1 comment

Contemporary Crime Mystery

   Chancy had gotten a little desperate to say the least. She had grown tired of going to work and going home and going to church and nothing else. She knew it was her fault and admit she brought it on herself. After her divorce three years ago, she had become a recluse. Jason, her ex had taken her through so much heartache and pain. It took her some T and T to get over it and him. T and T stood for time and therapy, and as far as Chancy was concern it took almost as much time as her marriage lasted. She and Jason were married four years. Chancy had finally gotten to a stop hurting, I forgive him point and suddenly her life stopped. She did nothing but work. Every now and then she would catch a movie or go out with friends, most of whom were married but she was all alone. She finally decided that loneliness must go. It was time to introduce herself to a life of love again and get out just a little bit more. She decided to get on POF just to browse around a bit and just see. She didn’t think she'd find anyone, but it wouldn’t hurt to look. She decided after work she would give it a shot. She had casually mentioned her intentions to her friend Shirley. She referred to her as shoot it down Shirley. Chancy liked Shirley as far as it goes but no matter the idea Shirley would shoot it down. It could be something as simple as going to get lunch. Shirley would find a way to shoot it down. Her take on the POF idea was, “be careful, you sure that’s a smart thing to do. You know folks on those sites pretend to be something or someone they’re not". Chancy found herself increasingly tired of Shirley’s negativity.

    Chancy as in most times ignored Shirley’s advice and went fishing on POF. She met a guy that sounded compatible for her, so she thought. They communicated for about three months before they ever exchanged numbers. What she liked about him most is he was an actor at the local theater in his hometown. He lived about an hour from her. She thought “I can do an hour drive if need be.” She also liked that he was a man of his word. If he said he would contact her he did, even if she didn’t see the message until a day or two later. He didn’t show any signs of ghosting her. He wasn’t pushy nor arrogant, he was pleasant and polite. She felt like she was doing her homework, she looked up the theater he said he worked at. She saw his name on the website. But when she looked up the town in which he said he lived, she noted there had been two murders, unsolved murders at that. She dismissed it because it had nothing to do with him. She did find it strange that he hadn’t mentioned it. But as she thought, he perhaps did too, it had nothing to do with him.

    After three months they exchanged numbers. She enjoyed talking with him, Lewis Cartwright. They talked for hours about their families, lives, and love. He was 42 years old, no kids and never married. His last relationship was about a year ago. He told Chancy his ex-just up and left. He did have a dog, a terrier named Bruce. He did theater acting but was waiting on his big break, a movie. They never talked about when they would meet up until months later. He came from a big family as Chancy had. It wasn’t long after they begin to talk on the phone, he told her he had finally gotten the call for a movie. It was not a big one, more like a B rated kind of thing but a movie non the less. He would be playing the hero. She could see why. His eyes from his pictures on POF were amazing. He stood six feet tall, wavy dark hair and piercing blue eyes. He looked the hero type. Who could resist? Most of his roles in the theater were those of the good guy, the hero. He liked playing the hero he had told her. You could hear the excitement in his voice. The good thing was the production company would be coming to his hometown. This would be great because he didn’t have to travel. The movie was being filmed there. The crew and other cast members would be meeting up soon. Lewis made Chancy promise that when he was done, they would meet up. He told her that while production was going on he wouldn’t be readily available. She promised but she didn’t understand why. He wouldn’t be available for about five to six months. His script arrived the next day and he began reading. He was shocked because the production company didn’t asked him to audition. He did find that strange, but he guessed they picked him because of the videos of his performances from his theater work did the trick. He sent those some time back. That was good enough for him.

     Chancy noticed that Lewis from time to time would either call or text or email her. However, whenever she returned his calls, he was never available. He never returned an email nor responded to her text. She decided he was busy on the picture. One day they finally made contact and it just so happened that the original movie had been cancelled but they liked him so much he was casted for a second one that came up. Again, Lewis was excited about this one as well. Chancy could only think about the tag game they would have to continue to play before they would meet. The first movie went over budget and the producers ran out of money. According to Lewis, the cast didn’t get all their promised pay. He wasn’t too concern because again it was a B rated movie. He was just grateful to have had a chance and was picked for the second one. Lewis tells Chancy that filming starts in two days. He again gave her the spill about not being readily available, but when it was all over, they would meet up, finally.

     Chancy feeling as if she was still in the place she was before she met Lewis. She found herself sharing with Shirley her concerns, who again shot her down. “Shirley you are so negative”, Chancy would protest. “I am not negative Chancy.” “What do you know about this guy? Shirley would ask. Shirley continued, “What’s the names of these so call production companies?” Chancy had to admit she didn’t know the names of the production companies. She didn’t really understand why he wouldn’t be readily available, not even at night before he went to bed. Shirley continued, “Where is he from?” Chancy told her and Shirley quickly typed in the name of Lewis’s town. “Did you know there has been a total of three unsolved murders in this town?” Chancy told her yes, but what she didn’t tell Shirley that when she had first looked up the town it had only been two. “Chancy Stewart you had better be careful.” “You need to do some more research on this guy before you call yourself meeting up with him.” Shirley urged her.” “You know what I told you about these online guys” “They can pretend, and you haven’t ever met him.” “You’ve only seen a picture or pictures that can easily be someone else.” “You ever heard of catfish?” Shirley continued. Chancy replied with a very frustrated, “Yes Shirley I know.” Chancy was almost yelling at Shirley, which made Shirley back down. She had said all she needed to say. “I’m not trying to rain on your parade Chancy, I just want you to be careful.”

    It was easy for Shirley to talk, she was happily married, or at least that was the picture she presented, Chancy thought Shirley spoke as if she had experienced a bad Catfishing. “Shirley”, Chancy begin, “have you ever been catfished?” “No, but I like documentaries about women and young girls being abducted by guys pretending to be what they aren’t” she said. “They are real, crimes are real, and it happens more then people think”, Shirley continued. Chancy had a look of defeat on her face but she knew Shirley was right. She had heard of such incidents. She had one time watched the TV show catfish religiously. She found herself thinking, how can people be so gullible and foolish. And here she was in the same predicament, gullible and foolish. She had to admit she didn’t know as much as she should about Lewis but that was about to change. “Shirley doesn’t you husband have a friend that works at the police station?” Chancy asked. Shirley told her yes and Chancy asked if she would give all the information she had on Lewis to her husband’s friend. Chancy gave Shirley the go ahead to share with her husband everything she knew about Lewis. You could see Shirley’s eyes light up. chancy wrote down his name, email address, everything. “Shirley make sure you tell him I think I’m being Catfished.” Chancy urged. Shirley promised as she put the piece paper Chancy wrote the information down on in her purse. She urged Shirley to tell him he could call at any time if he needed anything else.   

    Chancy hadn’t heard from Lewis in almost a week or two. But in the meantime, she had heard from Shirley’s husband’s friend. Lt. Clark. He called Chancy and asked her to come down to the station at her earliest convenience. She made an appointment with the officer for the next day at 5pm. This was her first time having any business at the police station. She walked up to the receptionist that sat at the front window. “Hi, my name is Chancy Stewart, I’m here to see Lt. Clark.” “Yes Ma’am, he told me you would be coming.” “Let me buzz him.” The lady turned and buzzed, “Lt Clark, your 5 o’clock is here.” The voice that came through was deep and strong, Chancy thought. “Thank you, Alice, please show her through.” Alice touches the white button by her hand and the door clicked and Chancy was told to step in. When she got through the threshold of the door, Alice stood up and pointed, “his office is the second door to the left, just knock.” Chancy noticed all down the hall where pictures of officers, young and old, some looked as if they went back twenty thirty years hanging on the walls. Alice knocked and Lt. Clark opened the door. He was nicely dressed in plain clothes. He was tall and handsome. Chancy was quickly distracted by Shirley and her husband sitting there in Lt. Clark’s office. She wasn’t expecting them. Lt. Clark offered Chancy a seat. She sat down and looked at the Shirley and her husband Will. “Hey guys I wasn’t expecting to see you two.” “I didn’t see either of your cars outside”, Chancy told them. “I know Will chimed in; Clark picked us up.” Lt. Clark told Chancy he had been given the information concerning this Lewis Cartwright. "We did a deep dive Chancy on this guy and you’re lucky”, he told her. “We even forensically looked up his email and found some interesting things.” Clark told Chancy. She sat and listened and was told that Lewis Cartwright was not his real name and couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. The pictures were not of him but of another guy. The pictures were stolen to create the fake POF profile. Just as he was speaking a knock came at the door and Officer Jones steps in and hands Clark a picture. Clark turns and shows Chancy, “this is the guy you’ve been communicating with; his name is Phil Cline.” Clark informed her. Chancy reached for the picture, she looked at it and gasp. Will spoke up, “and that’s not all.” “He’s wanted for murder and has been on the run for about six months", he told her. She found out as the conversation continued, the only thing he was honest about was his "hometown" in which he was now hiding. His first murders, two of them had happened in another state. He had tides in the town he’s in now and couldn’t help himself. The town he had told Chancy was only a hiding place. It was not his hometown as Chancy had thought. Chancy was told that this Phil guy was as fake as a three dollar bill. He was able to get away with it for as long as he did was because he left little or no evidence. He had finally made a mistake and the two law enforcement agencies collaborated and was able to get him. The DNA evidence got him. Officers searched his apartment and Chancy was next on his list. Lt. Clark told her that Cline had it all planned out. “Again you are lucky Chancy” he said. “I am.” Chancy acknowledged. “Shirley, thank you, had it not been for you, I’d be God only knows where “she told Shirley. They hugged and both cried. Will shook Lt. Clark’s hands and thanked him for all his hard work. “I’m just glad I could help” Clark replied. “I’d like to stick around but I am hungry”, he urged rubbing his stomach. “I could eat too”, Will said agreeably. “Clark lets go pull the car around and ladies don’t keep us waiting”., he urged them. “I thank you so much Shirley”, Chancy said with a smiled. “However,” she said slowly, “why hadn’t you told me about Lt. Clark? They hugged each other around the waist and as their laughter filled the room, they slowly made their exit. 

May 25, 2022 22:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Brenda Butler
23:11 May 25, 2022

Enjoyed writing this one!! I hope you enjoy reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.