2 comments

Christmas

“Mommy, where’s daddy?” My little brother, Anthony asked which made everyone silent. He’s four and doesn’t know what’s happening around him but it makes me happy when he asks that because it means that he doesn’t consider Vincent as a father but it also reminds me that it’s because mom hasn’t told him that dad will never come back.

She just changes the subject, instead of telling him which is very unfair for Anthony; imagine having to wait for your father to come home every night just to wake up on the couch the next morning. “Do you want some more broccolis?” Vincent asked, offering him some.

We were having our first Christmas with them but it’s less fun and more awkward than what we’re used to, in short, the worst Christmas ever. The only thing that’s making it worst is Vincent and Wayne, his son and I hate them both.

Reasons, one Wayne is annoying and has been teasing me nonstop since they moved here. Second, he broke my science project which I worked on for a month and mom didn’t even do anything about it. Third, he thinks that he’s good looking but really, he looks like the blob fish. Fourth, he steals my homework.

I didn’t even accept his father to our family but he already accepted mom as his mother, probably because his father didn’t tell him what he did to his mother.

Vincent’s not as worse but he’s a challenge. No matter how hard I try to avoid him, he still find a way to talk to me and I heard, not just heard, I know that he left his wife for my mom which is the same as what my mom did to my father which makes me think that they’re so perfect for each other. It would be better if they went back to their own house.

“Anna, don’t play with your food,” mom said.

“It’s disgusting,” I whispered in which Vincent heard. Traditions doesn’t need to be changed, they need to stay and be passed on from generations to generations. I just don’t understand why we need to change what we do just because they want to fit in our life.

“Can we open the gifts now mommy?” Anthony asked. Opening our gifts after eating is one of the things we do, dad usually wakes up near noon since he really, really needs rest.

“We’re going to open our gifts at tomorrow honey,” mom answered. She’s joking right?

“But why? Daddy said that we should always open them after dinner.” Anthony asked. Awkward.

“Come on Tony, let’s open our gifts,” I said, helping him get down the chair. I have been wanting to get off that chair since I sat on it.

“Sit back down Anna,” mom said but I didn’t listen. I want to open my gifts and help Anthony open his. It’s not like I’m doing something bad, it’s just opening gifts and following our tradition.

“Which one do you want to open first?” I asked when we got to the living room. We sat in front of our tree that has been up since last year, the one we decorated with dad.

“This one,” he said, pointing at one tiny gift. I took the gift and looked at who it was for.

“You can’t open this Tony. This one’s for me.” From dad. Is Vincent click baiting me? Or is this really from dad?

“Open it then.” Do I really want to?

“I’ll do it later,” I answered as I placed it in my pocket. Mom suddenly burst into the room with Vincent and Wayne behind her.

“Anthony, go to your room. Your sister and I are going to talk,” she said and Tony did as he’s told.

“You’ve been disrespecting me and your father since they got here,” she said, pointing at me. I don’t understand why she needs to scold me.

“He’s not my father,” I said, looking back at her eyes.

“Take that back.” I won’t. I only have one father.

“No, he’s not my father. Don’t even try to push me to like him because I will never like a person like him

“Apologize,” she said while Vincent and Wayne just stood behind her, silent.

“No, I won’t apologize. I just said the truth.” It’s not like I’m lying.

“You hurt his feelings so apologize.” How can I hurt his feelings? I just said what I had to say, something that they can’t seem to understand.

“The both of you hurt his ex-wife’s feelings, did you apologize? As far as I know, you didn’t. I don’t even think she knew about your affair,” I said.

“What? You cheated on mom?” Wayne asked, I knew it.

“He didn’t even tell you. Well, that’s who your father is,” I said and Vincent slapped me.

“Why did you hit her?” Anthony asked. He was peeking through the door of his room.

I smiled at Vincent as he looked at Anthony in shock. “This is why I don’t and will never accept you as a father,” I stated and walked away, going into my room.

I took out dad’s gift and opened it as soon as I got into my room. It was a necklace, a beautiful butterfly necklace. It was laying on a piece of paper, a note.

‘Dear Anna,

I know you’re reading this now that I’m gone. I wrote this as soon as I knew that I won’t be with you for long. That butterfly necklace used to be your grandma’s. I wanted to give it to you when you’re 19 but that probably won’t happen. I’m sorry if I’m leaving you so early, I’m sorry for everything.



I was hoping to see you grow up into a beautiful young woman but I know I won’t last long. I love you; tell Anthony that I love him too and that I will miss you both. I will always be by your side, no matter what.’

Dad, why did you have to leave? Why did you have to die?

November 21, 2020 10:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Llind Kam
16:51 Nov 28, 2020

I was rooting for Vincent, then he slapped Anna and all love was lost. Maybe he lost control because Anna blabbered to his son, still that doesn't justify his actions. I found issue with your tense, you switch tenses throughout the story Example: the opening, it was in past tense then it was switched to present. I know tense is hard. I have great difficulty in getting it right. *Broccoli instead of broccolis *Vincent is not as bad or Vincent is a less worse than .... is correct *unfair to Antony not unfair for Antony *I whispered whi...

Reply

Melody Milano
00:31 Nov 30, 2020

Thank you for the help. I can't really edit it since the story has already been approved but I will make sure to do that on my copy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.