The Sidekick who doesn't remember she's in love with a demon

Written in response to: Write about someone who is learning to recognize and take credit for their own achievements.... view prompt

14 comments

Romance Fantasy

“Asmodeus, princeps demonum, princeps vel edom. Age, nam satis longum tempus iussisti. Veni, et coniuge me in gloria mea et cum igne tuo gehenna me fac!” 

The candles blinked, as if to say and who are you again? I grumbled my annoyance and raised my hands higher, chanting louder. 

Veni ad me!” I shouted. Finally, a red glow emanated from the candles, flowing towards the center of the pentagram. The form grew, getting more solid with every second. In minutes, a man stood in the center of the pentagram, observing me seriously with amber eyes. He was tall and lanky, dressed in a white suit, with a bloodred red tie and a black rose in the lapel. His face was youthful, yet his eyes were ripe with age older than the gods themselves. His raven hair was cropped back in slight waves, not a hair out of place. A wreath of thorns adorned his head, the thorns piercing his tan skin, yet not a drop of blood. He was beautiful, gorgeous. I wanted his slim fingers to flip around my waist, those lush lips to trace mine. I wanted-no! He is a demon. The prince of demons. The demon of lust, might I add. He regarded me coolly, eyes shining as if he could read my thoughts. I took a breath before speaking. 

“Bow down to me, demon! I am Bia the benevolent, the one who summoned you out of your abyss of misery. Kneel to me!,” I cried. I stared at him, waiting for him to oblige. He stared back, his amber eyes glittering with malice. “Kneel!” I repeated, inserting every inch of force I had. He merely cocked his head. “Wh-why aren't you kneeling?” I demanded, narrowing my eyes. He threw his head back and laughed. The sound was more precious than a diamond. It sounded raw and pure, almost like he hasn’t laughed in centuries. 

“Ah, mortal. You are one of the few who have amused me,” he chuckled, still smiling, flashing perfect white teeth. I sighed inwardly. Why are all the gorgeous men impossible? “What did you say your name was?” he asked, sounding genuine. 

“Bia the benevolent, daughter of Brialin and Akrin Lollio, the greatest magicians of all time. I have-” Asmodeus raised his hand, silencing me. 

“I asked your name, not your history,” he chuckled, like I was a child. He cocked his head again, amber eyes never leaving mine. “Bia, your name sake, is after the Greek goddess of force and might, no?” 

“I-uh-yes?” I stammered. Really, it was just because it was short and easy, but his version sounded better. He nodded, slightly, like he approved. 

“One of the lowly goddesses, but still much admired.”

“Um-thanks?” I stammered. He nodded again, eyes traveling around the room. 

“Now, why did you call me forth out of my ‘abyss of misery’ as you call it. I have other duties I could attend to, you know.” 

“Then why didn't you go?” I snapped, instantly regretting it as he laughed again. My damned teenage attitude, Master Robin would call it. I was his apprentice, his helper, his sidekick. I would never have my own spotlight. My name would never be recognized like his. Robin Allalie. The greatest summoner of all time. He could summon demons, angels, even the ancient gods of Greece and Rome. He had a power so great that even the most infamous demons are curious to obey his call. He told me I would learn to call beings just as great. Master Robin was away for the week, so I figured I could attempt to call forth the particular demon that has captivated my mind for months now. And here he was, in my penegram that I drew, laughing at my stubbornness and my attitude. 

“You, great goddess, are my highlight of this century,” he affirmed, smiling. 

“Gee, thanks,” I muttered. He only grinned. 

“So-” he asked, pacing the inside of his pentagram. “Why did you call me? I’m sure it wasn’t just to have a chit-chat.” He stopped and looked back at me, smiling faintly. God, he was beautiful. I looked down at my feet, trying to find the right answer to the prince of hell. 

“I-I wanted to know if I could do it,” I answered finally. He cocked his head, waiting for more. “If I could call forth a greater being, like yourself.” He considered this before finally answering with a gentle voice. 

“ But why me, Bia, why not the other, more famous demons, why not Lucifer himself, or my brothers, Mammon and Levithan, the Princes of greed and envy. Surely those two can assist you more than I can.” He straightened up, his eyes glowing with a brighter amber before dimming back to normal. “I sense no trace of illegal desire in your heart or your soul. So why me?” 

“I- I really don’t know. You’ve just been haunting my mind and my dreams so-so I thought you wanted me to summon you.” I answered meekly. My cheeks burned with embarrassment. I sounded so childish. What was I thinking, summoning a demon just to prove I could. And admitting that to Asmodeus himself. Stupid, foolish. Why do I always want the spotlight when I don’t need it?  

His eyes flashed with concern. “Dreams? I haven’t sent any dreams to you, Bia.” I shuddered when he said my name. It sounded so perfect when he said it. Then I blinked. He was in a pentagram. His powers shouldn’t work on me. Or anyone, for that matter. Then I realized. I never binded him to me. He was free to leave or to use his powers. Fuck. 

“Don’t use your powers on me, demon!” I shrieked, backing up away from the pentagram. A pure look of confusion passed over his voice, then he looked down and realized. 

“I didn’t realize I was,” he replied, sounding hurt. Or was it my imagination? “But really, Bia. I didn’t send any dreams to you and I didn't ask to be summoned, though I’m grateful you did,” he added hastily. His amber eyes were wide and raw with genuine concern. I really wanted to believe him, and a part of me did. But he was a Prince of Hell, they could never be trusted. He nodded sadly, like he read my mind. 

“Bia, who-”

“Don’t say my name!” I snapped, hating myself instantly. The look of hurt that entombed his face was enough to pierce my heart with shame and regret. The look was gone almost as soon as it appeared. His face then turned into a look of cruelness. 

“Well then, master, what can I do for you?” His lip curled back into a sneer as he kneeled down. His knees landed hard on the oak wood and he looked up at me, his eyes burning bright. The flickering candlelight cast his angular face in shadows. His teeth were bared as if it pained him to kneel down, it probably did. So why did he do it?

“Why are you kneeling? You shouldn’t be?” I asked aburbtly. God damn my impulsive curiousness. Another thing Robin would say. Ugg, I hate getting old. He looked up at me, cocking his head like a viper examining his prey just before striking. 

“Isn't this what you wanted? To summon a demon and bind him to you?”

“I mean, yeah but-” 

“Or maybe you just wanted proof that you're not just a measly little sidekick to a little sideshow,” he spat, standing up slowly. His voice was full of venom as he said the words, which lodged themselves into my heart. 

“I don’t need proof!” I countered defensively. He laughed again, this time sarcastically. 

“Right,” he said dryly. “So what do you want?” 

“I want to know why you’ve been in my dreams. I see your face everytime I close my eyes and I wake up to find your name on my lips. Why?” He rolled his eyes in annoyance, but the tight lines in his face did soften. 

“I told you, I don’t know. I didn't send you any. There wasn’t any way I could’ve. I don't have any connections to you. Especially because you aren't feeling any lust, which is my domain. If you were feeling greed or envy, you would’ve had my brothers in your dreams. But not I.” 

“Can you help me, Asi, please?” I clamped my mouth shut as soon as I said it. I don’t know where that came from. I would never dream of giving a prince of hell a nickname. My god, what's happening to me? His face cracked when I said his name. Tears came pouring down my face as I buried my face in my hands. He stepped forward, but hesitated at the end of the pentagram. He waved at it absently, looking at me. 

“May I-” I nodded, waving my hands over the flames. 

Remitto te a me. Ut onto ubi opus sit.” I chanted. As soon as I was done, the flames flickered out, dousing us in darkness. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to be met with glowing amber eyes. I just released a Demon from Edom. I’m going to hell, I decided. 

“Bia-” he started, but I stopped him. I raised a hand to his cheek and I felt his warm soft skin under my finger tips. He leaned his face into my touch, closing his eyes. 

“It’s you isn't it. The boy who saved me from the bridge,” I whispered, scared to ruin the moment. He nodded, opening his eyes. “You brought me to Robin, knowing what he could do and told him to train me. You visited me in my dreams, but made them so I couldn’t remember.” He nodded again. "Why did you lie to me?"

"I needed you to remember on your own. I can't force myself onto someone I lo-" He almost choked on the last word. "Someone I love," he finished.

"Why not?"

"Because it's not in my nature. It's not what I'm made for. I'm made for Lust and desire and passion. I can make someone lust after me or I can lust after others. But not Love someone. Like I do you."

"If you love me, then why did you only visit me in dreams?"

“I visited you in person as well, but I wiped those as well,” he answered. He put a hand on my forehead and suddenly, memories flooded over me. His hand in mine as we walked the streets of town. Us sailing into the sun. His hands on my bare skin and his lips tracing my body, every curve and inch. I felt his love and desire for me, so strong, my heart nearly burst. I remembered all those nights under the stars, sneaking away under Robin's watchful gaze. I remember the promises he made to come back for me. I remember. 

I looked up at him in awe. He smiled gently. 

“I asked Robin to train you as his sidekick, so if you ever remembered me, you could summon me. And I knew once you summoned me, I could stay.” He paused, looking down at me. “If you wanted me too.” I hesitated, thinking. 

“Would you love me?” I asked. He nodded. “Would you stay?” Another nod. “Would you hurt me?” He shook his head. “Would I be yours, and you, mine?” He nodded again, smiling this time. “Then stay.” I said. He grinned and put his hands on my head, drawing me close. 

“Ah, Bia. I love you,” he said. Then he kissed me. Like I remember. 



April 27, 2023 13:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Richard E. Gower
22:36 Apr 30, 2023

I am a sucker for a love story. Well done. -:) Cheers! RG

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
00:30 Apr 29, 2023

Well done. You say you are so young but you can't tell that by your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
14:02 Apr 28, 2023

Bravo! For someone who isn’t into fantasy, summoning up creatures and romance, I was surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. Love the way you captured the teenage impulsiveness plus hesitation of Bia. Nicely done. 👏

Reply

Olivia Rozanski
17:45 Apr 28, 2023

Thank you! I wrote with personal experience lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jody S
18:17 Apr 27, 2023

Your story is beautifully written. You have done a wonderful job with character development and your use of dialogue. The last line threw me off a little because it wasn't as lyrical as the rest of the story. Perhaps it could have been in his voice gently reminding her of what she has done and what it means. Looking forward to reading more of your works!! Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Olivia Rozanski
11:29 Apr 28, 2023

Thank you! I'm actually going to edit that right now.

Reply

Jody S
14:33 Apr 28, 2023

The end is much better!! Good luck with the contest!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Murray Burns
20:23 May 04, 2023

Very nice. (It was about time- just kidding.) I hope your team is doing well and you aren't getting beaned too often. I think I told you...our high school softball field is less than a 1/4 mile from my house, so I've been able to catch quite a few games. The games are great! Good luck and keep writing!!!

Reply

Olivia Rozanski
11:31 May 09, 2023

My team is doing good! Only got hit once so far. District Tournaments are this weekend. IF we win those, we go to sectionals. We've tied once and won the rest. I think we have a pretty good chance at going to state

Reply

Murray Burns
01:35 May 10, 2023

I caught our high school girls' softball game tonight. I'm really impressed with how good they are! I bet you guys are pretty good too. You may not believe this, but when I was in high school, the girls had NOTHING...(I'm an old guy) seriously...there were no girls sports. It has come a long way! I have 2 daughters who played a number of sports... Good luck this weekend!

Reply

Olivia Rozanski
12:05 May 10, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Murray Burns
14:33 May 12, 2023

Swing hard in case you hit it. Good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
14:20 May 02, 2023

Humor and horror/fantasy is a great combo — I prefer Jordan Peele or shows like Severance or Fringe to most of the somber, thudding litany of relentlessly dark exorcism/zombie movies, You had me laughing out loud at the right points — the juxtaposition of supernatural mystique and sensual detail with Bia’s sporadic cynicism and will is gold. Fun! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Panasitti
13:44 May 01, 2023

Enchanting. A "Sorcerer's Apprentice" for the YA crowd.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.