1 comment

Friendship

Lydia Googled it one day out of curiosity: Lifeline was founded in Sydney, New South Wales, in 1963 by the late Sir Alan Walker after a call from a distressed man who three days later took his own life. Determined not to let loneliness, isolation and anxiety be the cause of other deaths, Walker launched a crisis (telephone) line which initially operated out of the Methodist Central Mission (Wikipedia).

Today, Lydia was there in one of their thrift shops searching for a mirror that would suit her bedroom. Her budget allowed her to spend twenty dollars, no more, on the item. Bric-a-brac was right at the back wall of the large warehouse. The high ceilings and incandescent flourescent light left that corner in shallow darkness like an attic with a door edging open.


All the mirrors were placed on the floor and lent on an angle against the bare timber. They had cobwebs and were dusty to touch. Quite a few mirrors today but none really had the appeal Lydia was searching for. Yes, there was an almost new rectangular mirror - 50 dollars! Another had antique plastic frame - 15 dollars, still heavy for the hook her bedroom wall hook. Another perfect for eyebrow plucking, hairdos, application of makeup and Blackhead removal; 28 dollars.A clutter of old painting frames marked Lydia's feeling of disappointment. They were meshed together like a box of tarnished, old wire coat hangers. Maybe next time! 


A she turned to leave a piece of carved wood blinked a sliver of light. Could it be a mirror? She squatted. Wincing a small dirt covered mirror out of the mess. Hmm it felt the right weight! Then uncurling, the weary sticker, price said in thick black marker pen, a very large 5 dollars! 


How exciting! More investigation needed. Standing up, the carved texture of the oval wooden frame could be felt. Curious, angling the frame towards the display windows light, Lydia picked out some of the soil build-up with her fingernails. A glint of light arrowed her eye, moving her attention from what appeared to have an old floral Indian flavour to the mirror itself! 


She could see some damage, like a crack and carefully feeling some small chips of glass. She pulled out a clean hanky from her bra and breathed on the grubby mess. Rubbing, it turned into a thick gradated smudge, the kind one experiences when a large truck passes you on a rainy country road and one has to use the window cleaner with the wipers on the car windscreen.


She was buying it. The checkout had a line of people. Lydia scanned the area, no one else was approaching the wait. Hmm, enough time to duck over to the ladies coats hanger - 5 dollars for a chipped mirror left 15 dollars spending money! That knitted knee length Cardy, two small could be visibly mended with a heart and flower embroidery. And still her pocket would have 10 dollars left!


Home, pussy cat, inquisitively smooged Lydia from the bathroom bench as she washed the mirror with a mixture of warm water and salt. She did not have any vinegar in the cupboard and decided salt would help clean and sanitize it. She pulled out the plug and let the soot water out. Running warm water from the tap to finish. Rubbing with an old dry towel it looked clean sparkle but still needed to be placed in sunlight to dry thoroughly.


The veranda was a good drying place, even in the winter Lydia's thick cotton work pants would dry with a little patience. However, there were those two weeks of cold, when a trip to the laundromat would avoid mould and mosquitos laying eggs in the miserable wet clothing, leaving the pants to shrink and Lydia questioning if she was in denial or really needed to go on a diet!


That afternoon the mirror frame dried. Lydia took out what she called her "Girl Fix" - red nail polish! Years ago it worked on the car dent where a bit of metal was showing; no rust ever started! She pulled out the brush from the bottle letting the polish drop into the chip. And in some medium dense brush strokes filled the crack, leaving it to dry and air.


That nite it hung in Lydia's bedroom. It was cool enough to have the heater on the timer for 15 minutes. By now with a pink filter formed and hardened around the damaged area, reflecting a feminine appeal that represented Lydia's bohemian taste. But that's not all it reflected. 


Ada - the cat- like all cats - liked warmth. The end of the single bed put her in direct line with the warm air and mirror. Lydia opened the door to have Ada jump and do a skittish scatter around the small room. 'Ada come on' Carrying the cat she hopped into bed pulling the covers around her and then patting and cuddling Ada till purrs replied.


A hundred tales of Arabian nights occured in shadowy dreams of good and evil, enough to wake with a headache! Half asleep, half in pain Lydia stumbled to the toilet. Ada staying in the warm bed waited the hear the cues if the paper roll ratling and toilet flush before her meowing harassment for food. 


Coffee made, cat quiet Lydia went to the top drawer under her mirror for her meds. She had been clinically depressed for sometime. After escaping a mentally abusive relationship, black dog set in. So now a few years later it was a stable morning routine. Taking the tablet out of the sheet she automatically looked admiring her bargain. Reflecting was her usual morning look of messy crown bun, old fluffy dressing gown neckline and pale skin. You should go on a diet and get some perfume Lydia replied to herself, except it was not her thoughts! Lydia's eyes widened and she threw the tablet to the back of her throat swallowing it dry. No, she must have been seeing things! The mirror did not speak. My God, it must be a migraine causing something! 


"Yes dummy, no wonder your single, no man would want what you showed me in the morning..." Lydia stepped back took a deep breath letting out a Ahh. The thick masculine snarl continued, "...and the snoring and farting would suffocate even the mildest of temperament. You're a cat lady at 34 years old Ha ha ha!" 


Lydia did not know whether to grab another tablet or now add hallucinations and hearing voices to her mental health concerns! In front of her was a mysogynist representation of herself with a middle eastern accent. 


With what sounded like an intruder Ada the Rottweiler appeared, well that's how she saw herself in a female dominated house! Lydia was shaking. What could be seen by Ada's third eye, yes, Siamese cats have a developed pineal gland which allows them to see into spirit world. So Ada saw a ectoplasmic trace, similar to a smeer of petroleum jelly over camera lense. Widening and intensifying her aperture the spectre started evaporating. The sulphur residue remained.


The headache was so bad Lydia called in sick for work. Facebook wall hurt. All music was too loud. With curtains pulled Lydia lay in a darkened room. Her mind was feeling like a prison. Ada lay on a floor rug alert as if watching a mouse till mother's painkillers kicked in bringing her sleep.


Weeks passed and Lydia was still having restless sleep. Although tired she managed to make it thru work her work days. The mirror had stayed quiet under the guard of the cat!  Even when a softly spoken work mate asked if the chair was vacant in the lunchroom. Lydia did not mind, "Yer go ahead" and that was about all she remembered that day.


Months passed and Lydia paid more attention to her health and work-life balance. The good food and exercise had slimmed her. She had given up cigarettes too! There they were on her veranda, drinking wine watching the Strawberry moon. 


Amir never lost his politeness and his deep middle eastern accent was sexy. He was a first generation Australian. Lydia's bedroom had been rearranged to cater a double bed. And that mirror had been relocated to the east wall. Lydia glanced at it before turning off the light. Moonbeams streamed through the room and a motion bumped the mirror on, "See it told you so fatty!" Lydia retorted, "Shut up!" Amir stirred in the bed, "Did you say something in Arab darling?" Oh no Amir, not at all, she answered whilst enteribg the bed taking foetal position for an intimate snuggle. He whispered, "I love you and your body".












July 03, 2021 01:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
18:56 Jul 10, 2021

Interesting story. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.