6 comments

General

Dale was a police officer that worked at the Hidden Heights Police Department. He was a great guy that was always willing to help anyone that needed it. He always went to work with a smile on his face and he was a strict follower of the rules. One day Dale was responded to a call that was in a dangerous neighborhood. The neighborhood was known for having a lot of shootings. Dale approached the house and knocked on the door. An older woman answered the door and said “He is hiding in the other room. He told me he would shoot me if I said anything. Please help”.

Dale waved for backup to come forward and proceeded into the house. He kept his hand on his gun, just in case the man was violent. When Dale got to where the man was hiding, he said “come out with your hands up, and drop any weapons you have on the ground”. The man did as he was told and Dale approached him slowly. Once Dale was sure it was safe, he took out his handcuffs and handcuffed the man. Then Dale walked him out to the police car. Once the man was secured in the car Dale read him his Miranda Rights.

Dale talked to everyone that was at the scene. He also found out the man was a single father and he had a ten-year-old son at home. He felt terrible that the boy was going to be left without a father. The man was being arrested for murder, so he would most likely be going to jail for a long time. Dale decided to go talk to the boy and see if there was any way he could help. When he arrived at the house, he knocked on the door but no one answered. He looked in the window and could see that the boy was watching cartoons. Dale announced himself so that the boy wouldn’t be scared to open the door. The boy was hesitant but he still opened the door.

The boy said “My dad isn’t here right now. He went to run some errands”.

Dale said “I am actually here to see you. My name is Dale and I work at the police department. We actually arrested your dad today and I heard that you were here alone. I am very sorry buddy”.

The boy said “Thank you for coming by sir. Do you know when I will be able to see him?”

Dale said “Let me call and find out really quick”.

He called the station and they said that he would be able to have visitors at the end of the week.

Dale said “You will be able to go visit him at the end of the week. How about for now, we go get some ice cream and we can get to know each other a little bit”.

The boy said “That would be awesome. Thank you! And my name is Michael”.

Dale said “That is an awesome name”.

Dale let Michael ride in the front seat of the car. They went to the local ice cream shop and got some soft serve cones. After they got the ice cream Michael was telling Dale about his home life.

Michael said “Dad usually leaves me at home during the day while he runs his errands. I don’t usually bother to ask what he is doing because I never know if he is telling the truth or not. My mom died when I was young so it is just the two of us. During the year I go to school but that is about it. I am not allowed to play any sports”.

Dale said “I am sorry about that Michael. It must have been hard growing up without a mother. It seems like you have turned out well though”.

Michael said “Thank you sir. I try my best to keep my grades up in school because I really want to play football when I get older”.

Dale said “That is an amazing goal! Maybe I can help you. I used to play football when I was in school. I could take you to the community center a couple times a week to practice”.

Michael said “That would be awesome, thank you!”

Dale said “Okay, I have to get back to work but I will pick you up tomorrow”.

Michael said “See you tomorrow Mr. Dale”.

Dale finished his shift and went home to his wife. He told her about everything that had happened. She thought that helping Michael was a great idea. Dale also liked the idea. There was no telling what would happen next for Michael so the least Dale could do was distract him with some football.

The next day Dale met Michael at the door with a football. Michael was grinning from ear to ear. They went to a field outside the community center and practiced some throws. Dale was impressed, Michael had some real talent. They moved on from throws to practicing some actual passes. After practicing for a while Dale took Michael home.

Over the next couple of practices Michael was getting increasingly better. On Friday Dale took Michael to visit his dad. They both went through the visitor protocol and Dale talked to one of the other officers while Michael went in to see his dad.

Michael’s dad said “Hey son, how did you get here?”

Michael said “Mr. Dale the police officer brought me. He is really nice dad”.

Michael’s dad said “That is awesome. I am sorry that this is all happening son. I did not mean for this to happen”.

Michael said “It’s okay dad, Mr. Dale is teaching me to play football. Do you think when you get out, I could try out for a football team?”

Michael’s dad said “We will have to see Michael. I might not be getting out for a while. I will do my best to make it happen though”.

Michael said “Thanks dad. I hope you get out soon”.

The officers escorted Michael out of the room. Dale went in to talk to Michael’s dad.

Dale said “Hello Mr. Smith, I just wanted to let you know that I am keeping an eye on Michael for you and he is doing great”.

Mr. Smith said “Thank you for watching over him for me. I am sorry I did all of these things to cause this”.

Dale said “Well that’s behind you now. I wanted to ask you if I could get Michael on one of the local football teams? He is very good at football”.

Mr. Smith said “I would love to let him but unfortunately I do not have the money to pay for it. That is why I haven’t let him play”.

Dale said “What if I pay for him to play. I would love to see Michael tap into his potential”.

Mr. Smith said “If you could pay for him to play. I would have no problem with that. Thank you so much!”

Dale gave Mr. Smith the permission slips to sign and it was official. Dale told Michael the great news and he was extremely excited. Michael was able to start playing right away. Michael did end up going to a foster home but Dale always kept an eye on him. He would go visit Michael and he went to every one of his football games. He would also tag along when Michael wanted to go visit his dad. Dale was glad that he was able to help Michael. For him, it was one of the perks of his job. He was able to help people every day. 

June 29, 2020 23:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Taylor Crosby
18:19 Jul 09, 2020

Nice story about the relationship of Michael and Dale. It's heartwarming. However, I do feel like there could've been more of a conflict. Like it seems everything turned out a bit too nicely. I also would've liked to know more about why the father did what he did, but then again, that's not the focus of the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nandan Prasad
07:52 Jul 06, 2020

Wonderful and heartwarming story! Very well-fleshed out characters, especially Michael. I also enjoyed the relationship between Michael and Dale. Really cute! Also, would you mind checking out my story if it's not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

Erin Rasnick
18:14 Jul 06, 2020

Thank you for reading. I would love to check out your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
07:06 Jun 30, 2020

Everything has been described so well! I would be happy if you check out my new story when free. Have a great day:)

Reply

Erin Rasnick
18:29 Jun 30, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I really appreciate it. I enjoyed reading your story as well.

Reply

Batool Hussain
07:46 Jul 01, 2020

You're welcome! I'm glad that you liked my story:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.