2 comments

Science Fiction Fiction Urban Fantasy

Flipping these burgers is pretty easy this afternoon. Lunch is coming up and Leo is the newest robot man alive this McDonalds ever hired in years. Leo just turned 37 years old. He is robot number 7809. He was born 2325. In Dandytoe, Kanas. Leo is now 5'8ft. Sliver, light sliver eyes. He also has light brown hair. Some robots these days are also gold. Some of Leo's friends are gold, too. His husband, Josh is a year older. Josh is a human. A darker white man with light brown eyes and blonde hair. Josh was also born in Dandytoe. They have 5 boys. Half human/ half robot. Jaden, age 8. Jerome, age 9. Ed, 10. Twin brother Joe, 10 also. And, Sam. 11 now.

People are waiting in line and today is looking busy. This is great news. Good, these people are looking real hungry. Thank goodness for the dollar menu.

Rich is the cashier this lunch 🏘 hour.

"Welcome to McDonald's. What would you like?"

"How you doing? I would like a McDoble"

"Alright. Anything else?"

"Yes, I also want a small drink to go with that."

"Good. You're total is $7.80"

"Ok. Here's a $10"

"$2.20 is your change. Your order number is 690."

"Thanks"

2 minutes later

"Hey Leo, where's that McDouble?"

"I slided it in the bin!"

"I don't see it!"

"No, I don't!"

"Yes it is! It's right there! Let me show you!"

"WAIT! I see it."

"Great!"

"Yeah, this customer's been waiting."

"Glad you found it!"

"Number 690?"

"Right here!" This customer yelled out.

"Here's your order."

"Thanks. Don't worry about how long it was. You're fine. Hope you have a great day."

"Thanks, you too."

Leo was on the go today. New shipment of burgers came in this morning. He slized opened a bran new pack of meat patties to grill these burgers up. More and more customers were coming in.

"Look here son! That computer is wrong as can be! I don't see how a Double cheeseburger is gonna cost me $9! That's only $1.99!"

"I'm sorry Sir. It's the computer, I can't -"

"Yes YOU can!"

"I can't."

"Well, here's $9."

"Your order number is 800"

"Thanks for nothing! I'll be waiting right here. My burger better be fresh!"

"Yes, Sir."

30 seconds later.

"Here's your Double Cheeseburger Sir."

"Thanks, I hope you have a better day."

"Thank you Sir."

"Leo, did you see what happened here?"

" Yeah. Rich, that man wasn't happy at first."

"No, he wasn't."

"I'm glad he lighten up."

Josh stopped by to give Leo the copy of the car keys and it's his time to pick the kids up from daycare.

"Hey Rich, could you give these keys to Leo and let him know that it's my day to pick up the kids from daycare?"

"Yeah, sure I'll tell him."

"While I'm here. Can I get a double cheeseburger? Here's $10"

"Ok, here. Your order number is 836."

"Great"

30 seconds later.

"Order number 836?"

"Over here man!"

"I told Leo everything. He's got the keys to the car."

"Great! I owe you!"

"Thanks."

"See ya."

"Later😃."

In the back where Leo works today. Sandra, who was also working in the back today as well. Told Leo about how her husband seem to be looking forward to going to their daughter's friend's birthday party this afternoon.

"My daughter's friend is turning nine today. I'm real excited!"

"Awww!!!!"

"I know, Jackie is a gorgrous girl. Her and my daughter have been friends since the begining of the school year."

"So, what are you getting her this year?"

" I got her a 💕 💕 LOL doll set"

"Oh, that 💚 great!"

"I knowww."

"Did you get that one McChicken ready for that customer?"

"Yes, I did."

"Great!"

"Rich! Here!"

"Thanks!"

It was time to clean the lobby. Leah, who worked the cash register as well today went to get it done. One lady went to get a refill of her coke and asked, "I see you coming to clean here?" "Yes, ma'am😃." "Alright!" Leah got out her was rag and this lady wasn't done. "I hope you're having a good day." "I am." "Good. I love this song by the way." This lady shook her tail feather butts to lil Wayne and Leah joined in and bummed their hips together at the end like it was the disco. Leah got to wiping the fountain drink machine and counter. "Here you go ma'am. It's all yours." "Great!"

Leah, got wiping the tables down. Along with the sits. "Y'all enjoying yourselves?"

"Yes." These people said as Leah was wiping down the sits.

It was getting to the end of the shift. Everyone getting off was waiting in line to clock out and order their dinner. Leo and Sandra were now waiting on their orders.

It was past the dinner time rush.

Sandra and Leo were sitting down at a table by the doors. While waiting on Sandra's husband to pick her up.

"How's your husband doing?"

"Dean's is going through his crisis. He's 39 now. His acting like he's 18 again. He thinks he's on top of the 🗺 world."

"That's funny."

Still eating, "this big mac is goood!!"

Dean showed up and came 💠 inside.

"Hey Hunn! Hey Leo! What's up!"

"Great! Today was good."

"How's your husband?"

"Josh is doing great! He's at home. Kids are asleep. Somebody's got to watch 'em."

"Right."

"I heard about Jackie's 🎂 birthday party!"

"I know! She's turning 9."

"I'm happy for her."

"So, am I."

Sandra got to finishing her last bite. Threw away the wrapper and the paper in the tray. "You ready to go?" "Yes, I'm putting up this tray." "I'm sure we'll be getting to Jackie's party in a few minutes."

Leo called out, "I hope y'all have a great time. Wish Jackie a ✌ happy birthday from me!" "Will do." "Alright, I got to get home to my man and kids."

Leo was walking his happy ass 🏠 home. It only took him 20 minutes.

"Hey!"

"How was work?"

"Good."

"I can't believe it's our twelve year 👨 anniversary!"

"Is it?"

"Let's pop on a movie!"

"What movie you wanna see?"

"Jarasic Park"

"Great."

June 14, 2022 03:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ace Quinnton
19:55 Jun 14, 2022

The story overall is good, though I suggest that you spice up the storyline a bit. Dramatic backstory is what hooks the readers, along with colorful vocabulary and interesting expressions. Take away the emojis and replace them with descriptive words instead. There was one spelling error that I found while skimming through.

Reply

Kayla Keiser
20:00 Jun 14, 2022

Alright. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.