Eden in the Rearview Mirror

Submitted into Contest #196 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “Maybe in another life.”... view prompt

30 comments

Drama Contemporary Crime

Jarod plopped the bag of food down on the desk and likewise plopped himself in a chair. The afternoon sun had creeped in through the windows, showing off angular shapes and making the shadows appear denser, solid. Sounds from outside the room were muted. No one, it seemed, wanted to further fracture a day that had already been horribly shattered.

“Thanks, bro,” Fenny opened the bag and poured the contents out. Two Filet-O-Fish sandwiches and a double cheeseburger.

“Lot of cops out there, Fenny.”

Fenny took a large bite out of the first fish sandwich and gave a soft moan of pleasure. She stood and went to a window, taking another large bite out of the sandwich as she viewed the scene. Police cars lined the quiet suburban street, all lit up with flashing red and blue lights. A multitude of blue-clad men were watching the house; some had their pistols out, aimed at the abode. After a couple of minutes, Fenny turned away.

“So, no chance of a daring escape.” Fenny tossed the wrapper on the coffee table and started eating the double cheeseburger, washing it down with a hard seltzer. Jarod eyed her with a mixture of pity and puzzlement. She didn’t appear to be affected by what she had just done. She ate the double cheeseburger quickly, as was her fashion, and sipped the hard seltzer in between bites.

“Where…uh…where did you get the gun?”

Fenny finished the double cheeseburger and unwrapped the last sandwich.

“Dear Roger bought it last year. To protect us in case some evildoers wanted to come in and do evil things. Watched too many episodes of ‘Criminal Minds,’ I think.”

“And…uh…where…”

“In the bedroom. You don’t want to go in there, Jarod. It’s a mess.”

Jarod shuddered at the thought of what he would see in the bedroom. He put it off for the moment.

“Fenny, you have to let me help you.”

Jarod’s sharp words and forceful tone caused Fenny to stop eating. She gazed at her brother impassively before returning to her final sandwich.

Fenny’s phone chose this moment to buzz; she tossed it into a vase of flowers. A few bubbles rose from the water, and the buzzing soon stopped. Jarod’s phone also buzzed. He stared at the caller’s identity for a few seconds before answering it.

“No. Yes. Talking. No, no, everything’s fine. In her hand. I’m not sure. Listen, I gotta go. I’ll call you back later.”

Fenny smiled at her brother.

“Cops?”

“Yes. They want a progress report.”

Fenny barked out a laugh, piercing the pillowed softness of the air in the room. She lit a cigarette and curled her legs underneath her as she sat on a sofa, hunching over an ashtray that was filled with cigarette butts.

“Wanna beer? I think Roger has some Guinness in the fridge. There’s wine in the pantry. We have some whiskey…”

“Fen!” Jarod stood up and paced the room. He lit a cigarette but didn’t smoke it. It went out, so he lit it again, puffed, and inhaled. Immediately he began coughing and sputtering.

“That’s what happens when you don’t smoke,” Fenny said, laughing. Jarod glared at her.

“This shit’s serious, Fen. You killed two people and threatened to kill yourself unless I came in to talk to you. Those cops out there,” Jarod waved at the windows, “won’t wait forever.”

“They’ll wait long enough.”

“Long enough for what?”

“Long enough for me to explain it to you.”

**************

Jarod stood at the bedroom door, surveying the scene and trying not to puke. He had seen plenty of photographs of dead bodies in his profession, but he had never seen one in person. Now he saw two.

He rushed to the bathroom and threw up in the sink. His legs trembled and he felt dizzy. After a few moments, he washed his face with cold water and made a phone call.

“Yes, definitely Roger Callaghan and Alicia Stephens. What? Yes, I’m positive. Yes, she still has the gun. What? No! I’m not even gonna try to take it away from her. Dammit, someone could get hurt! No, I’ll get her to come out. I don’t know, fifteen minutes, a couple of hours, who the hell knows. Ok. Ok. Yes, right.”

Jarod put his phone away and returned downstairs.

**************

“Ok. Explain it to me, sis.”

“You saw them?”

“Yes. The cops wanted to know.”

“Did you tell them?

“Yes.”

The afternoon sun dipped below the trees in the neighborhood, covering everything with long-fingered shadows but allowing tendrils of sunlight to play amongst the greenery. A whisper of a breeze cooled the law enforcement personnel and the onlookers. A news helicopter hovered above the area, the muffled thump-thump of its blades adding an aura of surrealism to the scene.

“I shot them three times each.”

Jarod’s horrified expression brought a smile to Fenny’s face.

“Well, I had to make sure, didn’t I?”

Jarod slumped into a chair and stared at the wall opposite him. He couldn’t look at his sister.

“It wasn’t just the affair. I knew about that months ago.”

“But…but didn’t…”

“Yes. But Roger pulled the usual dick moves of your gender. Said it was all in my head, and that I was the one having an affair because I was always gone on book signings and promotions.”

“Ok. I’m a little offended, but ok.”

“I was a week away from leaving him. Made a new will and took half the money from our joint account. So, I came home a day early from my last tour. My last promotion was cancelled due to some political brouhaha. And there they were. In my bed.”

Jarod stood and closed the curtains. The approaching night would make it easier to see inside, and he didn’t want that. Fenny needed time to say what she needed to say.

“So, if it wasn’t the affair, then…well…why?”

Fenny plucked a book from one of the bookshelves in the living area and handed it to Jarod. The bookshelf had a dozen similar copies of the same book.

“Ok. Your first book,” Jarod said, looking at his sister quizzically.

“My only book. ‘Eden in the Rearview Mirror.’ New York Times bestseller and shortlisted for the Pulitzer.”

“Now you’re bragging.”

Fenny sighed and shook her head. A sadness that was deeper than the soul invaded her eyes.

“It’s my curse. But that comes later. First, there is Roger and Alicia, humping in my bed.”

“Ok, they were screwing.”

“They had finished, I think. I could hear them talking.”

“Really?”

“Well, yes. I crept upstairs and stood by the door.”

“Hmm.”

“They were talking about me. And about my book. Roger said I had deplorably slender hips, like a boy’s hips. Alicia made a snide comment about my small boobs.”

“That did it? You had to kill them for that?”

“No. It pissed me off, but I do have slender hips and small boobs. But it hurt a little, you know? I used to love Roger and now I was thrown over for one of your paralegals.”

Jarod shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Hey, I’m sorry about that, sis. I didn’t know Roger was screwing Alicia. I would’ve fired her if I knew.”

“Sweet, but it wouldn’t have solved anything. Roger was…Roger. Or…well…he became a different Roger after being married to me for ten years. And they were simply rationalizing their affair.”

“I don’t get it. I’ve worked side by side with Roger for a decade and I never knew he was cheating on you. He was very slick, I suppose.”

Fenny laughed lightly.

“You’re very easy to fool, bro. You think the best of people you work with, and of me. Sure, you’re a proficient defense attorney because you know how to delve into the minds of jurors, but you’re shit at understanding the people closest to you.”

“I think that’s a little unfair, Fen. Why do…”

“Did you ever see me as a killer? Did you ever see Roger and Alicia as adulterers?”

“No, but…”

“Ok then. Maybe in another life, I wouldn’t have killed them, and you would understand me better, and I would write more bestsellers, and I would have bigger boobs, and…well…life would be different. But that isn’t where we’re at.”

Streetlights started to glow and then illuminate the night. The circled pools of light showed that the law enforcement types were still holding their ground, and news trucks added to the population outside of Fenny’s house. The helicopter had moved on, leaving the area awash in radio squawks and slamming car doors.

“It was when they started talking about my writing that kind of pushed me over the edge.”

“Kind of?”

Fenny held out her hands and shrugged.

“Yeah. Fair cop. I went crazy.”

“You won’t get off on a temporary insanity plea, Fen. Second-degree murder. Maybe third-degree murder, with a good attorney.”

“You’re a good defense attorney,” Fen said, gazing at her brother.

“I can’t defend you. Not a good idea, anyway. Besides, I know better defense attorneys than me.”

“I bow to your expertise.”

Jarod decided to pour himself a whiskey. He further decided to pour a glass full of whiskey so he wouldn’t have to get up and refill his glass.

“So, what about your writing? You’re very successful, according to sales and reviews and all that. What could they possibly say to make you kill them?”

“First, it wasn’t just the way they talked about my career. It was everything. Roger becoming distant and cold. The affair. My writing.

“But it was the way they talked about ‘Eden in the Rearview Mirror’ that caused me to pull the trigger.”

“Six times, Fen.”

“Six times.”

Jarod’s phone buzzed again, and he quickly got up and went into the kitchen.

“Uh huh. Hard to say. Yeah, she seems calm. Not yet, no. I don’t know…soon enough. You can’t rush these things, you know. Just hold off. Trust me…I know, I know. Uh huh.”

“Cops again?”

“Yeah. They want blood.”

“I hope that’s figurative, Jarod.”

“Yes, not real blood. Just you being led away in handcuffs.”

“They’ll get me, in due time.”

Jarod shuddered. It was nightmarish stuff for him, his only sister and best friend being led away to face the rest of her life in prison.

“But not yet, Fen.”

“No, not yet. I still have to tell you the important part.”

**************

“Eden in the Rearview Mirror” sold 300,000 hardback copies, and twice that many in paperbacks. The audio book release pushed sales over one million; Fenchurch “Fenny” Callaghan became an American literary giant, seemingly overnight, and a millionaire to boot.

**************

“The important part is in your hands.”

Jarod looked at the cover of the book. It was simple: a close shot of the interior of a car, showing the rearview mirror and a sunglassed face reflected in the mirror. Polished nails showed on the steering wheel. The horizon appeared to be desert and barbed wire.

“I really don’t get it.”

Jarod eyed his sister with fondness and irritation. This was nothing new; Fenchurch had a distinct talent for bringing out both emotions in Jarod.

“Did you read the book?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Did you understand it?”

“Well…yes. I think so.”

Fenny shook her head and smiled.

“You didn’t. You’re like Roger. Neither of you understand literature.”

“Ok, I plead guilty. But I read it. Isn’t it about a woman who had the perfect life until her divorce, and then she had to make it on her own?”

“Sort of.”

“Well, that’s the gist of it.”

“Subtext. Themes. Sub-themes. Allegory. Allusion. All that stuff told the real tale.”

“I don’t understand hardly any of that, Fen.”

“I think the Garden of Eden story is an allegory.”

“Hmm. Sure, I can see that. But…”

“But I modified that, made it very secular. When we look back on the so-called good old days, we remember them fondly, in general. The truth is that the good old days are no better than the present. We think we lived in a paradise of sorts. Jessie, my main character, realizes this as she struggles to make a new life for herself. Her money is gone, her house is gone, her security is gone. Paradise lost.”

“Doesn’t she die at the end?”

“Yes. But that was her triumph. She died, but she found her personal paradise.”

“Didn’t a snake bite her? In the desert?”

Fenny nodded.

“Yes. With an Apple computer in her lap, under a tree. Get it?”

“No.”

Fenny scoffed.

“Symbolism. Serpent. Apple. Tree. Death.”

Jarod’s eyes opened wide; he saw what Fenny had been trying to tell him all these years.

“Ah! Damn, Fenny. Damn damn damn.”

“But that’s not the important part.”

Jarod sighed. He thought that had to have been the important part.

“Is the important part coming any time soon?”

“Sure. Call the cops back and tell them we’re coming out in fifteen minutes.”

Jarod eyed his sister suspiciously.

“You sure?”

“Yeah. It’s time to get to the east of Eden.”

**************

Jarod put his phone away and waited. Fenny was lighting another cigarette and swallowing whiskey at an impressive and disturbing rate. Jarod didn’t say anything about this. He would have done the same thing had he been in her position.

“I’ve become Harper Lee,” Fenny said. Her voice had softened, taken on the tone of butterscotch clouds.

“Don’t know him.”

“Her.”

“Don’t know her.”

“You should. You had to read her book sophomore year in high school.”

“Ok, remind me.”

“’To Kill a Mockingbird.’”

“Oh! Yeah. I saw the movie instead of reading it.”

“The important part isn’t the book. It’s the author.”

“Her.”

“Yes. She wrote ‘Mockingbird,’ and it was amazing. Instant classic. Won the Pulitzer.”

“Ok.”

“And that was it. Harper Lee never published another book.”

“I hear what you’re saying, but how is this the important part? You say you’ve become her. I don’t see that.”

“Roger saw that. He made a very uncouth comment about my career. Said that I blew my wad with ‘Eden,’ and that I was finished as an author.”

“Yeah? What does he know?”

Fenny refilled her glass with a different whiskey. An Irish whiskey, aged fourteen years. Roger, she felt, never appreciated the good stuff.

“He was right. That’s what sent me into a rage. He knew, and I suspect he knew that I knew. It’s been seven years since I wrote ‘Eden.’ I can’t seem to write anything of value now. Not since ‘Eden.’ I try and try and try, but nothing works.”

“Give it time, sis. You have talent.”

“Do I? I think I’m a one-hit wonder that got lucky with an idea. It’s been preying on my mind for years. Seriously. This gun? Roger’s gun? You don’t know how many times I’ve stuck it in my mouth and wanted to pull the trigger.”

Jarod gasped and paled. He suddenly felt cold and weak.

“Fen! No! Not my little…”

“It’s the truth. ‘Eden in the Rearview Mirror’ is in the rearview mirror. Nothing ahead for me but desert. And that’s ok, bro. Prison will be ok.”

Jarod felt his chest constrict and his breathing become shallow. He forced himself to take deep gulps of air to try to steady himself. The revelations from Fenny had his head spinning on an uneven axis, his thoughts tumbling on unsteady ground. Her words made sense, but they were words that exploded, destroying a part of him.

“Prison will suck, Fen.”

“That’s ok, too. It’s all ok.”

“I...I just…I don’t…”

“I can’t live in this world any longer, Jarod. I can’t see myself being whole, not after ‘Eden.’ Not after killing Roger and Alicia. God was right. One can never return to Eden.”

“Dammit, Fen! And damn Eden!”

Jarod was stumbling towards his sister, wanting to hug her. She pushed him away.

“Time to give the cops their reward. Let’s go,” Fenny said, putting the gun down and opening the front door. She went out with her hands raised, dropping to her knees at the bottom of the steps.

Jarod watched the events unfold as if from a distance. He couldn’t feel anything.

Fenny looked back at him before being put in a squad car.

“The desert can be beautiful, too. Don’t forget that.”

The long night ended, and the neighborhood returned to normal in a few hours. Jarod went home and wept. Fenny sat in her cell, demanding pencil and paper.

She had a story to write.

May 03, 2023 11:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Michał Przywara
20:42 May 03, 2023

All things considered, that's a pretty graceful de-escalation to a tense situation. This would be a tense story from the POV of the police and neighbours. Seems like Fenny snapped. She had some good reasons, certainly, but this wasn't planned. She was just going to leave and forget him, and instead she allowed herself to get pushed off the edge, and she snapped. But considering her realizations, perhaps it was inevitable. In a way she was leading a fake life and she could no longer maintain the charade even for herself. Roger's cruel and...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
21:06 May 03, 2023

Thanks so much, Michal. I appreciate the nice review. Fenny did snap. She couldn't face being a one-hit wonder; she felt like a fraud, and all she wanted to do was to write something worth reading. I hoped the Eden thing worked on more than one level. That was my intent. Again, thanks, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
13:55 May 26, 2023

Hi Delbert! Oh my gosh, you captured so many fears that I think we have as writers with this piece! I loved that the thing that put her over the edge is when something that she is most passionate about is misunderstood. I thought you did a great job of capturing her insanity while also acknowledging that her actions weren’t ultimately OK. I think creative people always worry after success that this is it, and they’ll never be able to see it again. It’s a tiny, deep-seeded fear that all of us have and I love that you wrote about it for this o...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:24 May 26, 2023

Thank you very much, Amanda. I appreciate the praise and the analysis. The analysis is spot on. Every writer fears losing the gift of spinning a tale. I continually live with that fear; I feel like an impostor. A math teacher writing tales. Again, thank you, my friend. Your input is always worth reading and considering. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
14:24 May 26, 2023

Thank you very much, Amanda. I appreciate the praise and the analysis. The analysis is spot on. Every writer fears losing the gift of spinning a tale. I continually live with that fear; I feel like an impostor. A math teacher writing tales. Again, thank you, my friend. Your input is always worth reading and considering. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jessica B Taylor
15:38 May 11, 2023

Wowweee….soooo goooood! I love it!! “…a sadness deeper than the soul” great line!! At the beginning, I could taste the filet-o-fish, I could see the wrappers, I could visualize the scene…I was a little concerned I didn’t know who “Dear Roger” was when Fen first brought him up but that was addressed as I kept reading. Such a good read. Thanks for the heads up on publishing a best seller!!! Lol

Reply

Delbert Griffith
17:23 May 11, 2023

LOL well, I hope you don't go that route, my friend. Seems like a lot to pay for fame, yes? I'm pleased that you liked the tale, Teresa. My aim was to get certain messages across, one of them being that we identify too much with other people's perception of us. The rearview mirror might be a good place to start seeing ourselves. Again, thank you for the praise. I truly appreciate it. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
23:49 May 08, 2023

Never trust a writer! As a good writer of literature, Fenny put too much weight into the symbolism of her asshole husband, and took his poor behavior as her fault. The changing of the light was a good touch as Fenny's own light was being dimmed. I did look for one last reference at the end, 'darkness closed in' or similar, but that might have been too heavy handed with the metaphor. Good one!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
00:04 May 09, 2023

Thanks so much, Marty. Like most cons, getting the mark to believe you is mostly dependent on the mark's state of mind. Fenny fell victim to her own emotions and fears. Glad you liked the tale, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:47 May 07, 2023

I love your opening paragraph and the brief dialogue that follows. Such a great set up and we just have to know what happened and why. The idea of imposter syndrome, of not even feeling real in your own life comes across, as Fenny seems quite detached from the situation. It is as if this is not her life, she is merely observing it. -Fenny held out her hands and shrugged. “Yeah. Fair cop. I went crazy.” Even when she is talking about going crazy, she is quite dispassionate about it, no fear, or remorse, or anything. Throughout the story, t...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:15 May 07, 2023

Thank you very much for the praise, Michelle. Kind words from a superior author like you tell me I'm doing something right. Unfortunately, I feel like an impostor, much like Fenny. Ex-math teachers have no business writing fiction. LOL You certainly got the symbolism of the dwindling day; it represented Fenny's descent into darkness, as you say, but also her brother's darkening awareness of who his sister really has become. The 'Eden' theme is, like the bible tale, allegorical. The curse of knowledge has a destructive power on the soul. Fe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
G. Poirier
02:51 May 07, 2023

Love the way you drew out the tension, as well as how you used the changing light and it's effect in the scene to mark the passage of time. Very nice story.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:41 May 07, 2023

Thank you very much, my friend. I appreciate the praise and the analysis. Yes, the changing light was intended as you state. Nice catch. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
09:24 May 06, 2023

Well that is sure one way to get inspiration to write a second book! The suspense linked to the reveal is great, especially as it's tied to her motives. It's a mark of how interesting Fenny is that despite knowing about what will be behind the bedroom door, you keep us eagerly reading on, keen to know what it was beyond the affair that finally broke her. And I really wasn't expecting that motive, but hell knows no fury perhaps like a writer spurned by her second book! Now here's the thing Del, I've come to expect great structure and dialogue...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:38 May 06, 2023

Wow, thanks so much for the praise and the comments, Rebecca. Coming from you, these comments carry a lot of weight with me. Fenny snapped because she felt like her entire adult life was a fraud. Her one book, of course, was prioritized in the tale. However, she also felt like her marriage was a fraud. Her husband having sex with someone else in HER bed was, symbolically, the worst kind of betrayal. Recall that I mentioned her slender hips and small boobs. She knew that her husband saw her as a fraudulent woman. All three things, having the...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:42 May 07, 2023

Bless you Del. I find it hard most weeks to get a Reedsy story on paper. I'd love to be a full time writer and do have a manuscript for a YA book ( written before my Reedsy addiction started!) but I've just no time to edit or promote it. I keep thinking when I retire from teaching, but it's still a good many years off! In the meantime, I'm very happy to have a kind readership on Reedsy. It's lovely to think of people all over the world reading our stories, isn't it! Good morning from ☀️ Bavaria

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
14:01 May 05, 2023

Wow. This is really engaging. Your craft your characters so well through the use of dialogue. At first I am being propelled along by a sort of who done it (although why done is more accurate) and then I am suddenly immersed in the frustrations of creative output and symbolic allusions to the Bible about the curse of knowing. The title is absolutely fantastic, then the reference to "east of Eden"...I am very impressed how it comes together to create both a story and the exploration of the effects of self-knowing and our limits. For the record...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:58 May 05, 2023

Thank you very much, Laurel. Your praise, input, and comments are always worth considering. Yes, the curse of knowing. That's a major point in the tale. And I'm quite pleased that you picked up on the 'east of Eden' reference. You have a knack of seeing even the subtlest of points and references, my friend. That's a nice talent (skill?) to have. And, dammit, I completely forgot about the one she wrote about a decade earlier. Well, it doesn't impact the tale much, but I gotta go back and take care of that! Thanks a gazillion for the catch, ...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
19:32 May 05, 2023

I don't think the Lee book causes a problem here, but I guess if you were thinking of publishing the story elsewhere (where there might be an excess of English teachers), then it might be worth looking at. It is actually more proof of Fennie's worry since it kind of is proof of a one hit wonder (not to be unkind to Lee). Mostly, pretty blown away that you are a math teacher! A: because that is truly a magic art and B: that's some significant multi-dimensionality.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
20:48 May 05, 2023

I agree: not a problem here, but could be a problem later. Still, I'm a little disappointed in myself for not remembering that. Give me a beer and I'll forgive myself. LOL Truthfully, being a math teacher has helped my writing tremendously, and being a writer has improved my teaching considerably. I suppose it's all about seeing things (whether it be math or literature) from different perspectives. I appreciate that they complement each other so well. Again, thanks for reading my little tale and leaving comments. A Laurel Hanson comment is...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
14:33 May 04, 2023

You know, I loved this the first time I read it, Del. I may have said something such as "lots going on." But this time reading Fenny's tale, it took me even more places. The first layer is Fenny confessing and confiding in her brother. Jerod is like most of us, can't we all just get along. Fenny is the artist, the writer; she knows people and there's a price to pay for knowledge. Thus, there's Eden. The tree of knowledge is why Fenny can't live with all she knows, a cheating husband, a one book wonder (perhaps). But instead of be...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
19:52 May 04, 2023

Wow. I have to say, you saw the "Eden and the bane of knowledge" angle. Well done, Susan! I did put a lot of themes in this tale - maybe too many. But it felt right. I know that when you read it the first time, it was lacking. You made it much, much better, and I can't thank you enough. Cheers, my friend. Looking forward to future endeavors! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
02:34 May 04, 2023

Delbert, A very engaging story with a tense story thread. Fen's writer's block being cured through her own participation in the opening act to her new book is hilarious. When the page is blank, invent something, right? Fen surely did that. I liked the subtle hint at the situation possibly being her last supper. She certainly had an appetite to fill, and she managed to fulfil more than one thing at the same time. 1. Kill her lying, cheating husband and his mistress. 2. Fuel her creative juices with blood, fast food, and whiskey. 3. Secur...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
07:40 May 04, 2023

Thank you very much for the praise and the analysis, Chris. You're the only one (so far) who saw the humor in the tale, as well as the "Last Supper" motif and a quiet place to write. All of that was intentional, and you picked up on it. Well done, mate! The McDonald's meal was crucial to the tale, as you stated. She had a great appetite, and this meal symbolized that her appetites ran past actual food. Appetite for destruction, maybe? LOL Again, thank you, my friend. Your take on the tale was stellar. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
23:20 May 03, 2023

Wow Del an impressive and engaging story that delivers an ending that is palatable. Well done. A part of me thought she might kill herself there for a minute. Not going to lie. But your ending was great. I really enjoyed this piece. Fenny had enough and went ballistic on Roger and Alicia. Accepting her fate of prison. "I think I’m a one-hit wonder that got lucky with an idea." - totally understandable for a first time author. "Well…life would be different. But that isn’t where we’re at.” - A great line I think everyone might say at on...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
00:03 May 04, 2023

Wow, thanks for the praise, Lily. I'm so pleased that you liked it. Yes, the "East of Eden" theme was prevalent - one was a Biblical theme and the other a secular theme. The parallels between the two was what I was going for. Again, thank you, my friend. You always see what is there. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darya Silman
21:02 May 03, 2023

Aren't all published writers afraid their best story lies behind them? Very interesting, and definitely a sore point, take on the prompt!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
21:09 May 03, 2023

Thanks, Darya. I'm pleased that you found the tale interesting. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:42 May 03, 2023

“Ah! Damn, Fenny. Damn damn damn.” (insert 'Delbert' for 'Fenny') That was good! I don't talk like that so had to quote Jarod.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
21:04 May 03, 2023

LOL Well, I'm glad you liked it. Fenny is quite the character. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.