3 comments

Science Fiction Fantasy

It was the year 2087. Although, the inter galactic war had ended over eight years ago, life had we know it had ceased to return to normal. Shortly, after the war ended, a treaty was signed by majority of the surviving planets. However, some were defiant, revolting against the peace and working underneath to restart the war, they call themselves The Uzra; they believed they needed to rule the galaxy for peace to truly reign. Hence, the Omega was formed to maintain peace and exterminate The Uzra.

 Some survivors had returned to earth and restoration was on its way. However, like me some remain scattered around the galaxy. To many their home was no longer earth. As a child, I wanted nothing more than to go back. Back to our farm house. It was probably a pile of rubble but I hoped the blue bungalow on the vast green plain was still there. And my horse. My horse, Petra, he would be waiting for me.

Beta, our spaceship, had become my home; it was where I lived after we fled earth. It was at the busy command center that I heard that my mother’s space shuttle didn’t make it. It was in my tiny quarters, room A407, that I received the message of my father’s appointment and transfer to a different sector. Omega had eight sectors, five major and three minor and each sector strived to maintain peace in its region. He wouldn’t be taking me along. 'It was too dangerous', he said. It was in the N-yamite hollow halls, Keaton and I played in. It was our home even after the war had ended. Growing up all I had was Keaton. All we had were each other.

Not only had I lost my home and Petra but also Beta. I was dismissed from Sector A and redeployed to Sector D, the fourth ranking sector.

Gia, Keaton’s girlfriend, had once risked her life to save mine. Keat was angry with me and as punishment he entrusted me with the task of finding the medicine to help with her reaction from falling into the toxic waste. I had to get the medicine at the market on Planet Xwedo and return to the spaceship; while the others had an exchange mission in the underground black market. I was upset that I was excluded as usual and only given a minute task. I wanted to prove myself and do the exchange alone. My plans disrupted theirs and amidst the confusion the identity of the uncover agent in Xerna, Jace, who I was so desperate to meet was revealed. As always, I needed to be saved, ended up getting some soldiers injured. They didn’t save me because they cared about me. It was just their duty.


I was sorry. Keaton promised it was okay. They hated me, they deserved to. To them I was just the Generals daughter who couldn’t do anything right. They wanted Keaton to dismiss me. I was sorry but it didn’t matter. I hoped Keaton would have my back, but I got a dismissal letter the next day. Keat didn’t even come to explain or see me off. I was deported to Sector D. I was based on Planet Kheth as a junior junior recruit in War and technology. I answered by my middle name, Kelly. No one wanted me. It’s been a year since I got deported, but no one ever asked about me. No one not even Keaton. My father, My best friend, No one. Hence, I understood why I only found out three days prior about my best friends' engagement. No one told me. Do they even remember me? I stared at the e- invitation and I was tempted to toss it into the vacuum and send it flying through space, only it was not mine, it was Ava’s a coworker at the lab. 

My best friend was getting married, heck I didn’t even know he proposed. I didn’t also know if we were best friends. Or even friends? He proposed! Knowing Keat he would have done it privately. He must have planned it all alone, or maybe he got help. It’s not like him to ask for help. If I had known or were there, I’d have helped behind the scenes, made it a tad more romantic or as Keaton would have said, “I’d have ruined it.” I guess it didn’t matter anymore how the proposal happened and in what feat, what really mattered was that she said yes.

I had heard people comment and question their relationship; they talked freely not noticing my presence and even if they did; they wouldn’t think I knew them on a personal level. They judged Gia, questioned if they were compatible. It’s expected for them to judge, nobody will ever be good for Keat or that’s what they all say. Keaton, child prodigy. ‘That boy is built for war’ my dad always said. And if he were to be with someone, she was the best choice.

Gia was a great person. She did risk her life to save mine. ‘It’s her duty’, she had recited. A part of me believed she was only nice to me because of Keaton. I was more like the little overbearing sister–in–law she had to deal with, well not anymore.


I’d have defended them but they’d think I’m lying.


“You know them?” they would have asked in disbelief. “You’re telling me Commander of Sector A knows you.” I guess I was the only one who still dared call him Keaton, except from Gia; although she hardly called him that. My guess was to maintain an image. 'Formal and mature,' how adorable.

Lastly, they’ll say, “Prove it.” I couldn’t prove it, if not for the memories imprinted in my brain, I too wouldn’t believe me.

It only proved them right, when I didn’t get an invite or was even aware of the engagement.

I thought Keaton would want to hold the engagement party on Earth, he’d always wanted to go back home, then again, I don’t know him anymore. Gia wouldn’t want to return to earth, no one she knew survived the war, earth would be a painful reminder of what she had lost. It made sense that the engagement party would hold at Planet Rwecyo, home to the survivors and fugitives of the war, that was her new home. Rwecyo, had similar climatic condition to earth, it could be inhabited easily by humans, without needing oxygen mask or a space suit.


I was happy for Keaton, I truly was. I hated that I did. I hated that I cared about the people that had forgotten about me. I deserved their silence. I deserved them turning their backs on me. I deserve it all.

What did Keaton say, “Stop acting out! You are not a child anymore. Your actions have consequences.”

But I don’t deserve not being invited to the engagement. I had so much planned. We did say I’d plan it.


My new quarter was worse, with hardly any breathing space. There were no windows, I couldn't look at the vast empty void called space as I normally did when I was upset. Instead, I laid on the bottom bunk, closed my eyes, trying to remember a time when the Universe made sense. The beeping sound of my Chatron dragged me back to reality, it was the id that I had called over a thousand times, more frequently since I knew he was getting married. He’d never answered before and he’d never called back. Maybe he was calling to apologize? Maybe he was waiting outside the space station with a recruitment later.

“You’re getting engaged?” I slammed into the phone, realizing that I was upset about it afterall.

“Yes?”

His voice, I hadn’t heard it in so long. I hadn't noticed the beaming smile on my face but I could feel the tears coming home. I cleared my throat. “And you didn’t think to tell me?”

“I’m busy."

Busy? I guess he’s too busy for his childhood friend. “Was I even going to get an invite?”

“I’m not in charge of the invite.”

I’m so unimportant, forgotten and abandoned. Keaton was the last person I had in my life, the last person who bothered about me, but even now he’s done with the charity work. “Am I still going to be your best man?”

“Actually, Gabe is.”

“You promised,” I said as my voice caved in before the tears.

“We were kids.”

He’s right, I’m still childish. Why did I think a promise we made as children would still hold. Why did I think my childhood friend still cared about me as much as I did? I should have known. I’m not good enough. I make things worse. Everyone truly is happier without me; I mean I should have known when nobody reached out for over a year. My father and now Keat. “I’m sorry but I wouldn’t be able to make it.”

“Okay.” He said in the same monotone voice. No hint of sadness or disappointment. I should be happy he agreed with me but it hurts even more knowing my absence and presence makes no difference to those you care about.

“Okay?”

“Okay. I wouldn’t want to attend an event last minute.”

I would. I would if it was his event. I would. “You wouldn’t attend my engagement if it’s last minute?”

“I wouldn’t drop my plans for an event.”

My engagement is AN EVENT. Is this Keat? Is this my friend?


<>


“I wouldn’t drop my plans for an event,” I sighed.

“Yeah – me too,” Avery stuttered.

“I don’t know how you’re able to track my galactical id number, but I’d appreciate if you never call me again. It’s pestering. I have a lot to worry about than to be nagged by—I’m pleading. Stop.”

“I understand. The buttons are faulty so it accidently beeps you a few—”

“Busy.” I tap the end button and slouch into the seat.

Gia smirked before handing me the drive. I assumed her mission was successful and the drive contained the upcoming plans of Xerna.

"What was she complaining about this time?”

I verify the contents before uploading it to Bido, the A. I. It would help to decode the commands. “That I didn’t invite her to the engagement.”

“You didn’t?”

“There’s no reason why she had to be there.”

I was grateful that she didn't pester me further with more questions and left me to myself.


“She completely ruined the mission that you’ve been working on for months. Not to mention she blew Jace’s cover. He’s been in there for years. An embarrassing defeat.”

“It was an accident, she didn’t –”

“Don’t defend her, Commander.”

“Yes sir.”

“It’s your fault, you couldn’t control your team. Do you know how that affects your image; you’d seem partial. Last month, you suspended a top cadet because he came late for training. Eyes are watching you; you won’t get promoted if they think you’re partial. I know you’re strict with her, but all they see is that you keep defending her and covering her mistake.”

I suspended B-bup because he was purposefully defying my orders, thinking he could do what he wants, when he wants; but that didn’t matter now. “It is my fault. I should be able to control and protect my team. . . But with all due respect sir, I think she’s acting out to get your attention.”

“Those years back then, when I wasn’t in the picture, she was independent. She even protected you from bullies on the training ground. She sneaked you unto my spaceship, probably if she didn’t you wouldn’t be here. She kept you alive and she was just ten. But what happened after that, you grew up together and she got dependent on you. You want to know why she’s so reckless, it’s because she knows you’ll help clean her mess up. You need to distant yourself from her.”

“Are you telling me to—what am I going to tell her?”

“Do what I do, NOTHING. Don’t explain. Eventually she’ll give up.”

“You had asked me to take care of her for you and now . . . “

“You did and I’m grateful. I’m doing this for the both of you. She isn’t always going to have the two of us there to protect her. She’ll have to be strong like she was before. You understand, that right? You have a girlfriend, eventually you’ll have a family and I’d die but she? I’ve been worrying about this since the medical report came back.”

“You will be okay sir.”

“We all know that’s not true.”

"She should know about —"

"She will, at the right time. If you’re going to take over the position when I’m gone, you don’t need the image of a baby sitter. People need to see that you have control of things. You have an image to uphold. You need your subordinates respect and trust. I believe in you son.” He said, “She’s going to fall. Don’t stop. Don’t look back and keep moving. She’d wait for your help or sympathy but when she gets nothing, She’d learn to pick herself up and keep moving on. This is my only wish from a dying man; I hope you can do it.”

“I’ll get a redeployment letter, but I’m not sure if she’d agree to leave.”

“She will and I already typed it.”


<>

You know that feeling when you walk into a room filled with people and you make eye contact with a stranger. It doesn't mean anything. It's akward but it doesn't mean anything. You both turn away. Only this time the stranger was my childhood friend.

He turned away but I didn't. He was in a blue tuxedo. We had planned black but I guess it didn't matter anymore. I watched as the guests came to congratulate him, some I recognized from sector A. As each came and left I creeped closer towards him.

When he was finally alone. I summoned the courage and made my move. This was for me.

I crossed his path. I wanted to smile but I couldn't. I stared at him but he glanced around nonchalantly. “Are you happy?”


“I am," he said with no emotion.


It was akward like we had just met. That was it, I guess. That was the end. I hugged him, I remember that he didn't hug back. It was quick but it was nice; a reminder of what was. I smiled, he didn't and I walked away surfing through the crowd.


“Avery?”


The voice sounded familiar, it was the voice that I hadn't heard from in years but I immediately recognized it. I turned to see a thinner, paler version of what I remembered my dad to be. It's probably the aging process.

“It’s Kelly now.”

“You’re the Kelly working at tech who almost blew up the entire lab.”

“It needs a little more work but it will—”

“Your mistake could have cost us billions not to mention endangering the lives of your other colleagues. Don’t embarrass yourself too much.” That was my dad, never failing to remind me of my shortcomings, especially of those I try to forget. He looked around the white hall with a smile. A smile that I couldn’t remember ever seeing. “My son had made me really happy and proud today.”

“I know Dad.”

“I mean he does that normally but it’s different this time. Maybe I’ll get my grandkids before I die.”

Die? It’s the sentiment. “I didn’t think you’d come, you’re always busy; in some other galaxy or the sorts.”

“And miss this. Excuse me, I have to talk to the other guests.”

I watched as he walked over to Keat, Gia and some other commanders. I wondered what they were talking about, wondered what was so funny that it made Keat laugh. They were all happy. I was not needed.

Gia’s hair was in a bun, in a turquoise blue dress that accentuated her blue eyes. We hadn’t talked since I arrived at the party. I saw her, she saw me, she must have. She didn’t come to greet me, not that I expected it. I understood, we never had that connection. I was just another guest at the party.

I looked at all the guests in their little group chatting and laughing away while I stood alone at the corner with the cup of sparkling wine I was handed as I walked into the party. It was warm now. I hadn’t tasted it but I knew it would taste like poison; slow and deadly. It would pierce my soul and the taste would forever be a painful reminder of that day.


Slowly I faded into the crowd. There were like strangers but it turned out I was the stranger. I was useless. I was a stranger to those I love and lately I had become a stranger to myself. Maybe they’re strangers caused they’ve changed or maybe their the same but I couldn’t recognize them anymore.


Life is an open door, people come, people go but afew stay. I haven’t met anyone who stayed but I had the memories of those who came and left. The memories stayed. I have the memories of strangers I once cared about. I am not needed. Dad has Keaton and Keaton as Gia. I had no one. They were all happy, so I was happy.


I didn't have to come that day, but I came for me. I had no regrets. Our story had come to it's end. I placed the glass cup on a table, took one glance at the strangers, smiled, said a mental goodbye and walked out without looking back.


Goodbye.

June 04, 2021 18:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Marianna Mills
18:59 Jun 08, 2021

It's really good and you have a wonderful knack at fantasty/sci-fi writing, but, did he go to Keaton's wedding after he'd said no ? Little confusing. I really got absorbed, I hoped he would have made a new friend, or rekindled an old friendship according to the prompt - I think that got lost somewhere at the end as he was alone....I loved how you made him so "real" though, and we can all relate to those feelings of being left out and unwanted. sigh. well done. I wrote a new one too under Looking out a window at night prompt if u want ...

Reply

Yuk Yuk
14:18 Jun 22, 2021

He or She? They did, that was when they were describing walking into a room and having eye contact with a stranger, that was the engagement party. or when they were alone, alone at the party. I felt more description, my fault, no excuse accepted. Can you please be specific on the confusing part so I know what exactly to edit. I was writing on the prompt : friends who turned to strangers. ah left out, the familiar, "third wheel" but you have to be part of something to be left out. LOL I'll try. you too. Thank you. You've been really help...

Reply

Marianna Mills
19:54 Jun 23, 2021

i dont remember havent been on here too much it's fine maybe i read it too fast.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.