2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Drama Fiction

I am going to tell you the story of how my father reacted the day I told him I didn't want to follow in his footsteps. See, my grandfather was a surgeon and then my father became a surgeon and now I'm expected to become the same thing. Its amazing the amount lives they save and the money they make but that was not something for me. Ever since my fifteenth birthday, I have been taking theater and show choirs classes in school. It was my dream to be a music theater performer. I can imagine it now. Being on the stage, acting, singing, and making people smile. Now that I am seventeen years and with college approaching closer, it was time for me to tell my father what I really want for my future.

Ok , here you go. My story that took me months to create, finalize and be ready to submit to the online contest. The story that will start now. Ok, now. Wait! Maybe this story will be great and even win the contest. Or maybe you guys are better off not reading it. It might be terrible and not even get any likes. People might not even know it exists which is worse and even making my head spin in circles. You know what, just forget everything I said previous and just read the story. Everyone has a different opinion. . Some good and some not so good. I just hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.

Anyway, my name is Simon and for me, I wanted to become a musical performer. I never really told my parents that. Instead, I just smiled and nodded in agreement when they talked about school and my future. Today was finally the day I told my parents everything.

    ''Father'' I said at the kitchen table during dinner that night.

    '' What is it son?'' he asked

    '' I think I am ready to talk about my future now since I'm seventeen.'' He put his fork down and looked directly at me.

'' We already decided you are to become a surgeon like your grandfather and I. I can help you in paying for medical school. I have already chosen a few good ones you may have interest in.''

    ''That's the thing father. Medical schooling is not for me. I want to become a musical performer. I want to be known around the world for making people smile.'' I saw my brothers face light up and his head sake back and forth. My mother did not even dare to look me directly in the eyes. Instead, she continued eating her pasta in silence.

    '' Since when did you decide this son?''

    '' Since I tuned fifteen father. My teachers and classmates has been telling me how amazing I am.''

    '' You may been an amazing actor and performer, but have you really though this through. I mean I don't see this going long term. Now being a surgeon, that I …''

''Father, I hear you but I already made up my mind. I have even applied to two music schools already.''

''How dare you! I..I..'' he yelled pounding his fist on the small wooden table. A moment of silence passed before we got up from the table and put the dishes in the sink. My parents went to their bedroom and my brother and I sat down on the sofa. I could overhear my parents’ conversation. ''Music school!'' I just can not believe this.''

   '' I am proud of him Richard. He is growing up becoming a surgeon is not everything.''

''Being a surgeon is all my father ever dreamed for me. He paid for all my medical schooling and even took me on a cruise the day I graduated to celebrate how happy he was for me. If he was still alive, he would want our son to become a surgeon and succeed in life.''

'' He will succeed honey. I just know it'' I heard my mother say just before they left their room and sat on the couch besides my brother and me.

''Listen son'' my father said holding my hands. ''If you trust me and respect me you will do the right thing and apply to medical school instead. Forget music school and live the live I know you can.''

'' I will not live the life you expect of me father'' I said pulling my hands away from his. I saw his smile turn into a frown and disappoint was the word written all over his face. I don't understand why it was so hard for my father to accept this and move on. I thought he would be proud of me but I guess not. My brother patted me on the back and smiled.

'' Let him do what he wants father. Just give him a chance and he might surprise you in ways you cant even imagine.''

'' Excuse me Willard but I know whats best. You care about your brother Simon and that's great but deep inside you know I'm right.''

'' Honey just here him out'' my mother said giving me a hug.

'' Ok sweetheart.''

'' I know that is a lot for you to take in but after I get accepted into music school, I will work get job, get my own apartment nd even pay for the school so you don't have to.''

'' You don't have to pay for it all on your own son.''

'' I know but I will do wat every it takes to prove to you that this career will work out for me.''

'' I do not approve of this but I will accept it. You have my support for now. Show me the schools you applied for tomorrow morning and might even buy you that new laptop you wanted. For school purposes only.'' The next morning we ate breakfast and I showed my father the schools I chose. It just proves I can persuade even the toughest people to go on my side.

June 22, 2022 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ren B
04:19 Jun 30, 2022

It was uplifting to read that the father would finally support the son. If you ever want to revisit this story, I would suggest developing a little bit more the transformation arc of the father. I feel he gaves up too easily, doesn't strike me as one of the "toughest people", I would try to build a little bit more tension before he finally gives in. Also, I would like to know more about the setting, I think it'd make the story richer. Details such as where does it happen? when did it happen? what is the historical context/socioeconomic cont...

Reply

Jazmine Abuzaid
15:23 Jun 30, 2022

Thank you for reading the story. Your right about adding more details about the setting and building more tension. I will try to consider those things in my other stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.