38 comments

Coming of Age Lesbian Teens & Young Adult

"Last night I dreamt that you killed me."


I tried to laugh, but my attempt was weak, and Kate wasn't convinced. She never seemed to be. 


"Y'know," she began, leaning back in her chair as if to get as far away from me as possible without just standing up and leaving, "when you invited me for coffee, that really wasn't what I was expecting you to start with." 


Naturally, she was defensive and I tried to backpedal. This had always been the yin and yang of our relationship.


"I just thought it might be an interesting ice breaker.” A lie, for the most part. I just knew the idea would make her uncomfortable. Admittedly, I was trying to get a rise out of the girl. I was testing her waters.


Not even I sounded convinced by this ice breaker idea, but I plastered on a smile as genuine as I could muster. To my surprise, Kate's demeanor seemed to actually soften. This was more than a rarity; I'd thought her ability to be kind had gone completely extinct. I could have sworn I saw it shot dead and pictured on her ex boyfriend's Instagram, held up by the horns and accompanied by a valiant smile. Or maybe that was just her virginity...


"Well, how did I kill you then?" she asked me as her softness retreated, leaning back in ever so slightly to reach her caramel macchiato. She hadn't taken a sip of it yet, she was too busy training her eyes onto me. The concept of her being a cold blooded killer hadn’t really crossed my mind before then, but the more I sat there and felt her study me, the more I became convinced it was a feasible reality. With a bead of sweat forming at my brow, I sucked in a breath. I weighed my options as I took a swig from my hot cocoa. I could tell her how she actually did kill me in my dream last night i.e. brutally stabbing me in the chest and face until I looked like a pile of ground beef, or I could try and pivot the conversation a little bit. In the spirit of being less argumentative, I chose the latter. 


"Listen-" I began, but she stopped me.


"I want to know now," she said, insistent that I give her all the gory details. 


"I don't want to give you any ideas, Katie," I sighed, yelping once I realized what I had done. My mouth met my drink again as I tried to gauge her reaction. Her face was unreadable. I definitely hadn't missed that. It was all behind her eyes, too deep for me to decipher. I could tell gears were turning, but never in which direction. Kate always made me feel lost somehow, maybe that's what they mean when they say "lost in your eyes.” I always pictured it feeling a little less like lost at sea Life of Pi style, and a little more like lost on white sandy beaches surrounded by turquoise waters with an umbrella drink in my hand but hey, go figure. 


"If I wanted to kill you, I would have done it by now," Kate replied smoothly, obviously not wanting to give me a reaction after I had slipped and called her Katie. If she wanted to kill me..?


Little did she know, she already had. 


I was beginning to regret this entire idea. I was stupid to think we could ever be together again, as friends or anything more. It was suddenly so obvious to me that Kate was still the same girl she always had been. She was cold and brutal. Somehow being killed by her in my head was far less damaging than sitting across from her in a coffee shop. Seeing her face. Hearing her. Smelling her perfume.


My mind was suddenly flooded with memories. I could see her holding my hand in the hallway at school, all while wearing my sweatshirt, could smell her cherry blossom shampoo in my teenage bedroom. I could feel her skin, hear her voice soft in my ears. See our very first date at the drive-in, and our last at my house ... while we put up Christmas decorations. I could see her tears glittering as they fell down her face, hear her footsteps crunching on freshly fallen snow as she left. My face stinging under the crisp December air that day, making my tears fall like hail, heavy and cold. Christmas never came that year for me, just a deep, dark winter. 


I stared at my coffee cup, defeated. Her eyes all over me, pricking me like needles. How could I have been so in love with Kate just years earlier, and now want nothing to do with her? I wondered if first loves were always like this, or if I had just been dealt a pretty shitty hand. Maybe some things were just meant to be short lived. We had been like a sunset, or a season finale, or an ice cream cone in July. When we were good, we were great. Yet the nagging in my brain, buzzing like a bee trapped in my skull, that things ended too early never seemed to quiet.


"Why won't you look at me?" Kate questioned, her voice even and calm. I knew if I spoke the lump in my throat would leap out like a frog. I shook my head gently as tears tickled the corners of my eyes. 


A moment passed, and I tried my best to breathe and calm the waves in my chest. I felt like the ocean was crashing within me, tears bubbling up through my body. My organs shuffled like ships in a storm as I felt my stomach push against my ribcage. Suddenly I felt sick. All I wanted to do was cry, and go back in time to tell myself not to do this. Don't call Kate and expect to get Katie back. You'll never see that same sunset, never enjoy that same ice cream cone. Maybe that's okay.


Kate's hand was suddenly on mine, stretched across the table between us. I looked up at her with bloodshot eyes, a singular tear sliding down my cheek. She was touching me, and I still felt football fields of space between us.


Her eyes, cool blue, not an emotion to be found in them. Calm, even waters. I was anything but. Her soft blond curls, her angular face. She looked so different and yet so the same. Sure, she was older now, but I still saw that girl that kissed me behind the bleachers, the girl I called Katie. I sat and stared at a woman that I loved, but a person that I didn't like at all. So, I told her the truth.


"You stabbed me," I finally choked out, pulling my arm back out of her reach. As I stood up and gathered my things, sloppily wiping at my wet cheeks as I did, she stared at me with a puzzled expression. 


"Wait-" Kate stood up as well, willing me to sit back down and explain myself. I could see she felt badly, but more for the fact that I was making a scene than my tears.


"I can’t ... You’re killing me," I said, swallowing another crashing wave of tears, hoping this time not to drown. 


July 06, 2022 15:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Emma G.
08:37 Jul 16, 2022

This story really hit home for me. The line "I sat and stared at a woman that I loved, but a person that I didn't like at all" hit me in an incredibly relatable way. I really loved reading this. Great work!

Reply

Brynn Helena
11:56 Jul 16, 2022

thank you emma!! it's wild how intricate human emotion can really be, huh? i appreciate you reading my work and taking the time to write a comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:49 Jul 06, 2022

WOW! LOVE IT! First of all-- lesbians. We love lesbians. Second-- betrayal. We love betrayal. Do I have any critiques? Kind of. I guess it seemed kind of blocky at first. here could be a but more dialogue. But that's just my opinion, it's wonderful for your first story!

Reply

Brynn Helena
22:34 Jul 06, 2022

thank you so much for the feedback i truly appreciate it!! <333

Reply

13:35 Jul 07, 2022

Anytime! Welcome to reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Steve Uppendahl
23:03 Jul 17, 2022

I really enjoyed your story. I love dialogue and solid description and your story has both. My favorite stories to read (and write) revolve around realistic conversation. You did an excellent job of showing the protagonist's emotions and the reasons behind them. I felt like I had a bead on the narrator. Kate, not so much. Her response to the opening line felt a bit off to me. And the line, "If I wanted to kill you, I would have done it by now" has been overdone and seemed odd for a normal(ish) person to say. But, that could just be me. I l...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ruth Smith
20:26 Jul 17, 2022

I enjoyed this story. Your characters are so vivid and relatable, and you do an awesome job of describing their emotions and facial expressions. Well done!

Reply

Brynn Helena
21:11 Jul 17, 2022

thank you so much ruth!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
01:27 Jul 15, 2022

Hi, Brynn! I loved both of your pieces, they're written so beautifully. For this one specifically, the emotions and descriptions were worded in a way that was super engaging. I loved reading your work! ~ Jasey

Reply

Brynn Helena
02:11 Jul 15, 2022

hello!!! thank you so much for taking time out of your day to read my work!! i appreciate it more than you know :) <3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:59 Jul 15, 2022

Of course! :) You're so welcome <333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
21:40 Jul 14, 2022

So we'll done. Your 2 stories are so different thematically, but I love them both. I like your examples of brief great things: like sunsets, season finals, or ice cream cones in July. I hope you write more so I can read more.

Reply

Brynn Helena
22:55 Jul 14, 2022

thank you so much!!! i'll definitely be writing more, your enthusiasm to read my work makes me so happy! :) i'm excited to read more from you as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Del Rio
22:58 Jul 14, 2022

A lot of my stories are part of an ongoing larger story. "SPECIAL INGREDIENT" for instance is the first chapter in a novella that I am working in self publishing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Russell Norman
03:47 Jul 14, 2022

Lots of relatable emotions for anyone who has loved, and lost. Great coming of age story. Would you be interesting in reading for us, on Blue Marble Storytellers? It would make to a great spoken story in the authors voice. (if so, e-mail me russell@bmpublish.com)

Reply

Brynn Helena
12:58 Jul 14, 2022

thank you so much!! <33

Reply

Russell Norman
13:24 Jul 16, 2022

Thanks for reading your story for us on Blue Marble Storytellers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
18:00 Jul 13, 2022

The tension built within this story was fantastic. I like the horror element without the actual horror as sometimes seeing people from our past as depicted in the story can be just as terrifying especially if there's unfinished business or feelings. Well done. You have a great way of describing emotions and the environment which really pulls me in as a reader. I look forward to more of your stories :)

Reply

Brynn Helena
18:09 Jul 13, 2022

i appreciate your feedback so much! thank you <333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L. E. Scott
14:28 Jul 13, 2022

These characters are so relatable and you have just enough of that spooky horror imagery without it being overkill. My favorite line was "Yet the nagging in my brain, buzzing like a bee trapped in my skull, that things ended too early never seemed to quiet."

Reply

Brynn Helena
14:29 Jul 13, 2022

thank you so much for reading!! :) <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:01 Jul 12, 2022

An interesting take on the painful sting of lost love, and of trying to recapture what only lives on in memories. There's not that much action in this scene, but it's loaded with emotion. The narrator is in a constant state of conflict. She wants to provoke Katie – to get her to smile, to get her angry, to get anything. She sees deep meaning in Katie's eyes, in her every motion (or lack of) but Katie doesn't tell us much, so we don't know how much is true and how much is assumed. This gives the narrator an unreliable quality, which is fi...

Reply

Brynn Helena
22:49 Jul 12, 2022

i'm so glad you felt all of the emotion i was meaning to portray with this piece! i actually had the dream that the narrator has in the story the night before i wrote this, crazy what can inspire us! thanks so much for reading, your feedback means the world <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:13 Jul 08, 2022

Hi Brynn! What an excellent piece of work! (I can see how much you worked on it) I love the way you developed the plot and characters with a great narration style. And this is your first story here! I can't wait for the others... Welcome to Reedsy. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Brynn Helena
16:22 Jul 08, 2022

thank you so much!!! <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
06:41 Jul 08, 2022

This is fabulous. You write beautiful descriptive prose that is almost poetic. I want to read more of your work.

Reply

Brynn Helena
12:53 Jul 08, 2022

thank you so much!! :,))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Esperanza Rivas
16:32 Jul 07, 2022

Awesome story! Love the dream, the characters, the ending...all so well put together. Last sentence--beautifully written, descriptive The descriptions are unique and interesting, and the relationship between the characters is so captivating. Favorite line: "My face stinging under the crisp December air that day, making my tears fall like hail, heavy and cold. Christmas never came that year for me, just a deep, dark winter."

Reply

Brynn Helena
18:00 Jul 07, 2022

so glad you enjoyed, thank you for reading!!! <333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
00:48 Jul 07, 2022

Agh! God, it’s so good! I wanna read a novel about this, I love your writing style so much! Just one thing, “ My face stringing under the crisp December air that day...” is that a typo with “stringing”?

Reply

Brynn Helena
01:13 Jul 07, 2022

first of all THANK YOU! and second of all, yes that's definitely a typo you're a lifesaver for pointing that out! <3

Reply

Claudia Morgan
18:22 Jul 07, 2022

No prob! Can’t wait to read your other stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
00:25 Jul 07, 2022

Yikes, you got me with this one! My mother thinks that we do not pay enough attention to dreams, and that they can reveal so many truths and intentions we won't admit. She would love your story, I think... Excellent work here! ;)

Reply

Brynn Helena
01:12 Jul 07, 2022

your mom sounds incredibly wise!! thanks so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:43 Jul 06, 2022

This scene is written really well! You have beautiful prose that flows smoothly. I esp enjoyed the humor of the life of pi paragraph. Look fwd to seeing any future stories you post on reedsy.

Reply

Brynn Helena
00:01 Jul 07, 2022

thank you so much :) <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ren B
20:09 Jul 06, 2022

Things that I loved about your story: - The opening line. I think you do a very good job in grabbing the reader's attention with that opening, and also it sets the tone for the entire story (kinda dark/oppresive). - I think it is written very well, I think you masterfully portray the emotions and feelings of the protagonist and your descriptions are vivid; it made me feel as if I was right there with the protagonist. Things that I, personally, would love to see in the story: - I feel like the story loses momemtum as it progresses, I would...

Reply

Brynn Helena
22:35 Jul 06, 2022

thank you :,) and thanks for your feedback!! i appreciate it so much <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.