18 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

*note, this is Arielys's backstory and just the intro, I'll get started on all you others soon!*

_____________

Sulien, Lighterdome.

Project Ignite, day one.

Maximoff, Arielys. Female. Age: 16. Threat level: 0.

Retrieving patient one in seven hours...

Update: May prove slightly more difficult than we first concluded. Patient one had a recent incident and is in the human care facility. Extraction will be tedious. No matter, continuing with original plans.

________________

“... you ready?” Arielys’s father smiled at his daughter. Arielys smiled back. “More than ready.”

In her hand, she held a brand new driver’s license. Arielys was about to go on her fist solo drive. It was scary, but she beamed widely. Her hazel eyes sparkled and her short brown hair shone red in the sun.

She stood in the front door, her parents and twin brothers, Lucas and Loki, all watched her as she turned and walked to her car, red and hold and shining in the overhead sun. “I’ll be back this evening!” she called over her shoulder. Her family waved as she climbed into the car and pulled out from the driveway.

Arielys and her family loved Marvel, they all were complete Marvel geeks.


The sixteen-year-old girl’s clothes always had something to do with Marvel; on that special day, she wore her favorite t-shirt with Iron man’s helmet on it and her dark jeans with the iconic red star on the pockets. She had worn the knees out from wearing them so long. Her tie-dye Jordans pressed against the gas pedal. She had been waiting so long for this.

Arielys’s little car sped down the road, a newborn ant among elephants. Her smile was so wide, happy tears blurred her vision. She shook her head. That was dangerous.

Her car ground to a stop in the parking lot of the local grocery store. She skipped inside, barely able to contain her excitement. She was on her own, she could do what she wanted.

Arielys stopped by the flowers, smiling at the dark roses. She scooped a bundle out and went on her way.

She climbed back in her car, hand full of groceries.

Her crept from the parking lot. There was a van to her left, careening down the road at an illegal speed. Arielys didn’t see it as she fiddled with the bundle of roses, trying to retrieve one.

The van grew closer; she saw it in the corner of her eye and slammed the brakes, stopping her directly in the way of it.

Her eyes stretched wide. Not on her first day.

They collided.

Arielys’s head struck the side airbag, saving her from cracking her head open. Her body was flung forward, her knee struck the steering wheel and a wave of pain swept through her leg. Her arm hit something, she couldn’t tell what. Her surroundings were too chaotic. Faintly, she could hear her own voice, screaming. Vaguely, tears streamed down her face. Pure terror coursed through her.

Her car was rolling.

Tumbling.

Smashing.

Then it stopped.

Flames licked around her.

The seatbelt choked her. She was completely frozen, keening softly in shock. Her eyes went black. The oblivion welcomed her into its dark arms and she knew no more.

It was only a few moments before oblivion released her back into the world.

There was chaos.

Sirens.

Heat.

Pain.

Blurred objects.

Arielys couldn’t tell what was what.

She heard an odd noise to her right.

Buzzing.

Then, hands.

They lifted her.

She cried out, still only half conscious.

She heard voices, raised and urgent.

Then, darkness overtook Arielys once more.

White.

Bright.

Arielys’s hazel eyes fluttered open. There was a constant beeping that grated on her ears and drilled into her pounding brain.

Footsteps neared. A face came into view, not one Arielys recognized.

The face, a woman, was not smiling. Her eyes were crinkled and her face pulled with worry. “Can you tell me your name?” She asked in a soft voice.

Arielys’s brow furrowed. “Arielys Maximoff.” she whispered, her voice rough.

The woman smiled. “Okay, Arielys. Are you up for seeing your family?”

The teen licked her lips and gave a small nod.


“... were so afraid for you when we got the call. How are you feeling?”

Arielys’s parents sat close by, her brothers were more well behaved than she’d ever seen them.

Her mother cried, fear and worry contorted her father’s face.

Arielys felt tears slip down her own face. Her eyes were heavy, her leg throbbed horribly. “tired.” she muttered, feeling herself slipping into slumber. Her parents nodded understanding.

“we’ll come see you tomorrow, okay?” she nodded again, smiling as she watched her brother’s faces, they were both thirteen. Wild and rough, yet she could see tears shining in their eyes as they left. I’ll be okay. She silently promised them.

________

Retrieval in one hour...

________

Arielys slept for almost an hour before waking. Out the window on the far side of the room, the sun was barely visible just above the building roofs she could see. She must have been high off the ground.

She sat in silence, darkness growing out the window. Arielys sighed. She wasn’t in much pain, but her mind was still in shock. It had blocked out the crash, knowing it was traumatic, her brain blotted it out like an ink spill. She could barely remember it.

_________

Retrieval in action...

_________

The lights went off in the room, surprising Arielys. It must be curfew. She thought. But then she heard footsteps. Her door opened. She expected to see the nurse, but it was a man.

He wore all black, with a vest over his black shirt. There was a black mask over the bottom half of his face, his dark eyes glittering just above it. His dark hair blended with his clothing and the darkness of the room. Worst of all, he carried a handgun. Many in fact, all over his body.

But the one he held one in his hand was pointed straight at her.

Arielys was frozen in shock. Her eyes watched in slow motion as the man’s finger tightened on the trigger. However, the noise the gun made told Arielys it wasn’t a bullet that was about to hit her.

There was a whistling and then a sharp pain in her shoulder. She tore her eyes away from the dark man and glanced down. A dart had gone through her shirt, which for some odd reason, wasn’t a hospital gown. The point had punctured her skin and the contents coursing through her bloodstream. Her eyes suddenly felt so heavy, she fell against the bed and before she slipped into darkness once more, she could have sworn she heard a helicopter as if it were right outside...

_________

Retrieval successful.

_________


Featured: Jay Dmer as Arielys Maximoff.

March 17, 2021 13:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

01:22 Mar 18, 2021

This literally wasn't even my character yet I loved it. Cannot wait for part 2! Very suspenseful ending. I did like the occasional interruption from Project Ignite- it continued the suspense throughout! Love it!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jay DMer
19:56 Mar 20, 2021

Love it!! There was a bit of some errors but I forgot where (I was too busy in the moment). Hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that The Adapters (Part 5) is out and you are featured! :) Please read Parts 1-4 first, thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Wowowoowwwwww can my threat level be 3? :DDDDD

Reply

Creed .
18:34 Mar 19, 2021

Hmm.. I dunno. I'll have to find a way to include your character 'cause at least the first few parts are only going to include the main characters. *gasp* I just realized I know how to include you! I'm not gonna tell, though! mwahahahaha!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lemon Lime
03:10 Mar 18, 2021

off to a great start!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:48 Mar 17, 2021

wow, the imagery was cool, how'd you do that? XD

Reply

Creed .
18:31 Mar 17, 2021

I dunno.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
14:57 Mar 17, 2021

wow! super awesome Bucky! the end was suspenseful and well written! can't wait for part 2!

Reply

Creed .
15:02 Mar 17, 2021

Yep, your character is next!

Reply

TJ Squared
15:12 Mar 17, 2021

can't wait, even if it wasn't my character :))))

Reply

Creed .
15:21 Mar 17, 2021

already started working on it!

Reply

TJ Squared
15:38 Mar 17, 2021

cool! :))) do anything interesting this week?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
02:03 Apr 11, 2021

Two things 1. This story was great, a solid character introduction. 2. I have a feeling that the Reedsycast form was for a series, but I'm kinda confused as to what that series is and where to read it. Is it the stories that say "Rune" or something else?

Reply

Creed .
19:28 Apr 11, 2021

The whole series is all the stories that say Project Ignite in the title,. let me know if this helped!

Reply

Sunny 🌼
19:28 Apr 11, 2021

h ok, got it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
19:29 Apr 11, 2021

oh ok, got it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.