The Meeting of Lord Dragonfly and Lady Clements of Heffingburg

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

1789

Lady Jane Maestro Katherine Gulliford Clements of Heffingburg, England had informed her guards that she was leaving to spend the night with the Highest Dame Fitherford. Captain Loxley, who had been on guard duty at the time, had led her out of the palace with no objection. His only job was to protect the queen at all costs- Lady Clements was merrily a friend of her royal highness, and nothing more.

Lady Clements moved swiftly and soundlessly, with the exception of her high boots hitting the brick road with a loud clank. She had piled her hair on top of her head and hidden it under a tall, feathered hat with a blue veil to hide her identity. The only thing that peasants would turn to look at was her enormous dress, but that was hardly a problem, as the night of England blackened the sky with only the moon and dimly lit lampposts allowing for light.

Lady Clements slowed to a stop outside a shifty looking brick building. A rather tattered old wood sign from the 1600's above the door read ' Serpents Head Inn.' Lady Clements looked around the empty street, making sure no one was watching her, and pushed the door open.

She was greeted by darkness. Overturned tables and scattered glasses littered the floor. Moonshine lay in puddles, and the bar was covered in what looked like rotted wood. Lady Clements was alone with a wheezy bartender, who was polishing a filthy glass with an oily rag.

The man looked up, just noticing her. He raised an eyebrow. "Are you a customer?"

"Hardly." The mans voice was raspy and deep, and Lady Clements knew he already knew the answer to his question. She walked over to the bar, carefully avoiding all the contents strewn across the floor. She leaned into the bar and whispered "Kyle has lost a shoe. I need a place to find one."

The bartender nodded. "Hello, Miss Clements. They're waiting for you."

He pulled a small lever under the bar, and a wall swiveled around to reveal a small spiral staircase. Lady Clements smiled. "Thank you, John..." she paused. "Is..is he there?"

John shook his head. "No. But he'll come. 'E always does, don't he?"

"I suppose."

Lady Clements descended down the staircase, with the wall spinning back into it's place behind her. She finally reached the bottom, where a large oak door was placed. Lady Clements opened the door, and a loud argument went silent.

"Hello, boys."

Lady Clements stepped inside the well-lit room, removing her veiled hat. A long curtain of deep red hair fell to her side, and she smiled. "Long time no see."

In front of her was a small round table with 3 men gathered around it. There was one other chair, evidently the comfiest of them all, that had been left. The chair had been reserved for her.

Lady Clements took a seat and glanced at each man, observing them. One was a plump brunette with messy hair. Judging by his worn clothes and ripped jeans, he was a peasant.

The next man had short red hair and a goatee. He was dressed better than his friends, and had reading glasses perched on the bridge of his crooked nose.

The final man was pale and skinny, with longer black hair and a dress suit. It wasn't the finest attire, but he was the best-dressed male in the room.

The redheaded man addressed Lady Clements first. "And good evening to you as well, Lady Clements," he said, tilting his head in a friendly hello.

Lady Clements managed a smile. "Ah, yes, Nolan. And Fredvick?"

The suited man stood up and gently kissed Lady Clements hand. Fredvick smiled passionately at her. "Halo, my love."

Lady Clements blushed. "Fredvick!" she scolded, though she felt a giggle rush out of her tight lips. She adored his French accent. She pursed her lips again. "Did you get an answer?"

"Yes, mademoiselle. Kirt Florence III of Bulgaria agreed to ze policy. He has sent 'is most trusted advisor, Lampton Hawkeens, to discuss ze matters."

Fredvick nodded towards the plump man, who gave a small wave. Lady Clements eyed Lampton Hawkins clothing in disgust. Lampton noticed.

"Ah, excuse the attire, Lady Clements, but my King insisted that I travel undetected. He had a proper peasant outfit fitted for me the day before my departure."

"Oh, thank heavens," Lady Clements said quickly. She turned to face everyone in the room. "Has he sent any notice?"

"He should be arriving soon," Nolan said. "Be prepared. He is suspicious. Mysterious. That man is dangerous."

"As am I," Lady Clements said stiffly. "I will have to ask you to leave us upon his arrival, gentlemen."

Lampton nodded, bowing his head. "As you wish. my lady."

Lady Clements cleared her throat. "We have important matters to discuss."

* * * *

It was another 30 minutes of tense waiting before the man that Lady Clements was waiting for appeared. It occurred at around midnight, and Fredvick and Nolan were engaged in a heated match of poker, while Lady Clements and Lampton discussed matters involving the Bulgarian king.

"I fold," Nolan muttered as Lady Clements shot Lampton a 'look.'

"Tell him we requested his presence at the next meeting of the Pillar of the Snake Society, and if he refuses to show, then the deal is off," she said, frustrated.

Lampton shook his head. "I will try my best, miss, but my king is one to be-"

Bang.

The door burst open to reveal a tall man. Everyone but Lady Clements jumped in their seats.

The man was nearly 7 feet tall, and wore a cape made of leather and feathers. He had on a sharp, dark yellow suit with a dragonfly pin, and alligator skin belt was tightened around his waist. His shoes were pure leather, and the man wore a large crown made of twigs, leaves, and the occasional insect.

Lampton was the first to be intimidated. He leapt to his feet and ran out of the room, using the excuse 'yousaidtoleavewhenhegothere,soI'mleaving!!"

Fredvick staggered after him, only pausing to blow a kiss to Lady Clements. Nolan at first wasn't sure what to do, but a scowl from the man in the doorway told him to leave.

Finally, the only remaining people in the room were Lady Clements and the strange man. The man slammed the door, still not speaking. Lady Clements gestured towards a seat across from her. "Have a seat."

The man eyed her suspiciously, before slowly taking a seat in the chair she had mentioned. He narrowed his eyes.

"Hello Jane."

His accent was thick and airy- something that seemed like a villain out of a storybook.

Lady Clements pursed her lips. "Ah ah ah. You call me 'Lady Clements'."

"Is zat vat zey are calling you zese days?" The man asked, staring at his finegrnails, which were incredibly dirty.

"Never mind that." Lady Clements said coldly. "Do you wish me to call you anything different?"

The man let out a sigh. "No, zat vill be fine."

"Fine. Lord Dragonfly it is." Lady Clements stopped speaking, waiting for Lord Dragonfly to say something, but he didn't. She pressed on.

"Well then! We all know what brings you to Heffingburg!"

"Yas. I zertainly didn't come for ze food."

Lady Clements glared. "At least this is not some sort of jungle!"

Lord Dragonfly stopped. He stared at Lady Clements. "Never mind. Let us begin what ve came 'ere to do and be done!"

"Fine," Lady Clements pulled out a fat wad of papers from the depths of her handbag. "These are the Queen's plans for the forest. they are going to tear it down and build a summer home."

Lord Dragonfly took his time overlooking the blueprints. He nodded. "I see. And vat vill your secret society be doing to help it? Protest?"

He laughed. Lady Clements curled her lip. "On the contrary, we are hiring someone to demolish the idea entirely. Someone who can get into peoples heads and annoy or charm them at will." she said curtly.

Lord Dragonfly stopped laughing. "Who?"

"That is official business, Lord Dragonfly. I'd rather you not horn in on it, per say."

"I see. Because ze Pillar of ze Snake Society vhereabouts and plans are official business."

Lady Clements stood up, her face red with anger. "I would rather you NOT badmouth the society in which headquarters you are sitting in, MISTER BAILEY!!"

Lord Dragonfly's eyes popped out. "Vat did you call me?"

Lady Clements flushed. "I don't dare repeat it." Her face was getting its normal color back. She took her seat once more. "Would you like to know who we are interested in gaining the queens respect?"

Lord Dragonfly twisted a branch on his large crown. "Do tell."

Lady Clements drew her breath. "You."

August 15, 2020 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

18:22 Aug 15, 2020

This is part one, guys, jsyk. Also, please comment, I love to hear your feedback!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.