56 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult American

"Hi, good morning,” I shouldn't be so excited, but I am. I like him no I love him.


“Hm,” he says.


“You look stressed, is everything alright?”


“The exams are around the corner I want to score well. I want to secure a place in the college I want.”


I take his hands and rub my fingers over his knuckles. I know he loves it when I do it for him.


“Aryaman you work hard, you practice and you revise. So no one is going to stop you from entering your dream college, Ok?”


He smiles, which melts my heart.


 Yes, I'm in love with him.


I sit next to him he's cute and hot at the same time. I take out my lunch box I'm hungry as hell.


I have the usual salad and a cube of cheese. I'm on a diet because, in a fashionable sense, I'm fat. I'm about to dig in but, Aryaman swipes the box towards him, in seconds he munched my food down his throat.


“You know my routine, first I measure and eat my things according to their calorific value. My diet is very light, which you ate right away.”


“I'm hungry and I wanted to eat,” he says.


“This is the only thing I have for my lunch, you know I can't eat anything apart from this.”


“See, I did not recommend a diet to you so, it's none of my business. By the way, how will it help, you won't look beautiful just by losing some pounds?”


I froze, my ears couldn't believe that Aryaman spoke so harshly with me. I was angry, on top I have to stay hungry for 4 hours straight.


I was throwing things in my basket. My empty stomach was making my brain go foggy. He knew that I was on a strict diet not to become beautiful but to cure my PCOS. He knew it, but I think the exam is stressing him out.


I reach the billing counter. The queue is big and my stomach is short on patience.


“Will someone show remorse to a girl whos been hungry for the past 6 hours"? I grunt out.


People throw glances at me, and the guy at the counter gawks. This day couldn’t get any worse.


“Well, you can take my place. I don’t have many items.”


 I nod and go ahead in the line, turn, and thank him.


Dev was a below-average student, a class clown, and a daydreamer. He was not interested in studies nor in the competitive exam that he was enrolled for. He was a wannabe influencer and photographer. I never talked with him cause the topper group never interacted with other people and most of the time I was busy pleasing someone else.


“Total amount 550 rupees,” the counter guy said.


“I dig my hand into the coat pocket but, to my dismay, I find out that I forgot my wallet, drops of sweat form over my forehead.


“You know the rules mam,” he puts down my basket, my hunger is turning into despair and my craving into tears.


“Here take it,” Dev hands the amount to the guy behind the counter and smiles at me.


We are out of the store, with my mouth stuffed with wafers. My stomach was dancing with salts, and my taste buds were intoxicated with spices.


“Thank you very much,” and a piece of wafer flies out of my mouth on his sweater.


We both giggle at the same time. His eyes have sparkle which I never noticed.


“Well I like your haircut,’’ he says.


“How did you notice? I thought it didn’t make a difference.”


“Sometimes you need to have a perspective to admire the beauty.”


I feel a sudden rush of blood blooms up my cheek.


Wait! It’s the line from my blog. I cough, I think the wafer got stuck into my esophagus.


He takes out his water bottle from his backpack and hands me over. I jug down the water in seconds sudden anxiety takes over me.


“How do you know this line?’’ my throat was getting parched.


“I'm an investigative director, give me some credit for it. I noticed the things you liked and the characters you loved from your Instagram post. Linking everything I found your secret story blog, which I regularly follow with a fake name.”


I was dazzled, I was perplexed.


“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” I ask.


“Because your thoughts were preoccupied with the things that did not require your attention,” a line from one of my stories. I could sense that he was hinting towards Aryaman.


“Thank you for reading my stories. I would love your feedback on it.” I felt a slight tinge in my heart.


“Of course, can I tell you something?” I see slight fear in his eyes.


“Yes, you can.”


“He doesn’t value you nor your friendship respects your feelings. I would punch his face if I was you, for his reaction in this morning.”I see his wrist ball up with his knuckles pointing out.


“It's okay, I think I found my perspective.” I give him an assuring smile. He smiles at me, and I regret not noticing him sooner.


I make a decision, that to be friends with Dev, I sit with him in class, we solve physics problems with each other, we are making notes together, we are studying together late at night on skype. So you must be wondering about Aryaman. Nowadays, he seems to a lot pissed of because with the constant touch-up of happiness from Devs friendship I have become stress-free. With my stress gone, now I'm scoring better, I'm ranking number one in the class test with Dev in the top five. He was no longer a below-average student, nor he was the lazy mellow that he used to be. Aryaman had his temper flying now, I used to see him glaring and gawking at us. A strange rage had occupied his mind, sometimes he would send me mean texts, sometimes he would cross his limits. I distanced myself from him and began to focus on my studies more.


The exams were coming near and the pressure was building up, Dev was always there for me during my panic attacks or when I was feeling low. With him, I realized the true meaning of friendship and maybe I even understood the meaning of love. I couldn’t think I would live without him for a second and thinking about this made me more stressed.


“Hey, did you solve the organic chemistry problems?’ I ask Dev. We were supposed to solve worksheets, and I think he wasn’t serious about it.


“No, I thought to take a break today.”


“Did you even discuss it with me?” I ask him by shooting invisible arrows from my eyes.


“Y…oo..u are so serious about studies, so I thought maybe I should keep you away from my plans.”


“Now I'm not included in your plans too.”


“It's just for a day sugar, I thought you would be pissed about my idea. You are so serious about your studies."


When he called me “SUGAR” my cheeks caramelized and my lips trembled. I couldn't stop the tears that were forming in my eyes. Words were stuck on my tongue and were afraid to come out. I breathed deeply and relaxed my shoulders, I asked.


“What if we get different colleges after the exam?”


He stares at me for a few seconds like a Lab puppy.


“Let's go,” he packs my bag and takes my hand and locked his fingers with mine, and whispered in my ear.


“It’s a surprise.”


He brought me to St Mary's church. The church was famous for its Christmas celebrations and carols. The whole church was decorated with Christmas trees and lights. It was beautiful, we went inside, there was a group of girls who were practicing carol with a nun.


We sat in the third row paying attention to them for a few seconds, and strange silence knocks the space between us. He took my palm and kissed my knuckles.


“Do you know why I brought you here?” he asked.


I had no sense to answer him with words, so I shook my head.


“Because you can't lie in the church nor hide your feelings. And you wouldn’t dare to slap me here.”


“Why I would do that?”


His lips quivered, and the finger which was wrapped around mine went numb. He laughed a little and then turned his face towards me.


“I think I'm in love with you.” and this time my fingers became numb.


“ I love you. I love you from the first day of class, I loved the haircut you did, I love your pink ruffle top, I love your blogs, your posts, your drawing. I love it when you bite your lip when you realize that you made a mistake in your problem. I love the way you eat, with your eyes dancing in ecstasy, I love when you make those slurping sounds while drinking strawberry shakes. I love the warmth of your hands and the waves of your hair. I just cannot imagine a day living without you, every time you are near I want to catch your hand and don’t want you to go. I want you to be my girlfriend.”


His face is blank, his eyes stream with tears and his hands tremble. I cup his face in my hands and stare into his honey brown eyes, and say.


“I love you more.”


His eyes shine and shout, “What?”


“Yes I love you Dev, not from the first day, but I realized that I was so wrong to not notice you. I can't bear someone else being your girlfriend.”


“So, is that a yes?” his voice echoes in the church and the choir stops its practice, I nod.


He squeals in happiness, and the nun gives him a death glare. We run from there and come to the back yard of the church. We are laughing like maniacs.


He grabs my wrist and pulls me towards him.


“Am I a distraction to you, to your goals?”


I reply, “no, actually.” I fix his mopped hair which was falling on his brows.


“As Antonella is to Messie and Melinda to Bill Gates. You are my strength, my hope, and my love. I wouldn’t be afraid ever in my life if I knew that you were standing beside me. You are my supersonic engine, my medium to my dreams and goals.”


He laughs and stares into my eyes, he glides his thumb on my cheek and says.


“I promise to work hard and never disappoint you. I will put effort into my exams and ensure that we both get admitted to the same college. I won't ever let you down.”


I smile with a strange tinge on my cheek. He seems to copy me by blushing hard, a sudden but strange warmth rushes on our fingertips. A strange emotion has surrounded us. Something cold lands on my cheek, when I move my eye to search for its source, I see small flakes of snow falling. We both giggle and catch the cold snowflakes with our warm palms.


He pushes away my wavy brown hair from my ears and whispers with a warm breath.


“Did you see what's above our heads?”


I lift my chin to observe what he mentioned. Mistletoe, my cheeks turn into every shade of red that I ever knew.


“Do you like traditions?” he asks in a soft voice.


“No, but I am willing to learn from you,” my answer makes him smile, and his eyes sparkle.


We lean in and kiss with tenderness and soft cusps. Amid snow, jingles, and carols, we embark on a new journey.


December 17, 2020 06:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Radhika Diksha
08:59 Dec 17, 2020

So something is missing in the story. Did you find it? Whoever finds out the missing thing will be named in my next story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
08:58 Dec 17, 2020

Hi, everybody. So I want to thank the people who follow me, who give me honest feedback, and who are there for me always. So I'm going to answer all your answers this month regarding my stories and about me. Do comment below and I would answer all your queries.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Raquel Rodriguez
14:29 Dec 21, 2020

Hi! I love the story, and I totally agree with Orenda about the characters and the grammar. It's sort of the first thing my hawk eyes focused on, lol. I feel like your dialogue may be a bit unrealistic at times, but maybe that's just me. Now to my advice: '“You know the rules mam,”' ~ Of course, it's ma'am, simple mistake lol 'my hunger was turning into despair, and my cravings into tears.' ~ I know this story is in present-tense, and 'was' is a past-tense variable, so you should replace it with 'is.' 'You are so serious about your s...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:34 Dec 21, 2020

Thank you so much. You and Ori have been helping me to improve my weaker areas, I do use Grammarly and I have found out that it doesn't point out the mistakes properly. Coming to the dialogues, can you tell me in what ways they sound unrealistic. It will help me improve a lot more.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:04 Dec 21, 2020

You're welcome! Yeah, that's why I use Grammarly and many other sites too. Well, the dialogue sounds a tad bit forced. People usually use A LOT of contractions. For example, you could take this piece of dialogue: '“Did you see what is above our head?”' I would turn this sentence into: '"Do you see what's above our heads?"'

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:21 Dec 21, 2020

Which sites do you use? Apart from grammarly.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
18:29 Dec 21, 2020

I use Ginger a bit, and I've heard a lot of people use Hemingway.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:35 Dec 21, 2020

ok, even these are free apps?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
14:43 Dec 21, 2020

I made the mentioned correction. I would like to thank you again for putting a lot of time into my story. I wanted to ask you one question, can I ask?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
15:34 Dec 21, 2020

Alright, it's no problem. I don't usually do that much correction, lol. I feel drained, Sure, ask away! I mean, I'll see if I can answer or not.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
16:01 Dec 21, 2020

You have mentioned in two stories that my dialogue seems to be unrealistic. Can you site the reasons for it? I'm going to ask you for the last time, so don't worry. Love you for the grammar correction.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:24 Dec 21, 2020

Yeah, I have above. People usually use contractions, and don't use formal language at all, so you should change that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Orenda .
12:52 Dec 19, 2020

Grammar Nazi has arrived! Aw, this story is so adorable. You write your characters ably. The plot is engaging, for sure. And your dialogues are pretty realistic; one of the most appreciable things about your writing. Now onto improving your grammar. Here I go: Hi good morning,” I shouldn't be so excited but I am. --> you missed the opening quote. “Hey, are you okay? You seem to be kinda stressed.” --> omit "to be". It's correct with "you seem stressed" The thing here is to omit any literal verb. I have the usual salad and a cube of che...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:40 Dec 19, 2020

I love you so much. Thank you for the amazing and constructive feedback. I want you to rip my story and criticize it to death. Lol, I know the line became violent. Thank you for your time, your opinion show your love for us. {I know it's weird but if you hate any of my stories ever, please give me harsh criticism. I love your opinion and would never judge your intentions.}

Reply

Orenda .
13:49 Dec 19, 2020

Aw, stop it you. I hope it was helpful, though. Haha, I'll spare no effort. I can't bring myself to "hate" any story. There aren't any here to detest, they're all so unique in their own way. Your stories are beautiful but yeah, I'll be laborious in helping you improve. My stories aren't god-tier level either, no one's is but I want good for every writer :D

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:10 Dec 19, 2020

That's so grateful of you.

Reply

Orenda .
14:15 Dec 19, 2020

My pleasure :D

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:20 Dec 19, 2020

I would love to collab with you, for this week's prompt. Can you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
08:06 Dec 29, 2020

Hi Radhika! I liked reading this story! I have never tried writing romance before, and you have pulled it off so well! Your story was really enjoyable! Keep it up, and happy writing!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
08:19 Dec 29, 2020

thanks. Maybe we should collab some day for a romantic story.

Reply

Akshaya ✨
11:10 Dec 29, 2020

Sure, we can do that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
02:50 Dec 18, 2020

It was a very sweet story! However I feel like the dialogue where they confess their love to each other could be more realistic and less forced.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:10 Dec 18, 2020

Thank you for the feedback and for your time on my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
23:45 Dec 21, 2020

Aww, this was such a cute story! I loved how the romance you developed, and I adored the voice of the narrator - very distinct and likeable. I like how she didn't just get with the first guy she interacts with, she had to go through a whole process of finding the right person for her, and in the end, she did, which is so sweet. I think the others have already pointed out some things that you can improve on, so I'll just stick with my compliments. Love this holiday-themed story, Radhika! Amazing work. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
17:56 Dec 17, 2020

This story is awesome! Very nice use of the prompt. I did find some mistakes: "Hi good morning,” I shouldn't be so excited but I'm." (I think you meant "I am".) "He knew that I was on a strict diet not to become beautiful but to cure by PCOD." (I think you meant "to be cured".) “I forgot my wallet can you please take the amount next time,” (Just put a comma between my and wallet.) "We both giggle at the same time, his eyes have sparkle which I never noticed." (Sparkles?) "I jug down the water in seconds sudden anxiety takes over me." ("in s...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:07 Dec 17, 2020

Thankyou so much for the constructive critisisim. Thanks

Reply

Ari Berri
18:08 Dec 17, 2020

No problem. You're a great author!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:10 Dec 17, 2020

You can ask me any question, i will answer it.

Reply

Ari Berri
18:10 Dec 17, 2020

What books do you like?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:12 Dec 17, 2020

Elenor and Park. Fault in our stars. Turtle all the way down. Jane Eyre Harry Potter {Series}

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
17:57 Dec 23, 2020

I loved this sososo much! Keep up the great work!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
17:50 Dec 17, 2020

Hmm, I couldn't find what was missing, but I did love this story regardless! I loved the complexity of the characters and the way you made it work with the prompt!! Well done!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:08 Dec 17, 2020

Well, I will tell it soon. Thanks for reading and for your feedback. Well if you have any questions for me please do ask?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:20 Dec 17, 2020

ok - no, I don't have any questions!! It was a great story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pepe <3
14:56 Nov 16, 2021

I really liked this story, the plot was amazing! (in my opinion)

Reply

Show 0 replies
User_2443 0967
16:46 Mar 09, 2021

Omg I love romance x Christmas stories and you wrote this so beautifully, Radhika! Awesome work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Skyler Woods
17:20 Jan 05, 2021

Wow! This was so delightfully romantic. You can't go wrong when you combine the holidays with romance. I loved Aryaman and Dev! All of your characters seemed three dimensional.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:22 Jan 05, 2021

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:25 Jan 01, 2021

Ahhh Radhika! This was soooo cute! I actually find it funny how different people describe love in a different way. I loved your characters and how they are so honest with each other. I loved that you made the character face a few troubles before finding Dev! It was so great! I believe Orenda and Raquel have already pointed out alot of what I wanted to critique so I will just grace you with compliments! You have great ideas for your stories! But one thing I would say is make sure to check your grammar sometimes, I think it will help get you...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
05:34 Jan 01, 2021

Happy new year. Happiness and health be always in your life. Thanks for the comment and for sure I will keep improving my grammar.

Reply

05:53 Jan 01, 2021

Happy new year Radhika! Same to you!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
06:09 Jan 01, 2021

Why are you not coming up with a new story?

Reply

22:58 Jan 01, 2021

Haha has it really been that long? Well...for one. I haven't been feeling like doing anything lately but I readd! And 2 I don't like the prompts. And the prompts seem to be up there forever!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:07 Jan 07, 2021

Hi, Radhika! I love the way you incorporated the romance within this story. Other people seem to have gone deeply into the grammatical errors, so I won't. Overall, though, this was really sweet. Great job! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.