0 comments

Crime Fiction Adventure

This story contains sensitive content

Note: This story's plot contains a crime of passion.


Valentines Day is two weeks away, Emma is planning her candy menu for the big day.  She carefully looks over what her best sellers were the year before - and a huge smile comes across her face. For some reason, her orders are up exceedingly. In the back of her mind, she chalks it up to a year where the divorce rate has gone through the roof!


This years' Valentine's Day will be her best yet for she is adding a new addition to her candy menu. But Emma does not plan to share it with her loyal clientele just yet.  The timing needs to be just right - for it is an extremely delicate product she is dealing with.


As Emma looks through her recipes - totally in her little world the shop door opens "ding-ding" and in walks a woman she has seen before - someone who was almost a customer last Valentines' Day. Emma looks up from her recipes, "Hello, how may I help you?" The woman is startled for a moment then composes herself, "The chocolate needs to be tempered." Emma nods at the woman to sit down and waits for the woman to give her a note. The woman hands Emma a note while looking to make sure they are completely alone. Emma reads the note to herself, "I can have this specialty order ready for you the day before Valentines' Day and no sooner - do you understand?" The woman nods in agreement, "I wouldn't want it any sooner," says the woman.


Emma makes sure the woman has all of the information she needs - for when she receives the specialty order of candy. "By the way, I will address you by a number code only - you are "29-C" got it?" The woman's face lights up knowing that she passed the test - to receive a special order from Emma. To even be in the know about these kinds of orders is - well not common knowledge. You must know someone who knows someone - it is extremely exclusive! She thanks Emma pervasively before she leaves the shop. 


Over the next two weeks, orders have almost doubled from the year before! Emma is pleasantly surprised by the uptake in orders. The new recipe she has chosen for the menu this year is the top pick of her clientele and no wonder - its list of benefits is outstanding. Emma realizes she is going to need help with the big order and gives her friend Kerry a call, "Kerry - hi, are you available to work at the shop for the next two weeks?" Emma knows she will say yes for this is a crucial time of year for the shop. "Of course, I will be there - you know how much I believe in the cause Emma!" Before Emma ends her call she informs Kerry of the new menu item, "We have a new addition to the menu and it has a higher rate of satisfaction - it works quicker!" Kerry grips the phone tightly to her ear and says in a hushed voice, "You mean you have tested it already??" "Yes, and it is foolproof none of my customers can screw this one up!"


Kerry arrives at the shop early in the morning for the next two weeks - to help Emma with the order and only this order. The shop is a chocolate shop and she does have other tasty treats she makes but this "special order" is not for the general public's consumption. These Valentines Day orders are not advertised - they are completely separate from her regular sickly sweet fare of the day.  These candies are a one-of-a-kind remedy to a particular problem - that never leaves a trace of ever trying it - what more could one ask for - right?


"Emma are you ready for the Valentines' Day Sweet Hearts Dance?" Kerry asks Emma with a wicked smile and a dark quip of a laugh. Emma puts aside a bowl of ingredients and turns to Kerry, "I am always ready - all the orders thanks to your help - are ready for the big day and what a gorgeous one it will be!" Emma and Kerry can hardly contain their happiness and joy at the big year this has been for the orders.  The shop doors open - Emma and Kerry turn surprised at the person who enters the shop, “Oh - Hello, can I help you?” Emma asks while checking to see if she recognizes the customer.   


"Hi Emma - I am the husband of Sara Jenkins," informs the man. Emma standing sits down slowly and steady's herself before - responding to the man. "Well - it is very nice to meet Sara's husband -please forgive me and your name is?" The man leans on the shop counter and says, "It is Frank - my wife Sara has raved on about your shop so much I just had to come and check it out!" Frank wanders over to the display case and begins to peruse the varieties of chocolates. "What kind do you think my wife Sara would like for Valentines' Day?" Emma by his question makes her way over the display case and begins to point out two kinds of chocolates Sara remarked when she tried them at the shop. "Perfect - I will take both kinds put in the pink and red heart-shaped box with a white bow - she will love it!" Emma packages the chocolates and puts them in a red velveteen gift bag.


After Frank leaves the shop Kerry asks Emma, "Wow - is he one of the unlucky ones this Valentines' Day??" Emma pauses and says, "Yes - he is and you may say he seems so nice - he just bought his wife the sweetest Valentines' Day gift - but I have seen him in action!" Emma certainly has seen Frank in action - exposing his true colours. She almost walked in on a heated disagreement between Sara and Frank - at a Valentines' Day dance - fours years ago. They were both outside the dance hall - away from everyone or so they thought. Frank grabbed Sara by the hair pulling and saying in a raised voice, "I will kill you if you ever embarrass me like that again - do you hear me!!" Sara with tears streaming down her face - nods her head. "I need to hear you say it - say it!" Sara says in a frightened voice, "Frank I will never embarrass you like that again - I swear!"


"Sara comes in the shop a lot and usually buys herself something - usually after she and Frank have fought - if he has fallen asleep from the drinking," Emma goes into the kitchen to make herself and Kerry a coffee with a splash of baileys. Emma passes Kerry a cup of coffee and raises her mug to Kerry's and says, "This Valentines Day will be a sickly sweet one for Frank - this year - he will not be able to kiss and make up!"












February 18, 2022 02:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.