Look Up.

Written in response to: Set your story beyond our own world.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction

Garret, my best friend, was talking to me about endless stupid knowledge. I don't care about his game being canceled. I like the rain in all honesty. I just nod. It's not a bummer for me. I'm a girl, so I can't try out for the boy's football team. The coach is super strict. Like really strict. To the point where he makes up rules on the field during practice. I've been to a few of the practices.

I stand and say bye. I have to go home. Garret says bye. He doesn't have to be home by five. I do. It's four forty-five. My house is ten minutes away. I get home in nine minutes instead because I ran for a minute or so. We have dinner early, five. So I helped my mom set the table and I pray over the food for her. We finish with dinner, I do the dishes and my homework. Just math.

I clean my room and take a shower. I had gym today. I have it every other day. We're playing basketball right now. It's ok. Not everyone on my team is good. Just half of us. Including me, as basketball is my number one sport. I get dressed in some pajamas and climb into bed. My mom did sheets today. I can tell because my sheets were white and now they're green. These also smell like our linen closet. Which smells like dryer sheets.

I look at social media on my phone and then went to bed. I texted Garret good night and went to bed. I drifted off pretty slowly. And the last thing I remember was a voice saying, "I know it, sir. It's her." Then, I was completely unconscious. I had weird dreams as I slept. Like I was moving. You know those dreams where in your dream you have to pee and in real life, you have to pee. It was like that. Except in my dream, I had to stand the entire time. And when I woke up, I heard the same voice that said something before I went to bed the night before.

"Look up," the voice said. I look straight up, and I see the absolute best night sky. I see planets passing past me. Like big planets passing me like trees on the side of the road when you're going fifty miles per hour. I'm super confused about where I am. I think I ask where am I, but I couldn't remember. I hear more voices. "Look down," said the voice again. I look down. I'm on glass or something. And I see weird silver people below me.

I scream. "It is the chosen one!" The voice says again. All of them cheer. I scream again. Now everyone is bowing. I'm super confused. What am I the chosen one for silver people aliens? The voice speaks again. "You, human, have been chosen to fight the Helio. You are our last hope and only chance at getting our planet back. Only a human can touch it. One-touch, and it's dead. You were chosen because you are more than perfect."

"What about my family, or my friends? Is their food in here, I'm starving. And chaining you so-called chosen one to your ship is no way to treat me if you want me to do something for you." They all look at the person who is talking to me with dirty, disapproving looks. I try hard not to laugh. My chains are released though. I smile and thank them. They inform me that a decoy of myself was going to be me for the day.

They also informed me that Helio was a monster, usually green but sometimes blue, and could destroy an entire planet. If I didn't touch it, then there would be more. The Helios can spread and make more of themselves if they finish a planet. To protect my home planet of Earth, I had not many other choices but to defeat Helio or let it replicate on Earth. Being extremely advanced colonization, they were able to get everything in order for them to get me to help them out by defeating this and having the resources to get me. Led by the voice, whose name I learned to be Seargeant.

They sent a roll of bread and a glass of water into my chamber. For space food, it wasn't bad. Eventually, we got to the planet. I look up. The Helio is a giant space monster, also in silver. I remind myself I had to touch it, that's it. They distracted it. I ran and stuck my finger out. Poof. Gone. Everyone cheers again. They lift me on my shoulders. We had a feast and had a joyous time. And then I remember my family. I urge them to take me home. They look at me and looked sad.

"You can't go back. You are our savior. And we cannot lose our heroine. We need you. Besides, they were nearly nice to you on Earth. Garret, your best friend talked terribly about you behind your back. He never liked you. Why would you want to go back to your mom, who can't tell the difference between you and someone who comes from the outside? Why not want to stay with us." And then I think. They have a point. I nod.

Soon, I was their queen. Their first human queen. Under my rule, we were able to conquer other planets Helios and not only that, but I became a warrior queen. I never looked back or went back to Earth again. My replacement became a spy, as I still wanted to make sure everything was fine on Earth. And life down on Earth remained the same. Without me. Being a nobody to a warrior queen of aliens has been an amazing experience. I have never looked back or even thought of regretting my decision from that day. In fact, I thrive on that one choice.

February 24, 2022 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.