Letters from the Time Traveller's Wife

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Start your story with the arrival of a strange visitor in a small town.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Friendship Historical Fiction

Dear Amelie,

Kian Everett. Yes that's his name. An outlandish boy arrived in our town today. Or was that yesterday? Anyhow, I've seen him here for the first time. Mother told me to shop at the market and I happen to see him go to Mr. Linquist's bookshop, the Book Lore. He would perchance work there. Surely, you would not ruminate him if I just tell you that so I'll delineate how he looks from head to toe that makes him so peculiar.

His hair has flaming ends on each strand going brunette as it reaches the roots. He's looks like a ragamuffin with that but immensely afternoonified and genteel I must say. His face looks mundane with icy blue eyes and a parish pick-axe except, he has this little metal clamp on his lower lip and a rivet on his left eyebrow. I wonder what are those for. I hope he's not a machine. He wears thinner goggles, though. He doesn't wear a puffy sleeved shirt but a shirt with short-sleeves, and wide bottom that is not tucked in the trousers. And his trousers are slightly torn, stiff, tinged with blue and both are folded at the bottom. Lastly, he doesn't wear boots but shoes that he calls sneakers. Donophria told me about that last detail.

I'll try to be advertent on him.

Yours,

Henriette

***

Dear Henriette,

Sister, if he's a good man, no matter how outlandish he can get, he will not shoot into the brown. And will not be a skilamalink. Hopefully, he's not a whooperup.

Just you wait and see, he'll show his true colors through his goggles and iron works.

Yours,

Amelie

***

Dear Amelie,

I befriended Mr. Everett. But I'm still wary of him. He's very steadfast and assiduous. He told me he's a time traveller from the year 2021. And he's Mr. Linquist's kin. That explains the same face which looked like they got the morbs even if a situation could make a stuffed bird laugh. He went here to learn more about his old man and escape that future he's in. He even brought a 'smartphone' with him. It's like an iron box or so I think of the material but flat and has some lenses in it but tiny. And it can play sounds too like the phonograph being played at Monroe's Salon. Oh, how wonderful their songs are!

I hope I can make you meet him someday.

Yours,

Henriette

***

Dear sister, Henriette,

You seem to be enjoying his company but isn't time travelling illegal? What if someone catches him for that and jails him for life? I know that is painful but we don't know that man enough to trust him. I just hope he's not what I think he is.

Yours,

Amelie

***

Dear Sister,

I got the morbs. I'm not up to dick on anything. Sister, he has been jailed by the cops. Now I don't know if I'll ever see him again. I hope he'll be okay.

Yours,

Henriette

***

Dear Henriette,

Sister, please don't be sullen. None of us wants that but if he doesn't get back to his own timeline, he will forever scar history. And he can't change what has already been written. We are of his past as he says so and if he changes that, there will be more trouble. He may even double himself if that happens.

Imagine you or me going to our past, we will change history. It's not bad to change that but a lot of things will be at stake. You and I would probably not be born at all. You see, with great knowledge and power comes an even greater responsibility.

Henriette, just be brave whatever happens.

Yours, 

Amelie

***

Dear Amelie,

He sneaked in my window last night. We talked secretly and Kian told me to come with him in the future. But I'm hesitant about it after what you told me last week. We have a different timeline. We may get along with each other but we still have a lot to learn about ourselves. And if one of us disrupts the timeline of another, chaos will occur.

It may be morose for both of us but it's for the best and what's fit for us, right?

Yours,

Henriette

***

Dear Henriette,

Yes, sister. You are in the right mind. No matter how you like his company, better be acquainted of him first before giving your hand to him. We know how men can be.

Be good with Mother and Father. Take good care of yourself too.

Yours,

Amelie

***

Dear Amelie,

He bid goodbye to me leaving in my room to get back to his timeline. He left me a picture of him and a note. He enjoyed my company too but he knows his limits. He must have been a lonely adolescent because he tried to get here just to understand his past. He was the kindest boy I have met. And I will treasure him just like how he treasures me. I gave him a glove I knitted these past few months. I embroidered my name on it to make him remember me. I just hope he'll be happy where he is now. I don't want to remember him as the sullen outlandish lad we speculated during his first visit. I want to remember him as the lad who became my first friend in this world. I will miss him dearly, Sister.

Yours,

Henriette

***

Dear Henriette,

Friends are precious beings that will be treasured forever even if they are apart. Sister, please smile for me when you read this letter. I may or may not be present but you'll always have me in your heart. Don't tell Mother and Father about this but I have eloped with my lover, Oswald. I have to bear a babe soon, too. Once I already have vacant times to write, I will and tell you of how he or she is.

Yours,

Amelie

P.S. He seems to be a time traveller, too but to the future.

May 29, 2021 14:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Drei Etsocal
06:18 May 31, 2021

Thank you for the likes for those who did. It's a very noob story though. I apologize for errors and stuff too.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.