1 comment

Romance

A thick application of ruby red around the lips, eyes that sparkled and a killer dress too; Louise was ready to meet this stranger her friend Michelle had sworn was her perfect match. Even though she knew she looked amazing Louise still could not help but feel a touch anxious. The last time she had been to Tony’s Steakhouse she had been dumped by her long time fiancé David.

“Madam may I take your coat?” asked the maître d’.

Louise shrugged off the black shrug that hung about her shoulders.

“As you wish,” she said, noncommittal.

“Have you made a reservation?”

“I am meeting someone at eight, some guy named Dave.”

“Ah yes,” announced the maître d’, relieved. “Dave has not yet arrived, perhaps a drink while you wait?”

“A glass of champagne could be either a great idea or a really bad one,” considered Louise. “What the hell, let’s go with yes…”

The maître d’ clicked his thin fingers and another waiter appeared at his side.

With a flourishing bow the well-dressed figure asked, “Would you please allow me to escort you to the bar?”

“Please, yes, please lead the way,” said Louise with a smile. For a moment she hoped that this man was Dave but once the waiter had guided Louise to a stool he bowed, turned about-face and left. Louise’s bubble of hope burst.

“So what can I getcha sweetheart?” asked the barman.

“Just a glass of the house champagne, thanks,” requested Louise.

“Manners gets you a strawberry, gorgeous,” said the barman with a wink.

The glass of bubbles with half a ripe red strawberry floating at the top magically appeared a moment later.

As she sat and sipped Louise checked her watch. It was five minutes to eight; she had arrived slightly early when she’d wanted to be slightly late. All that she had left to do was wait and worry.

Dave had been watching from afar for the lady in red. His friends had said they would be perfect together, but Dave had not been so sure. He had fallen for looks previously but none of those dates had ever blossomed into anything more meaningful. On the cusp of entering into his thirties the teacher was not keen on losing his looks twenty, ten or even five years down the road and discovering his chance for real love and a family of his own was gone.

“Hey mate,” Dave’s friend Antonio had said one night a few weeks ago. “You can pour a mean drink, yeah?”

“I guess?” Dave had replied, unsure of what Antonio had in mind.

“My Papa has a restaurant in town,” Antonio had begun. “You sub in for me one night and work the bar…”

“And then what?” Dave had asked, curious but not keen.

“Hey presto!”

“Magic tricks?” Dave had said, confused.

“No tricks friend,” laughed Antonio. “Let the drinks work their magic.”

So it had been that night in Antonio’s Papa’s restaurant that Louise had walked in. She had caught Dave’s eye the moment she spoke with the maître d’ but as soon as the Head Waiter took the shrug Dave only had eyes for the girl in red.

As Louise reached the bottom of her glass she caught herself smiling at the barman. In such a short time she had revealed a love of travel, the sea and her adoration of tabby cats. Equally the barman had professed his own love for all things feline and the fact that he had a strong desire to take an oceanic voyage north.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to discover about new cultures but also keen to learn new things about myself,” Louise and the barman had both blurted out together.

Louise laughed. “I guess one thing I have learnt about myself tonight is that I’m good at getting stood up.”

“On the contrary, Louise,” the barman said with a smile. “I’m Dave, your date tonight.”

“You’re Dave?”

“I’ve just filled in behind the bar for a friend, he said it would help me meet interesting women and I can say indeed that it true…”

“What interesting women?”

“Well, you Louise for a start…” said Dave with a smile.

“Go on…”

“I was unsure you would come, blind dates can be stressful and I’ve had girls bail before.”

“I almost didn’t come tonight,” Louise agreed. “Tony’s has some bad memories.”

“Well, let us find our table and hopefully we can change that for you,” suggested Dave.

Another member of the bar staff was waiting to step in and take over as Dave left his post. With confidence he guided the lady in red toward a booth off to the side.

“So what do you do when you are not spying on potential ladies?” asked Louise the moment the pair sat.

Dave laughed at that.

“I feel like a secret agent,” he said with a nod and a sparkle in his eyes. “Agent double oh never…”

“I work in disability,” coaxed Louise.

“I am a teacher by day,” replied Dave.

“By night too, I’m sure,” said Louise with a smile.

“Sorry?” shot Dave, interpreting Louise’s comment as sensual and very forward.

“Oh no, I didn’t mean it that way,” Louise responded quickly. “Only that the job of a teacher at any level is nine to five.”

“You mean nine AM to five AM?” laughed Dave, relaxing again.

“Exactly,” agreed Louise. “I have two older sisters who teach and regardless of if it is pre-school or collage, all teaching is a grueling profession.”

“Amen to that,” agreed Dave.

A few champagnes more and a glass or two of red for Dave and both considered the night a success. Louise chose the pasta and Dave a steak. Louise berated him for having it well done and Dave smiled as she ran the last of her garlic bread across the plate to clean up the sauce.

“I must say I have really enjoyed this dinner,” Dave announced.

“Yes,” Louise agreed. “We must thank those mutual friends of ours for making the suggestion.”

“I would love to take you to the movies Saturday night,” suggested Dave. “They are showing Gremlins and Gremlins Two as a double feature…”

“Not one for eighties films, perhaps you’d take me dancing?”

Dave was shocked for the briefest of moments but recovered quickly.

“If you wear another number like that lady, I’d happily take you anywhere.”

“Well then Dave, count yourself lucky,” Louise replied with a playful wink. “I’ve got a closet full of these and you just scored a second date.”

August 26, 2020 10:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tim Law
03:05 Sep 01, 2020

I really enjoyed writing this one...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.