2 comments

Drama Fiction Coming of Age

That would be $100.94 sir... 

Uh yeah got a little dosed off there ha-ha..., my name is Mark I am an ordinary man in an ordinary world filled with monsters with 3 eyes and 4 nipples... Oh wait scratch that out that is not what is happening right now wait why are we talking to ourselves again? We already went through this  

Sir? The cashier repeated, Sir that would be $100.94 please we have a long line today and it is mid-September so we have lots of customers to serve... 

Oh yeah just got a little dosed off there he repeated 

the cashier was not amused by his repetition as well as the other people in line,Parking lots were filled to the brim on this special occasion; to welcome back Alumni from all over the country. 

What were you do in the grocery store, Mark thought, that was the worst act that you have got in so far damn stupid stupid! As he thought of this, he almost said his thoughts out loud luckily, he caught himself in the act before he embarrasses himself again 

Mom I'm home 

Oh, Hi honey... Mrs. Parker is Marks mother a 45-year-old woman that works at a regular office job for such an aging woman she is still holding her own figure well with bits of wrinkle starting to form at her forehead and some other parts not worth mentioning. 

How was your trip? She added. you did not get mugged, did you?  

No mom, Mark Groaned  

Just concerned about you my boy. No need to be grumpy, she giggled. 

Well here are the groceries that you me to buy he said with a big Sigh, thank you very much and I have something very special for you today... 

What is that? Mark gave a suspicious look 

Promise that you will not freak out...; I am kind of freaking out already you know 

Well I won’t tell you then as Mrs. Parker walks away No no wait what is it? , looking desperate,  

It was not really important after all she pleaded, what was going on through my mind  

What is it mom?  

Nothing son just forget I even mentioned about this. 

Come on already, you know that I cannot sleep tonight if you don’t tell me about it like right now… 

Mrs. Parker went into deep though making the atmosphere unbearably quiet. Well what is it mom? The silence was finally broken. A look of sincerity flashed on Mrs. Parker’s face.  

Son, she finally spoke, you have been in this house the longest; your brothers have left here already; your big brother and small brothers. You have not got any new friends around for too long and even your past ones, you have ditched. So, tell me my boy what is your plan?  

With a big sigh… Mom I already told you I am here to take care of you, remember when you were almost struck by traffic? And this random guy saved you by pushing you to the side; I was the one that paid your hospital bills remember. 

I could have managed, she said frantically, they were just minor injuries just a few cuts and bruises, don’t you also forget that you treated the man that saved me with such contempt for like a week. 

Sorry Mom, I thought he was the main reason for your injuries, I could not be reasoned with. Well it is all over now; a big sigh of relief left her lungs as her eyes lit up [she was going to say something]. 

After that incident you dated him for like a month, Mrs. Parker’s breath was held mid-vocalization; Yeah, she grunted out the word, those where some good times. I even remember, Mark added, that awful noise coming from you room… 

Mrs. Parker was shocked with this revelation. 

Mark! She yelled, that was completely inappropriate right now.  

Mark left out a big laugh, how could I forget that incident? I just happened to come home at a usual time every day and I happened to hear you and that beast in the act of creation.  

That is the best description that you could give? An act of creation?  

Best humor that I can blurt out. 

The room that they are in once again filled with an awkward silence. Once again this became unbearable to Mark. The silence finally gave out in about 10 seconds but to Mark it was more like an hour has passed.  

Son, let us go back to what we were going to talk about.  

What is that?  

The sincere look came back to Mrs. Parker’s face; Son, she repeated, you are a caring young man but I cannot see how this is going to play out well with you being this way all the time, you always avoid other people like they are a plague. 

In the entire hour-long conversation that mother and son had; his answer was – NO!  

That is a big N-O mom. I will not go there.  

Why not? I mean h- 

When did this all happen mom? When did they call and why would they bother anyway?  

You always get this worked up when we talk about them. Mark, that was a long time ago they have all moved on, they have families now and they have better thing to do than redo what has happened to you before… 

No mom! They can never change, not in this time. They just want to humiliate me again. I became like this because of them! Mrs. Parker noticed more distress from her son than before; she has never seen him cry too often. 

Holding back his tears he continued to speak; when did this happen Mom?  

Like a week ago, she said in a low whispery tone.  

Why did you not tell me sooner? Mark’s voice was shaky. Because of this, she pleaded; this is why I held back. I know what they did and they can never atone for their sins but how does all of this affect you? You have to forgive them be the better man that you always aim to becoming.  

He seems to be very reasonable as of today, she though, not a single word of defiance. 

Mark finally sat down on the couch at their living room after a long talk that seemed like days in Mark’s biological clock.  

Mom, he said, do you remember my last girlfriend?  

Of course, how could I forget that bitch of a woman that dumped my boy?  

Yeah, she was a complete ass for dumping me like that, I did all I had to do didn’t I? I took care for her like how I would take care of my loving mother.  

She was just not for you my boy, and she was such a kiss ass even though I already told you about that you would not believe me.  

Blinded by love mom, I can say the same way with your latest romantic affair 

Mark! She said impatiently. Mark chuckled. Well I guess we are meant to be this way,he added, betrayed till the very end.  

There is always a silver lining, she added, Mark; I want you to live a good life. This hate that you feel get it out of your system it will consume you. I am not the best person to give this advice but I want the best for you. I will die one day and you have to pass on love to the next generation. 

I know mom. 

You teach me things to you know, after all our talks together how can I not be like you, I feel like I can be a great clinical Psychologist.  

You bet mom, you would be the best there is, 100% rating for you anytime. 

Flattered by what her son told her; her chuckle turned in to a giggle and finally in to a light laughter.  

What was that mom that seemed out of character of you…? 

I don’t know either, maybe I just feel relieved. You get odder by the minute today 

Anyway, Mark said, when will this home coming be?   

Mrs. Parker was a bit shocked with the revelation that she just heard from her most unreasonable son. Just like that? She added, No more complaining about what they could do to you or anything else? 

Yeah, I am certain of my decision. 

Mom was relieved by my decision and we continued on to with more conversations and discussions that we usually have every evening; it is now 8 in the evening. 

Well, Mrs. Parker said finishing the conversation, I am delighted that you have made up your mind. 

Thanks for always listening to me, Mark said gratefully. 

A big smile went across Mrs. Parker’s face as she reached for a hug, I am so glad that my boy will not need mama as much anymore. 

Upon hearing what his mother said, he felt a sense of lost. 

Anything for you mom. I love you. 

Mark could feel his mother’s heart beat raise; I love you too my sonny boy. 

As the two let go of their embrace they had a brief moment of looking at each other. 

The two went to bed peaceful and full of life but in the mind of Mark there is still this fear of what may be. 

This is for my mother, he said to himself, she suffered enough due with life to be ungrateful of how her children grow up to be. She as sheltered me this long, I have to do this... I have to do this... I have to do this...... 

In mantra like manner he repeated those words until he fell asleep. 

Days have passed since they have spoken about the homecoming and once again in terms of the biological time clock of Mark; felt like months. 

Ring ring... Ring ring... Ring ring... 

Mark glanced at their front door, where their phone rang. As he ran up to the phone, he hesitated a bit.  

 Saturday at the late morning, a little pass ten; the phone constantly rang. This is the third time, mark said, who could be calling on Saturday? This is not usual, oh wait it could be mom. 

Ring... rin... 

Hello Parker’s residence  

Mark? Mark Parker is that you?  

Uhhh... Yes. Mark said nervously. 

You remember who I am don’t you? The voice continued. 

Ummm not quit Sir... 

Hahaha, really dude? Sir? Well we have not seen each other for a while. It is Macky, from high school. 

Mark’s heart beat raced for a bit. Then his composure got in touch with him 

Yeah,Yeah..., I remember, the cool kid in high school, the first guy that introduced himself to me at grade school; how could I forget?  

Haha, I can never forget that, Macky added, I still remember the second day where you were showing me that diary of yours, do you still have it?  

Uhhh... no, sorry I might have misplaced that thing like... a million years ago you know.  

Well I guess it cannot be helped, well anyway you and Reynald are the only ones that haven’t been invited yet. The task was given to me to let you in and Michael was on Reynald... And the homecoming party is in three days, are you aware of that? 

Uhhh... not quite, I mean I know it would start somewhere at that end of September. 

Right on dude. Well see you then, Bye. 

Yeah bye... 

Well that wasn’t so bad. Man, my hands are trembling like that scene in X-men first class, where Sabastian Shaw absorbs the energy from a big left hook.  

As Mark sat on the sofa: Well, got to get some good clothes to wear for this occasion. I wonder what is best to wear in this occasion, luckily, I have all the time in the world right now. 

A couple of days have passed and finally he got the “Perfect” outfit for the occasion. 

Alright! All that work for such a beauty, girls be ready for me now! The Pimp is coming in town. 

The day has come for our hero to do what he has to do, to finally face his fears and conquer the demon of his own making, to enter into the unknown world, to be finally known for his true talents and skill.  

The journey has been long and treacherous but we are about to reach our destination and fina... 

Mark! Are you monologuing again? Mrs. Parker noticed. 

No, I wasn’t, he said frantically   

Yes, you were, I happened to be right outside your door and that was louder than usual; you have about an hour left to leave. 

It is self-motivation mom, what do you expect?  

With a smile on her face she said, I am just glad that you finally decided to face your past.  

Thanks to you, but honestly, I cannot help but think that they will be on to me again. 

Son... if they do, you can always come back here. 

Mark look at his mother with awe followed by a smile that grew up to the side of ears.  

How about you bring me over, like good ol time. 

No no my boy, I rather let you do the driving. 

Well then how about I drive you over? 

She gave a quick glance, then who would bring back the car?  

You will... 

And you will be left with none... 

Oh yeah hehe, I did not think that far ahead, well, my driving it is. See then mom.  

I would be long asleep before you get back. 

Mark headed downstairs out the front door and had one last look at his house, this is the day, he said with almost teary eyes, you make peace with your past and keep moving forward no matter where I go, no matter where life leads me. For you mom. 

Mark rode out his 30-minute drive towards His former high school with a few more minutes in his time before the homecoming starts, he gets himself a quick tour in the bookstore that he usually goes to. 

It is 8:50 pm... 

Got around 5 minutes to go, Mark said, got to get going. As he walks out, he spots his former girlfriend in high school that dumped him. For whatever reason he just jumped in to greet her the rest is history... 

It is 11:57pm 

Want to come in?  

I rather not, Camiel said. 

Haha, been a long time since you went in. 

We might be late for tomorrow’s appointment Mark Jaime said.  

Yead dude, we have to all get going soon, Macky said, good getting to see again though.  

I understand, Mark said, well alright hope we can hangout more. See ya guys.  

See ya, they all replied  

As mark walked up the door he was greeted by his mom, well how did it go? Seems like you had fun 

It was mom Cannot wait to tell you all about it... 

The End  

October 01, 2020 16:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

07:00 Oct 08, 2020

I think it would be a good idea to strengthen your plot. Pay a bit more attention to spelling and grammar. Keep writing.

Reply

Russel Lad
12:48 Oct 19, 2020

Hi thanks for your support, appreciate that, your right, I was in a rush finishing the story, just wanted to let this loose.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.