Truth For Breakfast

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write a story where a meal or dinner goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

2 comments

Friendship Happy Kids

It was a typical morning. I woke up to the fresh smell of my dirty laundry, the birds chirping happily outside my window, and my dog snoring on my pillow. I stepped out of bed into my enormous fancy bedroom. My long brown hair fell in front of my face. My stomach grumbled, a sharp pain spread through my body. I groaned and stumbled to my walk-in closet. I slipped on some clothes and brushed my hair. I left some water and food next to my dog, Cupcake, and walked out of the room. I hopped into the elevator as quickly as I could. I went down to the first floor and spotted an old, beat-up pair of shoes sitting at the door. I was confused since all my family wore fancy designer shoes. It's not like it was much compared to the fortune my dad's company had brought us. And the market was just going up. But I didn't care right then. All I cared about right now was getting some food in my belly. I spotted my parents at the marble table sitting in the comfy chairs my dad bought last week. At the end of the table was a stack of pancakes covered in syrup. I sat and quickly started devouring my food. "Good morning Dorathy" My mother smiled. "Good morning," I replied. I stuffed my mount with the pancakes. "How are they?" My mom asked curiously "Amazing! Where'd you get them?" I asked, "I made them myself." Mom said proudly. I was about to ask what the occasion was when I heard a creak come from the stairs. I froze, my face turning pale. "Mom..." I said whispered slowly. neither of them even looked up from their plates. "Mom," I said sternly. She looked up and said, "What is it, sweetheart?". I was about to tell her what I heard when a dark figure appeared behind my parents. I stared in horror, and a scream escaped my mouth. I jumped up from my seat and backed away slowly, unsure what to do. Only me, my mom, and my dad lived here. And we had no housekeepers, maids, or chefs. We were worried that if we did, we would become too reliant on them and forget how to take care of ourselves. "What's wrong Dorathy," My father asked, obviously concerned. "Behind you!!!" I screamed. They both whipped around and started laughing. "Come over here and introduce yourself," My father said. The figure stepped closer and shuffled around uncomfortably. I could make out a girl around my age with blond hair and green eyes. She was wearing ragged clothes and looked like she only ate once a week. She smiled shyly. "This is Samantha." Mom said. She gestured to the girl standing next to her. I calmed down and sat back down, released a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. "Ok. but what's she doing here?" My parents glanced at each other "She's... your sister." My dad said. "WHAT???" I screamed. "Calm down," My father said sternly. "What am I supposed to do? You bring some random person into our family without even telling me and expect me to be ok with it?" "She's not some random person!" Dad screamed, "Ok, but why wouldn't you tell me?" "We were afraid you would react like this," Dad said, looking a bit ashamed. We all sat in silence for a bit Samantha was the first to talk "So... It's Dorathy, right?" "Yeah," I mumbled, "I never had a sister before." She said, "Me either" I replied, "So mom..." "Yes Honey?" she asked. "When did you decide to adopt her?" I asked "We... didn't adopt her. "What do you mean you didn't adopt her?" I stood up again and examined Samantha. Now that I was looking I realized she had the same blond hair like my dad. And her green eyes were identical to ours. "What are you saying?" They explained that we were twins. Samantha was lost at the hospital somehow and put in an orphanage. "We thought she would have been adopted by now but we were able to find her." "Why didn't you tell me that I had a sister?" I asked, still processing the new information. "We didn't want to cause you any stress." Mom explained, " So how long have you been looking for me?" Samantha asked. I almost screamed. I had forgotten she was there. "Around 11 years." My mom replied. "So you've been looking for her my entire life. I asked. "there were a few months that we had given up hope. But then, we found you." She stroked Samantha's cheek. "So you lived in an orphanage for 11 years?" I asked Samantha "Yeah." my sister replied. "what was it like?" I asked. "Well I had a lot of friends but they all got adopted one by one. I was one of the only kids my age left" She replied "So..." Samantha started "Yes?" my dad asked. "This means we're officially a family?" "We've always been a family. You just got separated from us for a bit" dad said "What about school?" She asked "You will be continuing your academic studies at Dorathy's school," Mom said. "I'm sure Dorathy would be happy to introduce you to everyone when you get there." She said. I wasn't exactly happy that I had to introduce her to everyone. Introductions just weren't my favorite thing. My dad could clearly see that I had become uncomfortable. My dad stood up and put his dish away. "I think that's enough of this conversation for today." He said. "Dorathy, please go show your sister around." "Fine," I said. I showed her the garden, where all the bathrooms were, all the bedrooms, and the rest of the countless rooms all around the house. "You can pick any bedroom you would like," I said to her. Over time me and my sister bonded and she became my best friend. We were inseparable. It seemed everything worked out ok after all.

June 26, 2021 05:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Keith Manos
00:24 Jul 08, 2021

Samantha was lost in the hospital? How did that happen?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Neri Sompanos
20:31 Jun 26, 2021

I love this story! Dorathy and Samantha are so unique and special that the reader can't help but feel close to them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.