0 comments

Thriller Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

(This story talks about death.)


It was the 3rd of October, late in the afternoon, and there she was again. That old woman. She walked with a slight limp but looked otherwise strong. She came by the apartment complex once a month. Not always on a particular day of the month. It could be either on the 5th, the 16th, or the 30th. But it was always ever once a month. And she never skipped. Not for the past year that Tyler had been keeping an eye out for her anyway.


He observed her through his kitchen window from the third floor. She was ambling along the sidewalk. She stopped suddenly, took out a small note from her pocket, read it, and changed direction, now crossing the street. Eventually, she came to the front door of building C, the one right across from his own building, building A. He couldn’t distinguish what she was doing from a distance, but it seemed she was just standing there in front of the door. Had she rung the doorbell? After a couple of seconds, she pushed open the door and walked right in.


He went and got his coffee, moved a chair over to the kitchen window, and sat looking out at the front door of building C. She would have to leave the building again at some point.


And so she did. Five minutes later, the door to building C opened again, and the old woman with a slight limp walked outside, followed by a young man and woman. She was always followed out. They were around his own age, he guessed. About 25. They walked behind her in a line, the old woman first, the young man, and the young woman. Slowly they rounded the corner of building C, disappearing from his view. He drank some of his coffee.


What’s she all about? he thought to himself, now determined to ask her when she showed up again next month.



*  *  *



The very next day, as he was leaving for work in the morning, he noticed a large moving truck outside building C.



*  *  *



As the sun was quickly setting on the 17th of November, he finally saw the old woman again. She was limping worse this time. He eyed her casually from his kitchen window as she hobbled her way down the deserted sidewalk. This evening was cold.


Where are you going to go this time?


The answer was building E, the one furthest from his own. Damn. He tried to think of a casual way to run into her. It would be impossible to get in front of her from where she was now. He would have to run her down if he wanted to talk to her.


He decided to sneak after her instead. Maybe listen in through the apartment door. Try and figure out what she had been doing here once a month for the past year.


He hurried down the stairs, casually opening the front door and stepping out into the cold wind. He had forgotten his coat. No time for that now.


He walked with great steps toward building E. She was close to the front door now. He sped up slightly, trying to seem casually hurried. Like if he were a couple minutes late for the bus.


She didn’t notice him, and he managed to catch the front door with his foot before it slammed shut behind her. She had braved the first steps already and was luckily out of view of the front door. He quietly and slowly opened the door, stepping inside building E. It looked like his own lobby. Mailboxes, a notice board, and stairs.

He listened to the limping footsteps on the stairs above him. They stopped. Then three short raps on the door. It opened, then closed.

He waited for a while before making his way up the stairs. Step by step, he moved his legs until he was in front of what he thought was the door she had gone through.


Apartment 202. He paced back and forth in front of the door, listening intently. He couldn’t make anything out on the other side. He threw his head back slightly in frustration and then moved closer, pressing his ear against the door. The voices on the other side were muffled. Solemn. Hushed. He listened carefully to the words, trying to discern what was being said. Nothing.


The door opened.


He stood face to face with the old, tiny woman. She was ugly up close. Her large eyes were deep-set and severely darkened. A serious scowl graced her long face. She looked him dead in the eyes and shook her head slowly. He smiled, looked away, and pretended to be on his way up. The old woman began walking away, a young woman in tow. The young woman was looking at the ground.


“Too bad we had to meet you here tonight, Tyler.” croaked a hoarse voice.



*  *  *



The very next day, as he was leaving for work in the morning, he noticed a large moving truck outside building E.



*  *  *



The 21st of November.


Maybe she was some sort of grief counsel. Maybe all those people leaving their homes had lost relatives, and she worked for the church as a messenger. Or something?


Maybe she was the owner of the complex? Coming to evict people, and that’s why she knew his name?


Her demeanor had been intense. She was such a small, fragile woman. He could’ve knocked her out if she had tried anything. But she had carried herself with such might. Such dignity. He hadn’t even dared speak to her.


Now, she loomed over him in the daytime. She engulfed his nights in fright. She filled him with anxiety.

She scared him.



*  *  *



The 29th of November.


He didn’t tell his mom about her this weekend. He had thought he would. But he couldn’t get the words out. He couldn’t explain her. She was like a ghost of dread to him. She was always there. Like a guardian angel protecting him from the shores of peace. Keeping him safe in seas of uncertainty.


Why had she known his name? He didn’t know. He was still pretty new here. He moved in less than two years ago. He didn’t have many friends. His mom lived out of state.

How could she have known who he was?



*  *  *



The 8th of December.


Christmas had assaulted him this year. He usually decorated on the first. The boxes were still in the attic.


His own guardian angel was still with him. Three weeks later.

He chuckled that afternoon, sitting on his couch. At the absurdity of it all. He had blown up this old woman in his mind to be some dangerous monster. Someone who had a reason to go after him.


What was it she had said? “Too bad we had to meet you here tonight, Tyler.”


He tried ridiculing the fear away. There were a million possible reasons why she could’ve known his name. Maybe they had bumped into each other at the coffee shop. On the other hand, she didn’t seem like a person to visit a coffee shop in the morning.


A young couple moved into building E today.



*  *  *



The 26th of December.


Christmas had been good this year. Just him and mom at her place.

It had been nice to sleep somewhere else again. He hadn’t even really thought about the old woman. She didn’t exist. Not here at moms.


But he was going home today. Determined not to let that croaky old woman ruin his days off, he purposefully put her out of his mind, trying to replace her with memories of the new accountant. She had been so nice to him. Came over and helped him decorate. She was nice.



*  *  *



The 31st of December.


Who gets out at seven on New Year’s Eve? This chump.


He was glad to get out of the biting cold. It had stopped snowing, but the wind was bone-chilling. The streets were empty. Everyone was at home, already celebrating the new year.


He rushed up the stairs. He was going to Chris’ party with Jessica. She was single, he now knew. She had asked him out for coffee the other day. It had been fun; she had talked all about her family. Her dreams. Invited him to New Year. He might get to kiss her tonight.

He jiggled the keys in the lock, pushed his way into the room, and turned on the lights. But the lights were already on.


On his couch, a few steps from the door sat his silly fear. The old woman. She cleared her throat slowly.


“What are you doing in my apartment?” he asked aggressively. “Get out, now! I’m calling the police.” He took out his phone and dialed 911.


The old lady didn’t move a muscle.


“911, what’s your emergency?”


“Yes, hi, an old lady has broken into my apartment and refuses to leave.”


“Sir, did you say an old lady?”


“Yes, she was just sitting here on my couch when I got home.”


“Sir, is she threatening you?”


“No, she’s just sitting there. She hasn’t moved or said anything since I’ve entered.”


The operator went silent.


“You must not keep the Gravedigger waiting.”


The operator hung up.


“Hello?” he asked into the phone.


The old woman spoke.


“Come, Tyler. Listen to me for a few short minutes.”


“Listen, woman, get out of my apartment! I don’t care if you’re used to people being chill with you breaking in and lounging around, but I want you out now! I’ve got someplace else to be! So scram!”


He took her by the arm, but she resisted. Fiercely. She pulled her arm back suddenly and glared at him.


“Listen to me right now, Tyler. I will not be thrown out by a ghost man. Listen to my words, then I promise you shall never see me again . Sit, listen, and I will leave with or without you. Throw me out, and my long shadow will cloud your last waking moments.”


He carefully took a seat.


“I am the harbinger of death. The Gravedigger. You have been chosen, Tyler. To leave this plane, to move on. It is your time tonight.”


“What the hell are you talking about? I’m 25, and I’m going to a New Year’s Eve party tonight. If you’re going to be letting out nonsense like some lunatic, please do so when I am not around.”


He rose and walked towards his bedroom. She could sit out here while he changed if she wanted. He didn’t want to miss another second of that party.


“Leave now, Tyler, that’s alright. Death does not care about your location, your state of mind, or what you hope might happen tonight. Death calls, and we heed.”


“I’m not going to heed no call from death tonight, thank you very much. If one of us were going to drop dead, I’d put my money on you, you old bat.”


“The friends I have had to bury. Most of them were friends, yes. Most are friends in this town. Not you, Tyler. Tyler, the stranger. And yet, even so, death has summoned you tonight. Go with me. I will help you take the leap. Or do not, and let the abyss come find you.”


He stared at her. This is insane. What am I doing listening to this woman? But she drew him to her. Her presence was magnificent. She filled the room. She commanded him closer with her simple stare.


“You only fight it because there is a semblance of choice. You think ignoring her call, letting me go, would bring you life. But death is impartial. Death has no rhyme, no reason. Death. She takes, and we are taken. Her grasp clouds us, always. It is not me who has scared you this past month. It is her. And rightly so. Now she has called you.”


“Why do I have to die?” he asked, half-jokingly.


“Why do you have to live? We are all here for the time that we are. We all serve her, and her ways are ancient. In death, there is no choice. In death, there is only the dark embrace.”


“Was it because I bumped into you that day on the stairs? Have you sought me out?”


“Tyler. I do not decide, I only inform. I was saddened to see you in the hallway, sure. The Gravedigger’s task is lonesome. I was saddened she guided me here tonight. But her call for you is out. Her cry fills the waters. She pierces our reality. You must come.”


“Screw getting dressed! I’m going to that party. Kill me if you want to.”


“Tyler,” she called out as he was shutting the front door behind him. “I wish it wasn’t so."



*  *  *



The very next day, as she was leaving for work in the morning, she noticed a large moving truck outside building A.

May 31, 2022 17:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.