I mean, I could've. He was going to bite me, and you guys just stood there.” 

“Arlo wouldn’t let me!” Chase protests.

I look at Arlo. “What was that about?”

“Nothing…” He says, walking ahead of me.

I grab his arm. “No, tell me. You didn’t seem at all surprised when he couldn’t bite me. Why?”

“Because…” 

“Arlo.” I say.

He sighs. “You aren't totally human.”

“What?”

“You aren’t totally human.” He repeats.

“What?”

“You aren’t-”

“No, I - what do you mean?”

“One of your parents was only part human.”

“How would you know that?” I ask.

He bites his lip. “I think that’s why I ended up at your house.”

“What?”

“I think that’s why-”

“No -why do you think that?”

“Because I think you’re part dragon. For some reason, dragons and demons have some kind of connection.”

“What?” 

“Because I think-”

“Stop doing that. I meant, how am I part dragon?”

“One of your parents is part dragon. So you’re, like, one-fourth dragon.”

“No, I mean, I don’t even look like a dragon.”

“If I didn’t have horns, I wouldn’t look like a demon.” He points out.

I nod. "Okay."

We walk out the front door. There’s a ghost standing there. It really doesn’t surprise me. He has dark, curly brown hair. He grins at me. He looks really familiar, and I gasp when I realize who it is.

“JJ?” I say at the same time as Arlo.

Arlo turns to me. “How do you know him?”

“He’s...my ex boyfriend.” 

“What?”

“How do you know him?” I ask.

“He’s my brother.”


October 16, 2020 19:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Unknown User
14:59 Jan 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kyra Haskin
15:18 Jan 07, 2021

This story is so interesting! Love it! Keep aspiring on what you want to do! *LOVEEE the dialogue and how you turned this into a comedy and horror writing piece! You should make it a novel hehe* :D Good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.