The Wonders of Love

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a summer afternoon spent in a treehouse.... view prompt

1 comment

General

I tilted my mirror and looked right into his eyes. Wyatt Roud, at least I think that is his name. My mom's new best friend's son. I have never met him, I only have a printed picture behind my mirror that I found online. 

"What are you doing!" Startled, I almost punched him, my brother, Daniel.

"What the heck! You're supposed to knock! I could've been naked! Your ten years old, you need to follow the rules!" He ran out of my room and glared back at me.

The next thing I heard was mom yelling, "Jocelyn Gracewood! Get your butt down here young lady!" I rushed downstairs as fast as I could. "You have no right to boss your brother around or talk like that. You are not in charge here, I am! And you missy are going to have consequences!"

Great. That little butthead ratted me out again! Mom always gives me the most unfair punishments! I hurried back up to my room and made sure my feet pounded on the stairs so mom could here them.

"Why can't I do anything right around here! I just don't understand." I curled up in my bean bag and cried. It felt stupid to me, that I, a fourteen-year-old, was crying just because my mom yelled at me.

I heard footsteps nearing. I wiped off my tears and knew that the time had come, punishment time. "Jocelyn! Are you in here?" My mom knocked on my door.

"Yes, mom!" She walked in, sat on my bed, and looked at me for a second. Then she stood up and grabbed my phone, tablet, laptop, and my smartwatch. "You forgot the T.V remote." She smiled, picked it up, left a note on my desk, and went out of my room. “Ah, you going the silent note route!” I murmured to myself as I picked up the note. 

Dear Jocelyn, 

You were out of line to speak to your brother like that. As we all know, he just wanted to play with you. I know that you want him to knock, but you have to realize, Daniel is very hyper and doesn’t like to take direction from you. So if you let me handle him, things will go a lot smoother. As for your consequence, you won’t get a single device to fill your time with. Instead, you will do five extra chores. And because this has been a problem in the past, I thought, why not give you a little bit more things to do! You are going to babysit! It’s a three-year-old boy, his name is Joseph, and he’s a handful, which is why you will be doing a team effort with his older brother. You need to be ready to go by 3:30. And meet them at the park, (It’s a 15-minute walk and you aren’t getting a ride from anyone! Understand?) Hurry up! 

Love, 

Mom

“Whyyyyy!” I moaned. “It’s already three! I only have fifteen minutes!” I threw on some cute makeup, yoga pants, a sporty crop top, and some tennis shoes. “Okay, that didn’t long. I still have five minutes!” I went downstairs and of course, Daniel gave me a sly smile. 

“Joc! If you’re ready, start walking!” My mom yelled from the kitchen. “And here are some chips and other snacks. You’re going to be there for a while!” I dashed to the kitchen then out the front door. I did not want to be late, as I know that would tick mom off. 

“Okay, fifteenth avenue and 2nd street should be right around this corner!” I stopped to catch a breath and looked up, amazed. There was the most beautiful and eyecatching treehouse. Built out of rustic beach wood, and decorated with ocean-themed decor. 

“Hey!” I looked ahead, “You’re the girl that’s going to help me with this little rascal?” My heart skipped a beat, it was Wyatt Roud! I couldn’t breathe. 

“Um, yeah, hi!” Wow, awkward. I thought to myself. He stepped closer to me and examined me. It was almost embarrassing, so I broke the silence. “Where is your brother?” He pointed up at the treehouse and smiled. 

“You like about my age, fourteen?” Wyatt asked. I nodded, “Okay, you’re in 8th grade? And do you go to CGJH?” He motioned to climb up the ladder. 

“Yeah, how did you know?” He stopped but didn’t answer. “Wyatt! How do you know?” He pulled me up the ladder and tried to kiss me! “Um, no. Not yet, I don’t even know you that well.” 

“Well, you know my name I guess. But okay anyways, I’m Wyatt Roud, I recently moved from California to Washington, I’m 14 years old, and I got braces last October. Okay, your turn.”

 Omg, that smile. Can I just fall into his arms now? I thought. “Oh, yeah right. Me. I’m Jocelyn Gracewood, I also have braces, and I have lived in-” He interrupted me. 

“Daughter of Oliva Gracewood? That is my mom’s best friend!” It was so cute that he was just now realizing that. He pulled me in close once again, but instead of going for a kiss, he whispered, “You are one special girl Jocelyn. I hope we can hang out together more.” I didn’t want to move, his heartbeat against mine, breath down my neck, and knowing that I had just fallen in love, it was too much, but I still didn’t move, and neither did he. 

“Wy Wy! Where are you?” I think that was Joseph. Wyatt quickly lifted his weight off of me and went down the ladder. 

“Hey, bud! Come here!” The words rolled so gently off his tongue. “Bubba! Come on, let’s go play!” The kid came running at the word, play. “Good boy!” Wyatt reached his hand out and Joseph grabbed it. “What do you want to do buddy?”

“Play family! And house!” Joseph ugged Wyatt’s sweatshirt and said, “Let’s go!” They rushed up the ladder and once on the top step our eyes connected again. The treehouse seemed to have a weird effect on us. 

And without thinking, I said, “Let’s play wedding.” Wyatt smiled, and we quickly got to work. We found a white dress and a black suit. In the trunk in the treehouse. “Perfect.” I softly said.

Wyatt turned on ‘Here Comes The Bride’ and I walked across the treehouse. Joseph then, “Do you, Wyatt, take Jocelyn to be your wife?”

“I do,” Wyatt whispered.

“And Jocelyn? Do you take Wyatt to be your husband?”

“I do.” I smiled at Wyatt. I was so scared, but something was stopping me from turning back. 

“You may now kiss!” Joseph said excitedly. Then it happened, his lips landed on mine light as a feather. He was feeling every curve of my body and held me close. Then we were done as if a gust of wind came through and pushed us away from each other. 

Joseph was laughing, and that is when I realized that our braces had hooked together. “Wow. That was beautiful!” Joseph said still giggling. 

“We need to get help.” Wyatt pulled his phone out and texted his mom; We need your help! Can you come to the treehouse? Have Oliva come to! It’s an emergency. 

I couldn’t talk, so I gave a thumbs up instead. Within minutes, our moms were up in the treehouse. 

“Oh my god! How did this happen?” My mom screamed frantically. Wyatt’s mom laughed. 

“Is it that hard Olivia? They are in wedding outfits! They probably had a fake wedding, kissed and their braces got hooked together!” She died laughing! “Let me see if I can get them unhooked.” She tried and tried, but nothing was happening except pain. 

“Should we take them to the doctor?” My mom asked, but I think she realized that “Wait, they can’t get down!” 

“Stay calm Oliva, let’s call the fire department, and have them take the kids down and to the doctor.” Wyatt’s mom dialed 911 and told them what happened. They came right away, but of course, they too were laughing. 

When we arrived at the doctor’s they told us to see a dentist. So we went to the dentist, they told us to see an orthodontist. They finally unhooked our braces. “Oh my gosh! I’m so glad that is over!” I sighed in relief. 

Wyatt looked at me and said “Jocelyn? Will you be my girlfriend?” Our moms got all cutesy.

“Yes! A million times yes!” And that was it, we kissed without getting our braces hooked, and little did we know that in our future, we were going to really be husband and wife! 

July 16, 2020 19:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Julia Boddie
18:39 Oct 20, 2020

A great story! I was very entertained!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.