The Folio Assignment

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: It's about a photographer, who is a rookie.... view prompt

0 comments

General

I was sitting at a desk in the library across from Sky. She was doing homework, and I was reading a book but I’d been staring and the same page for at least 5 minutes. 

“So Avery, what do you think about this photo?” she asked, “Your the one that’s good at photography.”

“Why are you even doing that homework It’s the holidays?” I asked. “They never check, anyway.”

“I really want to do well,” she responded and looked back at her laptop pouting and I laughed.

 

Sky was such a nerd, but you wouldn’t be able to tell behind her crystal blue eyes, tan skin and long blond hair But, then again, no one knew her as well as I did. We had been best friends since the age of three, and that made my heart sing. Because even though all the girls at school wanted to be her friend and all the boys wanted to date her she still chose me.

 ***

The holidays were over in a blink and sure enough; I was getting off the bus and walking into the gates with Sky by my side. 

“Avery, are you excited for year 9?” she asked sarcastically.

“Nope,” I replied laughing but still wishing it was still the holidays.

 

I wanted to be at the beach or the train station with Sky taking photos for my album. That’s what I was excited about this year, that I could finally have photography as a subject. I had gotten a new camera over the holidays and had been saving up for it all year and finally; I got it.



The last session I had that day was double photography. As I entered the room, it was full of mainly year tens, but there were a few year nines I knew. I sat next to the window so I could watch the tree swish in the wind and the birds crow their never-ending call. 

 

No one sat next to me, leaving a free seat by my side. It’s not like I didn’t expect it. Who would want to be friends with me; I was the person who didn’t talk to anyone and had no friends. Except for Sky. She was the most popular girl in our year, and I was the least popular girl in our year. While everyone loved her, I just hid in her shadow. She tried to include me as much as she could, but I always rejected it. Maybe there is a reason Sky is my only friend.

 

“Now class, as some of you will know, I am Mr Freeman and I will be your photography teacher for the year. We will start off with a photo album assignment to I can see where you are all up to. Partner-” but Mr Freeman was interrupted as a tall boy with broad swimmer’s shoulders and a buzz-cut pushed through the door and into the room.

“Sorry I um…” he looked at everyone in the room and then back at the teacher and gave a sheepish smile. “I’m new here……. I got lost,” and to avoid standing up in front of everyone he jumped into the seat next to mine.

“Ok,” Mr Freeman said, looking confused and went through his paperwork. “Lucas, am I correct? If you are late again, it will be a detention.” Lucas looked tired as he turned to me and gave a grimacing face before turning back to the front of the room. 

 

Great. It’s the first day and I already have an assignment I thought, and it’s in partners. Most people love when we have group assignments because they can go with their friends, but I don’t because I end up doing most of the work. Everyone turned to the person next to them and started planning ideas for a photo album and I just sat there. But for once I wasn’t the last person in a group. Lucas tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around. 

“Do you wanna be partners?” he asked looking hopeful. I couldn’t say no because he was probably the only person who wanted to be with me so I replied “um... sure,” and turned back around.

 

“Should we start by showing each other some of our photos?” Lucas asked. 

“Ok,” I answered nervously. Sure I liked my pictures but would he? We both turned to our laptops, and I began searching for my best photos and putting them in a file.

 

About three minutes later, we showed each other our photos. Maybe he could tell I was anxious because he volunteered to show his first. His photos were stunning. There was a closeup of a cow's face with rolling hills in the background and one of a wilting flower in a black and white filter. Timidly, I showed him my file. The first one was Sky at the beach laughing, her hair in beautiful beach waves with a sunset and a wave breaking in the back. As I turned my screen around and showed him he buffed air out of his mouth with his hands around the back of his head.

“Wow,” he paused for a second and flicked through my other photos. “These are all great. Have you ever considered getting a job in photography?” I looked at my feet happily.

“No why? Do you think I could be good at it?” I asked.

“Absolutely! I work as a photographer I’ll take you to my work some time and you could become an apprentice. Nothing full time, just on the side.” he said.

“Of course” I replied without hesitation. “That would be great!”

 ***

That night, Sky and I were both sitting on my baby blue blanket eating juice and chips while I told her what happened.

“Really?!” Sky said bubbling with excitement. “That’s great!”

“Yeah, it is,” I agreed, trying not to smile.

“This will be a great start for you to get out of your shell and show the world what you made of!” she replied boldly. “But what about this boy who offered you the spot, Luke-”

“Lucas,” I replied.

“Yes, yes Lucas. What do you think about him,” she said eyes wide

“He’s all right,” I answered, “but he’s just a friend and will be nothing more,” and I wasn’t lying. I wasn’t that kind of person who obsessed about boys or even noticed them that much. Unlike Sky, who always seemed to be in a relationship. 

“Let’s go down to the train station. You always take cool photos there. I’m sure they will impress Lucas!” Sky replied and jumped off my bed with me following close behind.

*** 

The next time I saw Lucas I showed him the photos we took and Sky was right; they did impress him. “These are even better than the last ones,” he exclaimed, “Well done,” and he patted me on the back and his hand lingered a second too long. It looked like he was about to say something but we were interrupted. 

“Wow, wow, wow. Hold up guys, no PDA while I’m trying to eat. You two just do it so bad, I’m gonna gag. Yeah, we all know you’re trying to get in,” it was Alex, one of Sky’s friends. Everyone knew him as the jock, the ‘tough guy’ but to be honest, no one liked him. He chucked Lucas bag on the ground and bumped my hip as he walked away.

“Uh sorry, I have to go. Your photos were great. Meet me by the camera shop down the main street tonight at 5 and I’ll get you that job,” Lucas said, picking up his stuff and walking away.

 

I spent the rest of the day counting down the seconds until the bell went. Just like Lucas said, I met him by the camera shop.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey,” I replied, and we stood there for a second and then I followed him inside.

“Just wait outside here I’ll talk to my boss. Get your photos ready to show him.” and he went past a ‘staff only’ sign. I couldn’t hear much of the conversation, a few 'yeses’ but that was pretty much it.

 

Lucas came out with a middle-aged man in a light blue shirt that gave a warm smile while shaking my hand.

“Hi, I’m Craige,” he said, “Lucas tells me you are interested in photography?” he had dark hair that was turning silver at the sides and looked like he forgot to shave that morning.

“Yeah, hi that would be me,” I replied. “I’m Avery. Could I show you a few of my photos?” I asked nervously. Craige nodded, and I opened a folio with my best pictures on them. He took it and flipped through the pages and Lucas winked at me. My stomach flipped. What just happened, I thought, boys don’t make my stomach flip, and I looked away to avoid eye contact. 

 

Craige gave me back my folio.

“That was great. A few things could improve, but it was good. We are always on the lookout for young, local photographers to sell their photos in the shop. What do you think?” he said, showing off his friendly smile again. 

“Yeah, I would love that,” I replied happily.

“Good, good. We will have to figure out a few bits of paperwork, but you can start soon. Maybe just behind the desk while we fix up a few things and then we can sell your photos here.”

“Great,” I answered grinning from ear to ear.

 

The next day Sky wanted to know every single detail about what happened last night. But there was one thing I hadn’t told her. One thing I wouldn’t even tell myself. That I liked Lucas. Come on Avery, you are the person who never talks and likes reading and photography. You aren’t like Sky and you are a boy magnet, snap out of it.

*** 

A month later she was settled in with her new job and Craige insisted on calling her ‘rookie’ instead of Avery but when he said it, he made it sound like the biggest compliment he could give. I was working behind the desk and some of my best photos were for sale. Craige had given me tips on photo-taking, which was making my photography folio with Lucas even better. I didn’t know how to feel about Lucas. I would convince myself I didn’t like him and then he would give a smile or a compliment and all the feeling would come rushing back. But there was one thing that bothered her. Alex wouldn’t leave them alone and was constantly throwing my stuff and Lucas’s stuff around. Worse, when I tried to tell Sky about it she would brush it off or defend him. She was always friends with his group but I also knew she would always choose me over them, but now I wasn’t so sure.

 

I was sitting by the lake taking photos for the folio with Lucas. Sky was also there with her other friends. The water was shimmering in the sun. Like diamonds, stuck in a deep bottomless body of water. Each gemstone struggling to fight the strong pull down and reach the surface. The lake gave a small smile with the shallow but constant waves. Once in a while, a kayak will go past turning the smile into a large rumbling laugh that stirs up the whole water. But the laughter fades and within seconds you can’t even tell what once was there as the diamond reappear and the laugh slows to its small smile. I loved the photos and the setting, but it was over quickly.

“Hey, Avery?” Lucas asked softly.

“Yeah,” I replied, and he held my arm

“So what are you doing next-”

“Yo guys, what have I told you about this?” Alex said in his joking-but-not-funny voice. We both looked up but Lucas didn’t let go of my arm and I could feel myself blushing. Alex looked at Lucas’s hand and then in his eyes as if he was daring him to hold on. Lucas didn’t let go. Then Alex rammed into him, sending Lucas flying into the lake. Sky’s friends laughed while I helped him out of the water. Saying nothing, he walked off. 

“Looks like he has anger issues!” Alex remarked, and I turned to Sky for backup. She sheepishly shrugged and turned away starting to laugh. She had chosen them over me.

 

That night she texted me non-stop apologising and trying to explain. But I didn’t care. I already knew what happened. Alex pushed Lucas into the lake. Sky’s friends laughed. Sky laughed too. I didn’t care. The damage was done and it would take a lot to heal this wound.

 ***

Over the next few days, I hung out with Lucas more than Sky. Sky and I weren’t talking anymore, and that left a lot of free time that I filled by walking with Lucas and finishing the folio. We were both sitting at a table facing each other editing some shots.

“Have you been to the new photography museum?” Lucas asked me.

“No, but I’ve heard it is fantastic,” I answered, not looking up from my laptop.

“I can take you if you want. Maybe this weekend if you’re free,” what. Lucas wants to take me to the photo museum.

“Yeah, sounds good,” I replied, trying my hardest to cover up the nervousness in my voice and wished more than anything that I could tell Sky about it.

 

It was a date. He picked me up in the morning and we drove out to the museum. We didn’t say much on the drive up or when looking at the photos. It was mainly halfway through when we were in the cafe. 

“Yeah and that one with the penguin. That was great!” Lucas said, and I was about to respond when his face went white; it looked like he had seen a ghost. I turned around to see what he was looking at, but there were so many people I couldn’t tell. Then a girl came up from the crowd and slung her arms around his neck and planted a kiss on his cheek. She was wearing trendy clothes and had soft honey-coloured hair. They both whispered softly to each other before walking away and I chased after Lucas.

 

As I walked after him, I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Did I get the wrong idea about this?

“Don’t worry about her,” he said, turning around. “I’ve known Grace since I was three. She’s like my sister.” his eyes looked at the top right corner of the room and his nose twitched. Lie. 

 

After looking at a few more photos, we headed off.

“I had a great time today,” he said, smiling.

“Yeah me too,” I replied looking into his eyes. He leaned in and kissed me softly and I could taste the minty-chocolate in his mouth. Just for a second, I kissed him back. 

 

I awkwardly got out of the car and raced into my bedroom. This isn’t me, I thought, I’m the one that hides in Sky’s shadow and takes photos but is too anxious to show them to anybody. I’m not the person who goes on dates and kisses other people's boyfriends. 

 

I did not understand what to do or what to think, and the only person who would get it and know what to do wasn’t even talking to me. I just wanted her to come over and help me so I tried to get her.

 

Hey are u free right now I need some Sky 

Help. i didnt realise how much i need u until i 

Lost you. Please???? 

Yeah, sure i’ve missed u so much. Sorry 

about everything. What is it that u need  

my help with?

I tell u when u come over. 

Bahaha 

 

Having Sky sit on my bed with me again made everything feel normal again.

“So what is this very important thing that you have to tell me?” Sky asked as soon as we sat down.

“Well…” I replied and then told her about everything with Lucas and the museum and the Grace girl. Sky’s face filled with a mixture of amazement, shock and confusion.

“Um hello, I wanna talk to Avery. You know the one that has never kissed anyone and, in fact, barely even talks. Where is she,” 

“Im, honestly, not sure,” I replied, and it was true. This was a side of myself that I never knew existed.

“Well, do you like him or not?” she asked in her baby voice.

“Ummm….” Before I would have said yes but now that something between us had happened and I saw him with that Grace girl everything I felt for him drained away. “To be honest, I used to but not anymore,” I answered.

*** 

It was the 21st of November. The day our assignment was due. Since everything that had happened, Lucas, and I hadn’t really talked that much, but we had finished our project and the with Craig’s help all the photos were impeccable. I just hopped Mr Freeman agreed with me.

 

Finally, after a month of waiting, the results were back for the assignment. Lucas and I exchanged worried looks before checking. And there on the front was a big, gleaming red A+. I was so happy and wore a smile for the rest of the day. Even after school when I saw Lucas and Grace holding hands and walking together. I didn’t go back to the old me. Now I was out of my shell making choices to live my life to the fullest. And I wasn’t turning into someone else. I was still me, I just make the most out of every happy moment. Something I never would have done if it wasn’t the folio assignment.

November 08, 2019 07:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.