1 comment

Crime Friendship Suspense

“Hurry up before he wakes up!”

“Don’t worry. I slipped him enough to be out cold for hours.”

“What if she comes back before we’re gone?”

“One of us will be loose by then. Now, shut up and let me concentrate! The situation’s bad enough without you being hysterical.”

“I think I have every reason to be hysterical!” A grunt from the other side of the room made Lilian and Julie freeze, but the man just rolled over and began snoring again.

“That was too close.” Lilian let out a breath. “Almost there though.”

“Come on, Lily. I know you can get us out of this.”

“I’d damn well better cuz it was my dumb ass that landed us here in the first place.”

“I’ll forgive you for the rest of my life if I can see Mikey again.”

“Close now.” As Julie watched with hopeful eyes and occasionally checking to make sure their captor was still asleep, Lilian thought back to how this whole thing happened.

“Whew! Man, I feel good! Don’t think I ever drank so much in my life!”

“Hell, you drank more than me, and that’s saying a lot!”

“You two are beyond loud when you’re wasted.” Adam commented as he tried to keep his girlfriend steady.

“No louder than you when you’re like this, babe!” Lilian crowed, swiping her purple hair out of her face, only to have it fall back again.

“Come on, Julie. Watch your step.”

“I got this, Mikey! Hell, I could walk a straight line, no problem!” He attempted to keep her standing but she lost her balance anyway and went straight to the concrete.

“You’re beyond wasted.” Mikey grunted as he helped her up. “I’m taking your keys.”

“Same goes for you, Lily.”

“Oh, come on, Adam! I’m more than capable of getting myself home!”

“Me too! Gimme my keys!” The guys held the desired objects out of reach.

“Forget it, Julie. I’m driving you back tonight then you’ll get your keys back.” Adam only nodded, and both women finally relented.

“Fine, but don’t think we won’t remember this!” Lilian glared at her boyfriend, who only laughed at her poor attempt to be threatening.

“You’ll both forget as soon as you pass out. Let’s go.” Mikey strapped Julie into the passenger seat of her gray Lincoln Towncar, and Adam secured Lilian in her blue Toyota Prius.

“You never let me have any fun!” Lilian pouted on the ride home.

“You tell me that every time you get drunk. If anything, I let you have too much fun.”

She huffed. “I am not drunk! I never get drunk.”

“Could’ve fooled me.” Adam checked the rear-view to see Mikey behind them. “First time you and Julie ever hung out. Didn’t think you cared much for Terry’s friends.”

“When did I say that?”

Adam sighed. “You said when we first met them that they all tried too hard to be hippies. Then when Julie moved to the same building and the same floor as you, you said you’d never hang out with someone who was stuck in the 60s.”

“I changed my mind after talking to her a few times.”

“Clearly. Here we are.” He pulled over at a white brick building, where she promptly got out and almost got a cement face lift. “Slow down, Speedy. Let me walk you up.”

“Don’t bother. Just park my car then bring me my keys.”

“Same goes for you, Mikey.” Julie could be heard behind Lilian before Adam could respond.

Both guys did their best to keep from blowing up at the behavior of their girlfriends. “Fine.” Adam bit out through gritted teeth. “We’ll be right back, and you two stay right here by the door. Don’t think I could live myself if something happened to you.” He gave Lily a look that left no room for argument then went to park her Prius.

When they’d disappeared from view, Julie laughed. “Even when I’m wasted, I can get him to do whatever I want.”

“Same here. Had a great time tonight. We should do this again.”

“Definitely. Man, I need to sit down. Think I outdid myself tonight.”

“Ditto. There’s a bench nearby somewhere.” She turned to locate said bench and came face-to-face with someone who kind of looked familiar. “Do I know you?” Lilian squinted her eyes but it only served to make her vision blurrier.

“I’m surprised you don’t remember me, Lilian. We only dated the entire time we were in high school.” The man moved closer until he was almost between the two women.

“Parker? Parker Albion? Is that really you?”

“Nice to see you’ve gotten your memory back.” Parker looked around, and saw that the street was empty. “I was on my way to a party when I stumbled across you and your friend. Would you care to accompany me?”

Lily didn’t even think twice. “Sure! It’s only one AM, and we’re far from done. Come on, Julie!”

“Damn! Why is this car park always so crowded? I can’t find a space anywhere!” Adam was driving in circles, trying to park the Prius and from what he could see in the rear-view, Mikey wasn’t having any luck either. “Finally!” They found two spots next to each other on the roof then got out. “I don’t know why I put up with her sometimes, Mike. Lily can be so hard-headed!”

“I know what you mean, mate. You should see Julie when she’s been drinking and rolling on acid.” He shook his head. “I couldn’t imagine my life with anyone else though.”

“Me neither, tell you the truth. Let’s get back to them. I need to work in the morning, so I don’t want to spend the rest of the night wrangling my girlfriend.” They headed for the lift to take them to the ground level, and were outside in a few minutes. “That’s funny. Where’d they go? I told them to wait right here.”

“Shh! You here that?” They heard loud laughter down the block. “Julie!” They sprinted in the direction of the sound, just in time to see both women getting into the car of someone the guys didn’t recognize at first. The man shut the rear passenger door then turned to climb in the driver’s seat, and something clicked in Adam’s mind.

“Oh my god! That’s Parker! He’s Lilian’s ex. What the hell is she doing with him?”

“It can’t be good, whatever it is. Come one!” They bolted towards the black Escalade but were only able to see Parker waving at them sinisterly as he drove off with his prizes. “Get the plate! Quick!” Mikey shouted as he dialed 999.

“Got it! The Met should be able to trace the auto. I’m gonna phone Lily to ask her what the hell’s going on.” He dialed her mobile but it went straight to the answerphone. “Oh no.”

“What’s up?” Mikey asked as the dispatcher was typing in the information he’d given.

“Lilian’s mobile. It’s going right to answerphone. That means…”

“Don’t think anything like that yet, mate. She might have a low battery or something. Yes, we’ll wait here. Cheers. The Met’s on the way. Let’s hope they can find the girls.”

“If I know Parker, what he’s got in mind is nothing I want to think about.”

Adam couldn’t have been more right. What Lilian and Julie thought would be a party that’d go until dawn ended up with them being drugged then waking up somewhere in the woods. Lily came to first and realised the car she was in wasn’t hers or Adam’s. “What? Where am I? What the hell?” She looked down to see her hands were tied by a leather strap. “What in the world?” The car door opened, causing her to jump, and a woman she didn’t know looked at her.

“Finally! I was wondering when one of you would wake up.”

“Where am I? Who are you?”

“Parker didn’t tell you?” The frightened woman shook her head. “Figures, or maybe he did and you were too wasted to remember it. I’m Lucy, and his partner, so to speak.” Julie began to stir. “Good. Now, I won’t have to make two trips.”

“What are you talking about?” Lucy pointed a pistol at her. “Whoa! What the bloody hell?”

“Relax, honey. I’m not gonna shoot you, unless you don’t behave, that is. Come on, now.” She motioned with the gun for Lilian to get out of the Escalade, which she quickly obliged. “You too, darling.” The maniac said to Julie, who scrambled out. “That way,” Lucy pointed up the hill to a small structure, “and be quick about it. Parker doesn’t like to be kept waiting.”

Struggling to keep their balance with the drugs and alcohol still running through their systems, the girls carefully made their way up the hill. “What’s going on?” Julie whispered.

“I don’t know but if it is Parker then it’s not gonna be a good outcome for us.” Lilian whispered back.

“Who is he?”

“He’s my ex from high school. Was somewhat of a psychopath. Stalked me for a year after I broke up with him, and damn near went berserk after he found out I was seeing Adam. Ended up getting locked up in hospital but it looks like he’s out now.”

“What do you think he’s gonna do?” Julie almost fell but held onto Lilian.

“Watch you step.” Lucy giggled insanely behind them.

“Nothing good; that’s for certain.”

They reached the small house and Lucy ushered them inside then bolted the door behind her. “In there.” She pointed to a room across the hall with two beds in it. They sat on one together and the strange woman disappeared.

“I’m sorry, Julie. I should’ve known better than to go off with this creep.”

“Apologise when we get outta here.” She looked around. “If we get outta here.”

“I’d say your chances of that are slim to none.” Parker appeared in the doorway, looking pleased with himself. “I’ve been planning this for a long time, Lilian, and now I have you again.” He got closer until she could feel his breath on her cheek. “You don’t know how much I’ve missed you. I even tried to forget but my love for you was too strong. I even tried to replace you several times but it didn’t quite work out.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You’ve heard of the South London Stalker, haven’t you?”

“You mean…”

“In the flesh, honey. No one ever saw me and no one could find any evidence to point to me. I’m the Jack the Ripper of the 21st century.”

“Wouldn’t put you in that category.” Lilian retorted. “More like Ted Bundy or Richard Ramirez. And both of them were caught and died in prison.”

“It’s you fault I became this!” Parker raged. “If you hadn’t left me, this never would’ve happened!”

“Easy, babe. You know how you get when you’re worked up.” Lucy soothed him and he kissed her.

“You’re right, love. I forgot.” He looked at his catch again. “Get comfortable, girls. You’re gonna be here for a long time. They probably won’t even find you for a year or more.”

“You psychotic wanker! You’ve got no one to blame for this but yourself!” Lilian lunged at her ex before Julie could stop her, and she knocked Lucy aside then started beating on Parker. She got in a few good blows before his partner stood back up and pulled her gun.

“That’s enough, sweetheart! Now, unless you wanna end up like the others, sit your arse down!” Lilian slowly backed away and sat back on the bed, where Julie moved closer to her. “Better. You alright, love?”

Parker wiped his bloody lip. “Yeah. Forgot how strong she was but it only made me more excited.”

“You can have your fun but make sure I’m gone first. You know I hate the noises you make.”

“Whatever. Just bring me back some food, but for now, I’m going to get our guests a drink then I’ll be back to play with you later, Lily.” The crazed duo vanished, and Lilian shuddered.

“You okay, Lily?” Julie asked.

“I will be once I get him back for this.”

“How do you expect to do that when she’s got a gun?”

“With these.” She opened her hand to reveal a few small pills.

“How’d you get those?”

“When I was beating his ass, I slipped these out of his pocket. I think it’s what he used to knock us out. Now, we wait.”

“I hope you’re right.”

“Me too.”

“Care to join me for a beer, ladies?” The stalker returned with three bottles in hand.

“If it’ll keep me from being thirsty. Hand it over.” They popped the tops and took a sip.

“Hey, Parker! Come here a minute!” Lucy could be heard from the front of the house.

“Coming! Don’t go anywhere now!” He stood up and went out the yard.

“Dumb ass.” Lilian deposited the pills into his beer and they quickly dissolved.

“I gave you plenty, now go enjoy yourself for a couple hours!” Parker yelled as he was coming back. “And bring back some sushi!” An engine revved and Lucy could be heard peeling off down the hill.

“Thought I’d never get rid of her. Where were we?”

“Enjoying our beers.” Lilian reminded.

“Right.” He took a gulp and finished half of his. “This stuff is better than I remember.” He polished it off. “Remember how we used to sneak these from my Dad?”

“How could I forget? We’d get in so much trouble for it.”

“The good old days.” He looked at her. “We could have them again, you know. Getting into all kinds of mischief.”

“Seems like you’ve already gone beyond mischief.” Julie muttered.

Parker ignored her. “Think about it, Lily. We could get rid of Lucy and your friend here, and become the outlaws we always talked about being.”

Julie looked terrified but Lilian knew how to talk this guy down. She reached out her hands and caressed his cheek. “We did talk about that once.” He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. “I’ll admit: I have missed you lately as Adam never lets me have any fun.” She saw his eyes flutter. “Maybe I could be your new partner. We’d be infamous the world over.”

Parker yawned. “Oh yeah. Nobody’d ever catch us. I’m glad I found you again.”

“So am I.” He leaned forward to kiss her but ended up passing out and falling in her lap.

“Moron. Help me here.” They maneuvered him onto the bed then moved to the other one. “He’ll be out for a while. Now, to get these straps off.”

“Close now. Got it!” Lilian slipped her binding off. “That’s better.”

“Great! Now, do mine. Quick!” She made short work of her friend’s ties then they both made for the front of the house. “Crap! She’s back!”

“Hide! In there!” They dashed for a closest then waited for Lucy to come in.

“Parker! Got your sushi! Where are you?”

“Now’s our chance! Move!” They made a mad dash for the door and out to the Escalade, which still had the keys in it. “Talk about dumb luck!” Lilian started the SUV and took off just as Lucy was outside, shooting rounds at the tailgate.

“Crazy broad. Glad we’re outta there.”

“Hey, bet we can use this thing’s GPS to figure a way out.” Julie messed with the buttons until she found the last used route. “Gotcha! London, here we come!”

“Where’s the brights on this damn thing? There we are! Oh crap!” She slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop sideways. Less than a yard away were several police cars that had set up a road block. “Lucky we didn’t roll.”

“Better turn the engine off. They’re coming over here.”

“That’s the truck!” They heard a familiar voice and looked up to see Adam and Mikey with the police.

“Oh, thank goodness!” Lilian slumped in her seat.

“Come on out, ladies! You’re safe now!” They slowly got out and were scooped in bear hugs.

“Ow! Easy, Adam! My adrenaline’s wearing off.”

“Sorry, love. I was so worried about you. You can’t imagine what was going through my head!”

“Aside from how stupid I was to go off with my ex-boyfriend?”

He lifted her head. “I still love you, Lilian, and I’m just glad you’re safe.” He kissed her. “But seriously, never do that to me again.”

“I don’t think I have to worry about running into Parker again.” She looked at Julie, who was holding Mikey and crying. “Hey, Julie?” The other woman looked at her. “I’m sorry I got you into this but I’m glad you were in it with me. Don’t know if I would’ve made it out by myself.”

Julie wiped her eyes and smoothed her red hair. “I told you I’d forgive you if I got to see Mikey again. You kept me calm during this craziness, and, truth be told, I don’t think anyone else would’ve been able to do that.” They hugged. “Just never do that to me again.”

“Let’s never get that drunk again.”

“Fair enough but we’re still hanging out again, right?”

“For the rest of our lives, sister.”

February 05, 2021 03:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rajesh Patel
16:36 Feb 12, 2021

I enjoyed it. This was a good fun ride.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.