3 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction

*Last bit of chapter 10. Hope ya'll enjoy!*

_____

The four of them rushed about, cleaning up and dousing the fire they’d started. “We have to move away from whatever that thing is,” Rune called to the humans as they strapped their packs on. “But we’ll be going to wrong way if we head away from it. It must be near the base of the mountains.”

Keila swallowed heavily. “What do we do, then? I don’t want to fight some beast after what we went through yesterday.”

The sarsh pursed his lips. “I have an idea, but I don’t know if it’s going to work. You all need to stay here; I’ll find this creature; I’ll fight it as one of its own, which may or may not work depending on how big it is.”

Clint shook his head. “What if it doesn’t work? We’re stuck here, waiting for you to come back? What happens if you don’t come back?”

Rune looked Clint in the eye. “You keep going. Stay here. If I’m not back by nightfall, just keep going towards the mountains. If I’m dead and the creature is still there, just go around the Crown of mountains.” The sarsh morphed into a vayne, startling all the humans. He growled at them, even though they didn’t understand him. The sarsh turned to go, but something stopped him; he turned and looked back at his friends; bounded over, and morphed back to himself.

“Come with me. Maybe we have a better chance together. And...” He shook his head, silently berating himself. Keila cocked her head. “And?” She prompted. The sarsh tangled his dark fingers together, cold metal and warm flesh.

“And..” He whispered. “I-I’m scared.” Keila’s eyes widened slightly, though she tried to hide her surprise. Clint didn’t, though; his mouth fell open, gaping like a dark cave. Rune glanced at the boy, and morphed to look like Clint, his mouth hanging open to match the real Clint. He morphed back to himself, humor evaporated. “Come on,” He said, straightening and squaring his jaw. “We have to go now. I can carry you all there.” The sarsh transformed into a wolf anarii from the planet Tamaska, scaring Keila so badly she screamed and both Clint and his father swore.

Clint shook his head. “That is both creepy and awesome,” He said as he watched the giant creature lower himself to the ground. Rune nodded his spined head towards his back and growled softly. The humans all struggled through his furry black and blue back; when they were properly seated, each holding on to each other and Rune’s thick fur, the sarsh bounded away on four huge paws, spines on this head raised and ready.

______

“Why didn’t we do this before?” Clint shouted, voice muffled through the cloth he’d wrapped around his head to protect his skin from the airborne sand particles. “This is much faster!” He exclaimed. Rune, of course, didn’t reply; but kept straight on his path, drowning out everything but the ever-growing scent of the creature they hunted. Ten miles away, the roaring, screeching, and chuffing of the beast was faint, but audible to Rune’s large, pointed, black ears.

Five miles. Rune was getting tired; fire seared through his limbs and his heart thundered in his ears, making it harder to listen as he bounded through the forest, spewing sand behind him with his powerful back legs.

Two miles. He could practically hear the creature’s breathing now, Rune’s anarii form enhanced his hearing.

Half a mile. The sarsh skidded to a stop, his black and blue sides heaving for breath, his black tongue drooping past his huge teeth, dripping saliva. Keila patted his back. “Need a break?” She asked. “I think we’re nearly there.” Her dark eyes peered up through the trees, reflecting the sky’s red light and the silhouette of the looming mountains, very close now. Rune growled softly, lowering himself into the sand, nudging his head toward the ground. “Oh, are we getting off now?” Keila asked. Rune nodded, and all the humans slid off, landing clumsily in the sand; the sarsh transformed back to himself, doubling over. He wiped the sweat off his face, sweat soaked his sleeveless shirt, too.

“Okay,” He grunted. “Give me a second to catch my breath and then we’ll head out. Our target is half a mile south.” His voice had taken a steely, determined edge. The humans didn’t know it, but this was his way of handling the fear of going into dangerous territory; show no fear or your comrades will be afraid, show no fear and your enemies will be afraid. After a moment, Rune straightened, and his cybernetic arm morphed into the blade, gleaming red in the light from above. Jethro was carrying two long daggers, Clint and Keila carrying their parablades, both with a red haze bordering the razor-sharp edge. They were ready. Rune nodded, noting each of the humans’ squared jaws and shining eyes. They’re used to this kind of thing, Rune noted. Good. We don’t know how much more of this we’re going to be doing.

“Let’s do this.”

Their footprints were barely visible, fading as the sand sprung up beneath their boots, as they moved deeper into the woods, and further from safety.

August 14, 2021 22:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

TJ Squared
04:53 Nov 12, 2021

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wow okay yeah that's a better ending I suppose XDD

Reply

Creed .
15:07 Nov 12, 2021

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thank you! XD

Reply

TJ Squared
15:19 Nov 12, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.