4 comments

Romance Fiction

That day changed my life. It was a normal day for me. I went to work, served about a million people, and came home. It was normal. The only not normal thing was him. That started the reaction. He was about 23, with gorgeous sage green eyes that pierced my soul. His chocolate brown hair was wild, like he had been at the beach earlier and let the winds style it. He looked at me but it wasn’t really friendly. It was an I can see right through you look. I just went over and took his order like a normal person. When I got home, I just threw my stuff down and flopped onto the couch. Later when I was brushing my teeth, someone knocked on the door. If I had just ignored it, none of it would have ever happened.

When I opened it, the man was there. I suddenly felt self conscious in my athletic shorts and a Moe’s shirt that was too big. He looked hot in a white tee and jeans, which probably made me feel like that. He just walked right in and sat on my couch like he lived here. I found my voice just then. “W-who are you, and why are you in my house.” He grinned, like I was a six year old telling him to give me my toy, and clicked his tongue. “Oh, sweet Holly. You don’t remember your best friend?” When he said that a herd of memories flooded into view.

Me as a teen, running with him. I shifted into a wolf, while he morphed into a hawk. We raced and laughed. Me as a young adult, almost 19, laying in the shade of a tree. The hawk rested on a branch above me, and we were chatting like old friends. Many more flashed into mind, but one fixated in my mind. Me, as a grown woman, tearfully leaving a host of people. He ran up to me and wrapped me in a hug. After he let go, he lightly kissed my lips and dashed away, lifting off as a hawk. I left, only to return on my 20th birthday. When I gasped he smiled. No, his name was Conner. “Now do you see? Tomorrow, you can come back. Back to our people, and we can be together. You can be a shifter again, find the animal spirit again. Just say that you do.” By then he was cradling my arms, telepathically pleading for me to say yes. I looked down at my socks, tan with sparkly avocados on them. An internal battle raged inside me. You have friends! No you don’t, they’re imaginary! What about work! Who needs that when you can have shifting and a Conner! That side finally won. “Take me back.” Those were the words that changed my life.

He wrapped me in his arms and we dissolved into smoke. We reformed in a glade. It was lush, green, and full of a host of people. They were all dressed in cloaks and robes and dresses. It was like stepping into the Middle Ages. I was wearing a white puffy sleeve shirt with a black assassin vest with gold embroidery. I had a black cloak clasped around my shoulders, and black leather boots. Inside, I felt a spirit awaken, like I had two souls instead of one. Everyone was staring at me and they were all saying the same thing. Shift. I concentrated, and when I opened my eyes, I was a wolf! I gave a triumphant howl while everyone shifted . The meadow now housed a herd of various animals, from bears to otters to sparrows and everything in between. We all raced around, then they showed me to my area. I had a little cabin. It looked warm and cozy, so I settled in for the night and promptly fell asleep. When I woke up, I felt someone sitting on the edge of my bed. When I squinted to see who it was, I saw a vague blurry shape of Conner. I smiled sleepily. “Good morning. I never expected to see you here.” He grinned and brushed a few strands of my hair out of my face. “I never dreamed you would be back. They made you forget this life, and me with that.” I sat up and lightly pecked his cheek. When we came to breakfast, I could tell something was wrong. Many seats were empty, and the rest were full of gloomy people. Everyone glared at me when I came in. An old man in an emerald green robe stood up and looked me straight in the eyes. “Holly Swift. You are hereby banished from the pack for kidnaping and sorcery,”

July 24, 2021 01:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

19:25 Jul 28, 2021

Great story, Moon Fox! The plot was so interesting and creative. The only thing I would suggest is maybe break up the paragraphs a bit more, but other than that it was really good! Loved the cliffhanger too :)) I’ll check out some of your other stories soon! Also, yay, another fan of KOTLC and cats! :D 🐈‍⬛

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
10:29 Jul 25, 2021

Hello Moon Fox! {That's a really nice and inventive name, BTW} I really liked this story, though at first I was intimidated with the super-long, one-paragraph format. You might want to change that in the future as it is very difficult to read through it. I love this story and am eagerly waiting for it's second part. I like the names and the sweet flashback in the story. The cliffhanger is really intriguing. Do write ahead and tell me when the second part comes. Where are you from? (if you want to tell) Please do read and comment your revie...

Reply

Moon Fox
00:32 Jul 26, 2021

Virginia! I just came out with part 2 so if its available you could read it. And i will! (If you got ideas, just ask.;)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:07 Jul 26, 2021

Okay! Those were too many replies, but yeah, I'll read it soon. Also, I am currently busy with another colab, will think about it after that. Another thing, please do read and comment your review on my stories too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.