3 comments

General

“Goodbye Alex,” Nikki says, as she pasts me in my car and crosses the street. 

“Goodbye?” I ask confused. “What do you mean goodbye?” 

She says nothing. 

“Nikki!” I shout, trying to get my deranged girlfriend’s attention. “Get in the car.” She says nothing though and makes no effort to get in my car. She doesn’t even look at me, not once. Instead, she just continues to trudge through the shallow puddles, upon the sidewalks, getting her dark flip flops soaked and wet. It’s not the only thing on her that is wet though. The clothes she wears cling to her like a new born clinging to their mothers breasts. She is wearing my blue football jersey and her white pyjama bottoms, with little pink hearts on them. Her long dark hair that appears dishevelled and wet, sticks to her neck and face. Her arms are folded across her chest, resting on her petite breasts. Even though, it is very much dark out. I can see her face grow pale. Then there is me, driving at exactly 5 kilometres per hour along the sidewalk, with my one hand on the wheel and the other continuously combing through my long dark hair. I knew I should have gotten this mop of a hair cut, now I pay the price by having to remove it from my face every second. I can feel my skin go pale, meaning that I am soon to catch a cold in this crappy weather. The entire interior of my Miata is wet and don’t even get me started with my favourite, white, $200 Armani shirt. As well, my black Dolce&Gabbana sweats, that cost me almost 2 grand. At this point I cant even think about that. I will complain about it later to Nikki, once we are back in the comfort of my home; laying in front of the fireplace, while chugging down a nice cup of hot cocoa. Now, I am just wondering what the hell is going on. I believe I did nothing wrong. I mean, nothing that I can think of that could have possibly pissed Nikki off this much. Her leaving my house was so abrupt. We were doing homework on the floor in my room and then I brought up prom, which made her smile. She was excited as I about prom. My friends told me all kinds of stories about how virgins become like ‘unvirginitized’ or something during prom or at the after parties. Nikki and I were excited about this special night to finally come, we’ve been dating for 3 years and have tried this whole abstinence thing, but being one of the only 18 year olds yet to get laid sucks like hell. Nikki already told me that she is ready, so I know that that wasn’t an issue. 

“Nikki, come on!” I shout again. “Babe please, before it starts raining again.” 

This time she shakes her head from side to side and begins to run. 

“For christ sakes…” I mumble and increase my speed, keeping up with Nikki. She turns into an alley and I quickly pull my car over, park it, hop out and run on after her. 

I need to get to the bottom of this.

So we were in my room, doing homework, then I brought up prom, she smiled, a smile that is hard to remove from your mind. Saying that her smile lit up the room would be an understatement. Her smile should be the only source of light on this planet. Unlike the sun, her smile doesn’t just make one feel warmth and provide light, but her smile actually changes your whole entire mood, it gets you addicted like a drug, making you yearn for more. She gave me one of her intoxicating smiles before leaping up from the ground and rushing over to my closet. 

“Let me see your suit,” She said with much excitement. 

I laughed at her eagerness. “Now you’re going to have to wait until prom babe.” 

She turned her head to face me and frowned. “Alexander…” she pouted. 


“Alexander…go…” She says, since she is now at a dead end. No where else to run. I feel like a crook or a predator, being in this alley, chasing after a girl. However, there is no way in hell that I’d ever hurt her in any way. I guess that is what happens when you love someone. 

“Nikki, c’mon let’s get out of her” I beg, and reach my hand out for her to grab. She doesn’t except it, she just turns her head away from me, to the side and presses her body back into the wall. She presses so hard that I am pretty sure if she presses any harder then she might just go through the wall, like a ghost. I sigh, I have no idea what to do or what to say, because I have no idea what is going on. I once again focus on trying to remember what exactly happened. 

So she said my name and pouted and I tilted my head to the side and laughed once more before shaking my head no. 

“Close the closet.” I then said. 

“Why? You hiding something.” She said as a joke. 

I said nothing though, because I didn’t want her finding out. That’s when her smile faded into a frown. Her brown eyes turned to black, her face became pale and her body began to quake like it is now. 

She is vigorously shaking, from her quivering legs to her chattering teeth. She is basically her own natural disaster, a quaking earthquake, just a few shakes away from causing the volcano inside her to erupt. The moon may be the only source lighting up this alley, but the redness of Nikki’s cheeks are beginning to form another source of light. She is scared and angry, but why? God, what did I do. 


“Nikki please!” I beg, once more. “Tell me what I did.” 


She stares up at me, with tears now flooding down her face. It pains me to see her so hurt, but it pains me even more to know that it is me who caused her this pain. When Nikki says nothing I keep searching through my mind. 

So Nikki was shaking and right before she stormed off she mumbled something, but all I heard was “cheater.” I think she saw it. Oh god that’s why, no no she saw what was in my closet. That’s why she is so upset. That’s why she said that. 


“You saw it?” I ask. 


This time she answers me. She nods her head while mumbling, “yes.” 


“Look,” I begin to explain. “I swear I was going to give it to you at prom, no one else.” 

It took me forever to find that promise ring, I had a buddy search for me, spent about $600 on it, but it was worth it. It was supposed to be a surprise, hence why I was being so secretive. But, I swear that I did not cheat on my girlfriend.


“I love you Nikki and I’d never cheat on you.”  


“I know,” She responds in a low tone, while starring at the ground. 


I furrow my eyebrows out of confusion. Well, if she knew that I wasn’t cheating then why is she so upset? “Then Nikki why did you say I cheated before you ran off?” 


“I didn’t say you cheated.” She takes a deep breath before continuing.

“After seeing the ring, I couldn’t do it anymore, the guilt caught up with me.” 

“I don’t understand…” I say. 

“I said, I cheated. As in, you’re not the one that cheated. I am.” 







May 29, 2020 20:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

08:45 Jun 08, 2020

Wow..great story Sarah! I truly enjoyed reading this story till the ending. The ending was good and I loved it! Keep writing and have a great day Sarah!❤️️❤️️

Reply

08:47 Jun 08, 2020

Please do check out my stories and tell me what you think! Stay safe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Demary
23:09 Jun 08, 2020

Thank you, appreciate the comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.