1 comment

General

December 28th, 1958

Dear Diary,

This notebook was given to me by my mother for Christmas to write down my favorite memories. I’m not really big on writing, but I guess it’s good to remember. My name is Nancy Harris and I’m 14 years old. This was a good year, I suppose. I started high school and made many new friends. We have two middle schools so I saw a lot of people I’ve never met. I want to work for NASA one day. I love space and it is my dream to one day study it in depth. My parents say it isn’t a job for a woman, but I am going to prove them wrong. My older sister says a woman can do anything a man can do, and even do it better. Well, it’s time for me to go to sleep, so that’s all for now. I’ll write again soon!


December 30th, 1968

Dear Diary,

It’s been ten years. I know I said I would write again soon, but everything just got so busy and I never had the time to update you on everything that has happened. I’m in college now. I’m studying astrophysics at John Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. It was hard to get in, and it was even harder to leave my family back in Ohio, but now that I’m here, I love it even more than I thought I would! I’ve made some wonderful new friends and I’m going to the NASA headquarters next week to look at job opportunities! I don’t have much time for fun anymore, so this trip, while small, is going to be amazing. That’s all for now, but I promise to write again soon, hopefully as an official NASA scientist!


December 15th, 1978

Dear Diary,

So much for promising to write! When I was 25, I got an internship at NASA. It was the best summer of my life and it just fueled my love for space. When I was 27, I finally got a job there! Even with my degree, I was only able to get a secretary job, even with multiple openings in other areas. It was terrible in one way, but at least I was there. All that hard work, and all I did was sit at a desk and take phone calls while watching everyone around me get to live my own dream. I sat at that desk for three long years, but in 1974, a new opportunity arose. I got the chance to work in the actual control room. It’s as incredible now as it was when I first started. I can’t believe I’m here, can’t believe I’m living my dream. This is something I’ve been dreaming about ever since I was a teenager, and now I’m here. I proved everyone wrong. They all said I would never make it, but here I am. Well, that’s all for now! At this point, I probably won’t write again in another 10 years!


December 22nd, 1988

Dear Diary,

Nothing much has changed since I last wrote, but it’s best to keep up tradition. I’m still working in the control room, and I’m still beyond happy. I haven’t met anyone who I would consider my “soulmate” and would want to spend the rest of my life with, but I’m absolutely fine with it. I have some wonderful friends who support me in all my endeavors and also just got a dog last week, after wanting one for years. We could never have one when I was little because my mom was allergic, and I had just been too busy to get one as an adult. He’s a black lab who I named Orion, as I couldn’t say no to naming him after one of my favorite constellations. He’s only five months old and not very well trained, but I love him nonetheless, and he loves me too. These past years have gone by so quickly; I’m so busy and it’s been a complete whirlwind. I love it. I’m living my dream and it’s incredible.     


December 19th, 1998

Dear Diary,

I quit NASA three years ago, after spending most of my life doing what I love. Don’t get me wrong, I spent the best years of my life there, but I had to. The days were bleeding together and I needed something new. It was a wonderful journey, though, and I feel like I broke many barriers. It was the best experience of my life, and my last day was possibly the saddest day of my life. I now work as a cashier at a small Mom & Pop shop, which is nothing compared to what I used to do, but it helps bring in income. The owners are really sweet, and I’m glad this opportunity arose. I’m happy with how my life has turned out so far, and I am beyond happy that I was able to pursue my dreams. I’ve never been more thankful.


December 22nd, 2008

Dear Diary,

Life has calmed down. In one way, I wish I had never quit, but I knew it was for the best. I never found “true love” but it doesn’t bother me. I’ve had my friends to guide me along my path and who have supported me in my choices. I couldn’t ask for a better love than that. Looking back, the support from my friends and family is what got me to break past that glass ceiling. And to that, I say thank you. Thank you for believing in me and helping me achieve my dreams.


March 18, 2018

Dear Diary,

On January 10, 2018, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I’ve been offered chemo treatment, but I’m not sure if I’ll take it. I’ve had a wonderful life and I don’t want to spend my last few years, months, weeks, whichever it is, trying to fight the inevitable. Every night, I go outside and gaze at the stars for as long as I need. I helped in the discovery of what’s beyond our own planet. I was there to witness the findings in the great beyond. Would this all have been done without me? Yes, of course. But I was there when it happened, and I have never been more grateful. If what they say is true and our souls are made of stardust, then I’m not afraid to leave this world; I’ll be returning to the beauty of the stars, the magnificence of the moons, the brilliance of the sky.

April 03, 2020 15:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wally Schmidt
05:17 Mar 20, 2023

Gabriella I loved this story. It is so upbeat and the main character shows such an appreciation for her life trajectory- both the ups and the downs- and that is a rare person indeed. While, highly intelligent, it is the whimsical side of your main character that I found really appealing. Lovely readf

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.